Ens. Connor Dewitt - First Hand Experience

Tim

Jun 29, 2022, 5:13:03 AM6/29/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((OOC: Left some tags for Aneesh and Justin out of this sim for it not
to be too long. They can be found in Emma's last sim :) ))

((Interior. Odyssey Station, Corridor Control Waystation 19.))

Dewitt: But if I am being honest, what the greeter talked about...
Finding all the information we need to work out our desires. And to
decide on a destination for the corridor to show. I have no clue if he
wanted us to rig his command console. ::nodding at Hitchcock:: I don't
want to be the second defendant at that trail.

Connor noticed Ayemet being driven away. The center console seemed to
have its particular charm for the El-Aurian. The humming filled the
short silence after Connor had finished his thoughts.

Any: Response

Ar’Gorvalei: ::Looking up from the terminal:: Mr. … Hitchcock is it? …
appears to be uninjured. ::Pauses:: This is odd. According to this data,
he is showing heightened stimulation of the amygdala – that’s the part
of the brain in humans that controls the ‘fight or flight’ reflex, and
decreased activity in the frontal lobes.

Dewitt: That does not sound good... Does the containment field do that
to him?

Connor turned back to the console and had a look at the readings the
young doctor was studying.

Any: Response

Ar’Gorvalei: His confinement could be partially responsible, but given
his hormone levels, this appears to have begun when we entered the
station, if not before. I’m not detecting any external cause, however.

A shiver ran down Connor's spine. Something was effecting their brain
chemistry and fiddling with their feelings and impulses. The feeling of
loss of control came back to him. He noticed how his hands turned a
little sweaty again and his mouth filled with a metallic taste. He
shortly closed his eyes and tried to calm down.

Dewitt: So it's the station? The same thing that is happening to the
telepaths?

At that, Gareth-6 moved up into the group and looked over the tall one's
shoulder at the readings.

Gareth-6: We could allow transport back to your ship if the confinement
is harmful in some manner. Usually we would wait until your destination
has been chosen, but if you allow such behavior on your ship, we will
not judge nor argue.

Connor winced when the greeter started to talk, he had not seen him
approach. He had a hard time figuring out the station. A feeling rose
inside him, that the technical side of the station, the part he could
analyze, understand and maybe control might only be a manifestation of
whatever the station really was in order to allow them to grasp it.

Dewitt: We don't allow such a behaviour. But Mr Hitchcock seems to have
been influenced by unfamiliar circumstances. On the Arrow, our medical
staff might be able to treat him.

He gave Ar'Gorvalei an insecure look as if to continue with an uncertain
oO Right? Oo.

Gareth-6/Any: Response

Dewitt: Please send him directly to sickbay. ::to Ar'Gorvalei:: We might
have to call in Mr Hitchcock's situation?

Gareth-6/Any: Response

Connor lost the faith that Gareth-6 was just a simple hologram, just a
computer program that was made to respond to several inquiries. This
conversation felt much more natural and if Gareth-6 was a hologram, he
must have been much more sophisticated. With that he decided to ask the
question he just had a speculated answer to.

Dewitt: How is it that we can read the information shown on your
consoles? Did you translate them for us?

Gareth-6: The station will show you what you want, you will have to work
out where to go.

Not a very specific answer, but Connor had the feeling that he might
have to live with that. Gareth-6 seemed to have a hard time to
comprehend the way the away team was perceiving the station.

Jacin: Gareth 6, is this the interface?

Connor turned to the science officer.

Dewitt: Interface for what?

Gareth 6/Ar'Gorvalei/Collins: Response?

Jacin: So in theory someone would put a hand  :indicating the blank
sections: here and here and that would enable a connection to the machine?

Dewitt: You want to connect to the machine? ::pause:: Is that why there
is no command functionality in the console? Is it a telepathic
connection the station is looking for?

Connor was not able to fully assess the situation. Whatever
communication the station or anybody among the station had already
conducted with Ayemet, it seemed to be enough for her to be drawn to
this main console and to the option to connect to it. But what was the
purpose? On a Starfleet vessel there was the staff employing technology
to achive their goals. Technology that Connor was skilled in maintaining
and controlling. Here, he was not even sure if there was staff. Nor was
he sure there was a strict distincition between staff and the technology
that made up the station or if that station was not only a manifestation
of some beings living on some higher plane of existence.

Gareth 6/Ar'Gorvalei/Collins: Response

If a connection was what the station was looking for, it probably was a
logical choice to let Ayemet try it. She had been communicating with the
station since a couple of hours. She knew it. Connor had to smile at
himself as he started to walk around the circular console to look at the
other sides of it. There he was, evaluating it as the best option to
hook a friend up to a giant alien console that carried enough energy to
eradicate a planet. He just heard the distant voices of the greeter and
the others as he wandered around the station.

Gareth-6: We understand the Ways have been forgotten. We have been
forgotten. How can I assist you in remembering how to use this station?

Jacin: Commander Collins, we need to explore this station more. I can
that is literally what we are isn’t it? Explorers. This is an incredible
opportunity. We should be making the most of it.

Ar'Gorvalei/Collins/Nakada: Response

More of the same interfaces Ayemet had discovered on the side of the
console they had been working on. More of the same displays they had
already seen. He took out his tricorder to scan the access ports,
although not sure if that would be of any use.

Jacin: I interface with the station here. I can download any information
whilst you all explore the Station and by the time you return Ill have
the information  and we can return to Earth, or wherever we think
Captain Shayne and Commander Mackenzie are.

His scans showed nothing but some low energy conduits supplying the
interfaces with energy. He took his right hand at started to approach
the interface. It started to show a faint blue glow upon approach that
started to get more and more intense as his hand approached the interface.

Ar'Gorvalei/Collins: Response

Jacin: Okay So Ensign Dewitt or Lieutenant Ar’Gorvalei can remain with
me an monitor me. You know this makes sense Commander. Its what the very
purpose of Starfleet is.

Nakada/Ar'Gorvalei/Collins/Gareth-6: Response

He started to feel the fascination, Ayemet must have already felt
before. Although he wasn't sure that the machine could do anything to
him, since he had no telepathic abilites at all, he wondered what it
might feel like. The caution he had felt a couple of minutes ago was
almost gone and while he asked himself for a second if that might be a
similar effect to what Hitchcock had experienced, that thought was gone
as the interface began to suck in his right hand. With a mechanical
clack a belt fixed his hand in place and Connor let out a short shriek.

TAG/TBC

--
---
Ens. Connor Dewitt