Lt.Commander Maz Rodan - Administrator Aperitif

1 view

David H

Oct 14, 2021, 3:33:19 PM10/14/21
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((USS Arrow - Deck 1; Captain's Ready Room))

Rodan: You should have known what you were letting yourself in for when you appointed me. If you wanted a "Yes Man", you picked the wrong Trill.

The Captain gave a sharp bark of laughter; the headier atmosphere of the earlier confrontation was gone.

Shayne: If I wanted a “Yes Man”, I’d have gone into business. I’m not looking to be sucked up to. That said, don’t think your words were close to the most rebellious I’ve heard in this office- you should see Commander Serinus when he’s dead set on something.

Maz smirked and thought for a moment. Serinus might seem uber-official to some, but Maz had come to know the man they knew as their Chief of Security.

Rodan: Rebellious? Serinus? Well... if he ever attempts a mutiny, you can be sure it will be the most planned and meticulous mutiny in the history of, well, ever.

He chuckled to show his meaning was meant in jest. After the dust had settled from before, Maz indicated Raft-One, sitting beyond their bulkheads.

Rodan: So... this T'Vaz. What's her deal?

Shayne: Your guess is as good as mine, though I’ve invited her to dinner for just that reason. Care to join us?

The Trill cocked his head to one side and gave a half-shrug.

Rodan: Well my mother always told me never to decline a gracious invitation.

Shayne: Gracious, yes, but a working dinner. We need to get a firm hand on this woman’s motives. I don’t trust a free lunch- that’s why I’m providing it this time.

So they were going to be doing their own recon on this mysterious Administrator for Forward Refit Station-1. He could get behind that. Every encounter with T'Vaz seemed to entangle them in her graces. Like a fly in a spider's web...

Rodan: Then count me in.

Shayne: I expect Commander MacKenna to join us; I’d like an Intelligence officer there to pick up on things we might not. Any of the senior staff is welcome, as long as they remember the goal.

At the sound of MacKenna's name, Maz subconsciously chewed his lip. This could have been expected. She was an Intel Chief, she knew her way around information. Quite the match for T'Vaz... but somewhere in the back of his mind there was a worrying doubt. What would Shayne do - or react - if the situation went sour and again MacKenna found herself in a tight situation? Who knew? But was it a gamble he could take?

Rodan: I expect her keen insights will be invaluable.

Shayne: Shall I ask chef to prepare you something special? This is your shore leave too, despite the paperwork.

Shore leave. Of course. He'd almost forgotten what shore leave was. The endless PADDwork, the crew evaluations, onboarding new crew, repair schedules... What was there to do on leave? He supposed a perfunctory jaunt around Raft-One was in order. Just for curiosity's sake. A little absentmindedly Maz shook his head in the negative.

Rodan: No, I'm sure anything served will be fine. As long as it's not Klingon...

The acid reflux he suffered after that fateful meal at Wejwa' was enough for all five of his lifetimes.

Shayne: Response

Nodding himself back into the room from his thoughts, he confirmed the invitation.

Rodan: Then I'll see you there.

Shayne: Response

Taking his leave, the young Trill left the room and headed back onto the bridge, where the claw-like tendrils of Raft-One secured the Arrow to its clutches on the viewscreen. An eerie sight to be sure. As he crossed the bridge to the turbolift, he called for Engineering and began another round of follow-up visits. He turned to face the doors once in the lift and tilted his head to one side as something the Captain said finally rang true.

Rodan: We have a chef??

TBC

--
First Officer