LT (jg) Zenno - Supplication Snafu

Cobalt Penumbra

Jan 11, 2024, 10:51:18 PMJan 11
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((OOC - This makes reference to Zenno’s recent trip with his Academy friend Saava. All recounted in these JPs below. ))

((OOC JP Part 1: She Ain’t Heavy, She’s my Sister, Parts 1A and 1B. ))

((OOC JP Part 2: Serendipitous Shuttle Shenanigans, Parts 2A and 2B.))

((OOC JP Part 3: Don’t You (Forget About Me) Parts 3A and 3B.))

((OOC And there is a whole Wiki article on Bolian Water Sculptures. Also, a Denatusi is a kind of a sheep native to Bolarus IX))

((Zenno’s Place, Deck 3, USS Arrow))

The chrono seemed to go too slowly. Calls off the ship always required managing time changes and this appointment wasn’t easy to get. Zenno had checked and rechecked to make sure that everything was in order. He had put on his best uniform and made sure everything in the background was spotless.

He had practiced his story several times. But there were so many unknowns. He knew that the Ajahi Mailos could be a mysterious and persnickety bunch. But all that he had heard was rumors and whispers. No one had ever talked about how these interviews went or what he was going to be asked. Precious little tactical data was available. He was going to have to wing it.

Finally the chrono showed the correct time and with some trepidation he touched the “Connect” button on the screen. There was a pause while the system attempted to connect via subspace. Did he have the time right? Would they answer? No, he had it correct. If they didn’t answer it was because they were very busy and they probably had no time to speak to a lesser son of an off-world family of no status.

To his surprise, the call connected and he was faced with a very young person. This was not at all what he had expected.

Zenno: Uhh.. May the waters bless our meeting, Artisan Rexxa.

The Attendant rolled her finger down her cheek in exasperation or disbelief.

Attendant: I am not the Artisan. You are the one called Zenno?

Zenno: Uhh.. yes?

Attendant: The Artisan will see you now. Stand by.

The screen clicked into a hold image and Zenno felt his guts shift in his body. He had probably already screwed this up royally. He had never even tried to commission an Ajah Mai before. He had looked at the listings and carefully deliberated over his choice of artist. He had sent Rexxa’s shop his supplication but he had not expected that they would grant him a meeting. He was sure he was going to end up with one of the new trendy craftsmen that didn’t have a back catalog. Who even knew what they would make for him? It was all such a gamble.

The screen clicked on and a stunningly elegant older Bolian woman appeared. She had the red tattoo of the Ajahi Mailos below her right eye and Zenno felt even more foolish for mistaking the Attendant for the famed Rexxa. He should have noticed that she didn’t have the tattoo. He was sure that the Attendant would report on this and his chance of being able to place this commission just went to zero.

Ajahi Mailos Rexxa: Speak.

Zenno was not expecting such bluntness. But he had prepared his speech very carefully.

Zenno: May the waters bless our meeting, Artisan Rexxa.

He paused, but there was no reply.

Zenno: *ahem* I wish to have the honor of placing a commission with you. Your work captures something that speaks to my heart and it would be a…

Ajahi Mailos Rexxa: Stop. Your words are as the bleating of mating Denatusi. I am old and may die soon. Your blathering may hasten it. Speak as if the storm approaches.

The Security Officer collected himself. This was not expected at all. Rexxa was one of the most well-known of the Ajahi Mailos. While most members of the order were reclusive, her works were known by every Bolian. In his imagining, he thought she was going to be a free spirit. But this was entirely different, and it may turn out to his benefit.

Zenno: Apologies. ::Open gesture:: I am Zenno and I wish to order my first Ajah Mai. I have a loss to commemorate and the burden of it is very great.

Ajahi Mailos Rexxa: You presume much by making supplication here for your first one. You do have others that were gifted or passed to you?

Zenno: Of course. I have one and it was given to me…

Ajahi Mailos Rexxa: Show it to me. Do it now. I care not who gave it to you.

Zenno nodded his reply and indicated that he had to rise and get it. The one he had was from his Mother and it had been by his bedside since the day he left home for Starfleet Academy. Once retrieved, he held it up for the Artisan’s inspection.

