Cmdr. Karrod Niac - Computer, End Program

1 view

Karrod Niac

Jan 7, 2023, 10:25:37 PM1/7/23
to USS Arrow – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((OOC:  Wrapping this one up since our mission is off and running - thanks for jumping in!))

((Simulation of Siamass Living Murals, Hologrid 1, USS Arrow))

Karrod's reputation for gruffness was well earned but in these surroundings and with a young officer just at the beginning of her journey in Starfleet, he felt an odd sort of bittersweet calm.  He smiled at the Cadet as he considered the various living murals.  Some on the walls and others were simply standing there in a uniform.

Niac:  If I had it to do over again?  Oh, I think I'd still let them sublet.  They don't get on my nerves all that often anymore.  We've managed to develop a mostly successful partnership.

Perim:  Response

Collins: Commander, Cadet! I hope you'll forgive the intrusion...I had meant to help, but it looks like you both beat me to it.

Karrod turned in surprise, having all but forgotten they were in the holosuite.  His brief moment of tranquility ended and Karrod felt every sore muscle and pulled tendon he'd accumulated over the last six and a half hours of physical labor all at once.  He acknowledged the ships CSO, a young officer named Collins he didn't yet know well, with a nod.

Niac:  No intrusion, Mr. Collins and no apologies necessary.  I got a start on the work and the Cadet here provided some much needed assistance.   You might consider putting her to work in your department when she graduates...she'd be an asset to your team.

Perim: RESPONSE

Collins: Nah, I probably would have just gotten in the way, honestly. This is...outstanding work. Truly.

Karrod took another diagnostic look around the hologrid, reducing the beautiful array of living art back to the interplay of photons and forcefields that brought the simulation to life.  He'd asked the Cadet to come up with something to test the holographic systems and she had more than delivered.

Niac:  A lot of the credit goes to your former Chief Engineer, she got a lot of the hard work done.  We just finished what she started.  Now I'm happy to say the Arrow is the proud owner of two entirely functional holosuites.  I suggest you book time soon, once I let the crew know I suspect these things will get a lot of use.

Perim: RESPONSE

Collins: This IS Siamass, correct? I read about the Murals, years ago. But actually seeing them...::all he could do was whistle and try to see the stuff he hadn't yet.::

Karrod smiled, Armo's memories of her time in the place and the peace she'd found there bubbling to the surface.

Niac:  Yeah they are...special.  Bit more than I realized.  Thanks for suggesting this Cadet...you've earned a fair few brownie points with one of Niac's past hosts.

Perim: RESPONSE

Collins: I mean...not too shabby for a first run. I would have picked something dorky, I'm sure.

Karrod rolled his shoulders and winced at the variety of pops and crunches that followed.

Niac:  You'll have your chance, Mr. Collins, but I swear if I see one 'Captain Proton' in the sim logs I'm having your comm badge locked out of the suites.

Karrod smirked, mostly kidding.

Perim: RESPONSE

Collins:  Response

With exhaustion creeping into his joints and a fair bit of cleanup work left to do, Karrod made his way towards the arch and the waiting hoversled of empty component cases in the vestibule outside.

Niac:  You'll have to tell me about that the next time I see you.  Until then I'm going to go return some of this gear to engineering before they report it missing and then try to remember where my quarters are.  Cadet, an old friend of mine had an expression of thanks that I always liked...'that's a beer I owe you.'  Next time we're on shoreleave, I'm buying.  ::He turned towards their Science officer and waved as he headed out the door.::  Mr. Collins, enjoy the Arrow's new facilities.  Try not to wreck them.

Perim/Collins:  Response

Karrod smiled under his beard as he headed out of the holosuite and began pushing the hoversled back out into the hallway.  It had taken far longer than he'd expected and he was sure there were one or two 'extra parts' still on the cart which he hoped weren't terribly important but the systems had behaved as well as he could've hoped.  His unexpected journey back to Trill had also awoken something in him he didn't entirely know what to do with.

For the first time in his long career, he felt homesick for a place he'd rushed to leave and rarely returned to.  The feeling followed him around the ship, hanging around his shoulders as he showered and slipping into his dreams as he put his head to his pillow.

Tags/End for Niac!

Commander Karrod Niac
First Officer
USS Arrow - NCC-69829