Cmdr. Karrod Niac - Synthetic Pursuits

1 view

Karrod Niac

Jan 2, 2023, 2:54:42 PM1/2/23
to USS Arrow – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((Deck 4, Section 7 - USS Arrow))

Niac: Afternoon...or, evening, is it? I don't believe we've met - Cmdr. Karrod Niac, I'm the ships new XO.

Karrod wiped his hands on a workrag and tried not to look quite as disheveled as he felt.  The young woman snapped to attention so stiffly that it made Karrod's back ache.

Perim: Cadet Jenna Perim, pleased to meet you... Sir!

Niac: Good to meet you. Don't suppose you've got a few spare minutes? ::Karrod nodded towards the still significant pile of components:: I'm trying to get this hologrid online and I could use an extra set of hands.

Perim: I am all yours. Actually, I just learned about this holodeck.

Karrod turned back to the ODN junction that had become his nemesis over the past hour.
Niac: I think you might fit behind the wall a little better than I do.  Grab a flux coupler and see if you can get that ODN bypass seated correctly.  I've tried three times and at this point, I think it's not working out of sheer spite.

Perim: I have to admit to missing Trill a little. A holodeck could definitely help with that. It is like having a piece of home on the ship. ::she paused a little as she thought about all the places she could visit:: Where on Trill are you from?

Karrod smiled down at the pair of feet sticking out of the wall and considered the question.

Niac:  I grew up just outside Mak'ala but I left just about as soon as I could.  Spent nearly thirty years in the fleet and was back at Starfleet Command in San Francisco for a few years before I had the bright idea of visiting Trill.  It's how I ended up with my passenger ::Karrod poked his midsection with a thumb:: Niac.  Never planned on being one of the Joined and it's been a difficult adjustment but we've managed to get along without killing eachother so far.  How about you?

Perim:  Response

He heard a click and the whir of power flowing to the ODN conduit and the hologrid itself began, finally, charging.  Karrod smiled as the young woman slid out of the wall.

Niac:  Well in that case you've got a great reason to help me get this place up and running.  Niac's first host, Rostil, was a master chef.  He even had a little place in the capital about a century ago - Cafe Manev.  Because he was getting on my nerves about it a while back, I recreated the entire thing on the holodeck while I served on the Excalibur.  Even managed to get pretty good at cooking myself, even if Rostil doesn't like to admit it.  You help me get this place working and you can be Cafe Manev's first guest on the Arrow.

Perim:  Response

Karrod nodded and grabbed a heavy holoemitter off the sled.

Niac:  Just need to install six more of these, calibrate the grid and then make sure it can talk to the main computer.  Piece of cake, hour, tops.

Perim:  Response

((Two and a half hours later))

Karrod was sweating.  He was sore.  He'd somehow managed to singe his beard, jam two fingers and bash his elbow into something that was harder than it had any right to be.  But it was all worth it.  The grid was charged, the holoemitters were going through their final diagnostics and the hoversled, with the exception of a pile of tools and empty storage boxes, contained no more equipment to install.  They were very nearly ready.  Cadet Perim had been invaluable, both in her computer systems acumen and her ability to sneak into places that Karrod's broad shoulders made untenable, and between the two they'd managed a minor miracle.  As he rolled his head and shoulders, eliciting a variety of pops and crunches, the computer chimed.

Computer:  =/\= Hologrid calibration complete.  Level One Holosuite Diagnostics Complete.  Holographic Database Online.  Primary and Secondary ODN relays Online.  Independent power systems online.  Holosuite System Online. =/\=

Karrod's smile was tired but deeply satisfied.  They'd done it.  Now there was only one final thing to do.

Niac:  Damn fine work, Cadet.  Considering how much you helped, I think you should give it the first try.

Perim:  Response

Karrod put a hand up and smiled.

Niac:  Entirely up to you, give it a proper workout before we let the crew get in here and mess up the joint.

Perim:  Response

Tags/TBC!

Commander Karrod Niac
First Officer