Ajahi Mailos Rexxa: Show me all the sides. ::beat:: Now the bottom. ::She nods:: I know this work. ::She sits back, her inspection completed:: Do you know who made that?

Zenno was deeply uncomfortable with this entire line of questioning. His mother had practically begged him to take it and he had had no interest in taking this bauble from home. He had only done so to placate her. So he had not asked her any questions.

He shifted in his seat. But then he made a decision.

Zenno: ::Embarrassed:: I do not. I had never asked. I thought this whole tradition was silly and I only took this one to satisfy my Mother. But ::pauses:: I have had a change in my thinking of late. I see the wisdom of this tradition and I want to honor it.

She looked at him and moved her head slightly to one side.

Ajahi Mailos Rexxa: Now we come to the truth of it. We should have begun there.

Zenno: Apologies, Honored Artisan.

Ajahi Mailos Rexxa: I note a repair on the pedestal. How was it damaged and who repaired it? Speak only the truth. I will know if otherwise.

Somehow, Zenno thought she would know if he tried to dissemble.

Zenno: I had gone to a Starfleet school and I brought it with me. During an inspection, our Training Officers were displeased with our dormitory cleanliness. They had quite a rampage and broke a great number of things. There was an Artisan in Marakoss City on Deneva Prime that did the repair.

She leaned in and studied his face for a moment. With a breath, she sat back and considered him again.

Zenno realized that there was a chance she might accept, which was exciting.

Ajahi Mailos Rexxa: Tell me what you wish to honor and tell me of the water.

Zenno recounted the events of the recent Parrises Squares contest, the discovery of the fixed games, and their violent escape from the gang that had arranged the fix. He spoke of the rain water from the event and how it was preserved.

Zenno: And so now we know we will never go to another major event. It would be unsafe. And I love the Squares, I played for years with my friend. The same one who went with me to the Classic on Theta Reticuli IX. It was a great reason to be together. This… this wounds. And that’s why I came to you.

Ajahi Mailos Rexxa: Speak of this friend.

Zenno: That is Saava. A Vulcan. We met at Starfleet Academy in our first week. We have been friends ever since. She’s a nurse and assigned to a ship far away from where I am.  We played the Squares in the intramurals and in some Leagues. ::pauses:: I do blame myself a bit. If I had not shown her the Parrises Shuttle we found, something used in the game that had been tampered with, none of this would have happened. And right now we would be making plans for visiting another tournament. I would have relished that. The planning, the trip, the time together. If you take this commission, Honored Artisan, I should seek another Ajahi Mailos and have something made to note that loss as well.

He paused, to see if she had more questions. But none appearing, he took a risk.

Zenno: Artisan Rexxa, will you accept my supplication and craft the Ajah Mai I have requested?

He waited without taking a breath. But her response was sure, swift, and final.

Ajahi Mailos Rexxa: No. You will not have this work by my hands. I reject the commission.

Zenno’s heart felt like it was going to beat right out of his chest. Many feelings swirled around but he had prepared for this outcome.

Zenno: ::With humility:: I understand. It was kind of you to meet with me. Thank you.

He reached for the control to end the call.

Ajahi Mailos Rexxa: I say when we are done speaking. You do not.

Zenno was chastened. Now would come the lecture on how it was height of arrogance for a young man of no consequence to ask a commission of one so great as Rexxa.

Ajahi Mailos Rexxa: I rejected the first commission. I accept the second. You will have your sculpture, Zenno. We will put our thoughts to the design immediately. And one of my apprentices here will work on the first commission for you. You’ll work out the terms separately.

Zenno: But… But I had not made the proper supplication for the second one! It was something I am still thinking about!

Ajahi Mailos Rexxa: I see that Starfleet likes them dense in the head. I am Ajahi Mailos Rexxa and I accept or reject commissions at my whim. Now shall we discuss the terms, prices, and delivery? Or will you just return to once again bleating like a sheep?

Zenno: No, Honored Artisan. No more bleating.

They had many more specifics to discuss, but that hardly mattered. The only concern Zenno had at that moment was how to conduct these negotiations with such a joyous feeling in his heart.

NT/END

Lt (jg) Zenno

Acting Security Chief

USS Arrow