Capt. Shayne: Well-Deserved

Quinn

Nov 8, 2021, 12:49:50 PM11/8/21
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Raft-ONE - "Smiley's"; Function Room))

He liked being right.

Well, alright, most of the time he hated. The paranoia he carried himself with, contained behind a veneer of calm control, usually kept him safer, and his crew more alive, than the attitudes of his more adventurous contemporaries. Unfortunately, that meant that he’d developed an almost compulsive distaste of being correct, for being correct usually meant that the worst had happened. Death, destruction, disease- there was always something to be right about.

But now and again- with now being more prevalent- his crew would come through in a big way, and more specifically, an unexpected way. He knew, roughly, what he could count on his staff for, especially those that he’d worked with for the duration of his command. Of course, the newer folks- Ensign Jacin (whom he’d embarrassed at the dinner and still cringed about) was still something of an unknown quantity, but their performance during the rescue/hostage retrieval/mission that never actually happened impressed him. Ar’Gorvalei, too, was someone he’d need to learn more about, but his professionalism appealed to the captain greatly.

And now, as he stood in the large, somewhat tasteful function room, he could not help but smile to himself. He was early, but fashionably so, rigged in his full ocean-going best. White pants and shirts were enemies of banquets- the captain referred to them as stain bait on more than one occasion- but he felt smart in them, despite his complaints.

The first guests arrived, and Shayne busied himself with the preparations for the presentations. Already the awards and such were layed out, and he knew who was getting what like the back of his hand, but at the same time, the tension that wound up within him before getting on a stage was immense. The room continued to fill, and with the more socially adept Rodan acting as a cross between host and leader, Shayne was able to get himself into the proper mindset. Saying a silent word of thanks to the first officer, he moved to the stage, and tried not to blush fiercely as the voices began to die down.

Shayne: Ladies and gentlemen of the Federation Starship Arrow, I am dismayed.

Shayne delighted in a few of the smiles faltering slightly from within the crowds. He contained his own and continued.

Shayne: It is commonly understood that the amount of ribbons presented to a crew is directly proportional to the relative heroism that crew displayed, and more importantly, the danger the crew took on for themselves. Ladies and gentlemen…

He moved so that the sheer size of the stack before him was placed fully into perspective against his large body.

Shayne: …good freaking grief.

A chuckle or two murmured their ways through the crowds.

Shayne: So it is with that in mind that I will not be calling individuals to the stands on this occasion. By the time you each came up, and went back down, we will have eroded the ground beneath us, and as we are guests on this station…

Even that was tongue in cheek. It seemed a good number of people didn’t enjoy being made a spectacle of. Shayne would respect that in his roundabout way, but one person on the crew wouldn’t be able to escape a moment of well-intentioned attention…

Shayne: But that shall not save you from the vice of my appreciation, or Starfleet Command’s continual war on lightweight chests.

His eyes stared down for a moment, horrified by his own faux pas.

Shayne: In any case!

He drew himself up to full height, the flash in his eyes official, the bearing in his body commanding. However fun this was designed to be, these were awards, provided to those men and women who had earned them at great risk to life and limb. He would not dilute them with humor.

Not much, anyway.

Shayne: First and foremost, we have the Purple Hearts. I say Purple Hearts because, once again, we have multiple wounded officers. Please stop earning these. Nevertheless, it is my… dubious honor to present Purple Hearts to Commander Maz Rodan, Commander Ash MacKenna, and Commander Quentin Collins, for various injuries sustained in the line of duty. Please stand and be recognized, commanders.

MacKenna/Rodan/Collins: Response

The applause rose and Shayne moved to the next awards from his significant pile.

Shayne: I say without irony that setting oneself apart through courage and fortitude on this ship is challenging. Each of you has my profound respect. Nevertheless, we have officers among us whose actions demand special attention. Commanders Collins and Serinus, for actions of exceptional valor during our previous engagements, I am pleased to award you the Legion of Merit. Please stand and be recognized.

Serinus/Collins: Response

More applause, and though Shayne was pleased for them, they were rapidly approaching some of the more painful indications that the last mission had cost them dearly.

Shayne: The unknown demands our best, and through our efforts, we deliver. Often, these attempts are risky, painful, and deeply dangerous. To maintain good character and resolve throughout is worthy of merit and note. Thus, it is my pleasure to award the Good Conduct Ribbon to the following individuals: Commanders Rodan and Serinus, and Lieutenants Caden, Waters, R’Ariel and DeBarres, who is unfortunately not able to join us this evening. Please stand and be recognized.

The number of awardees were large enough so that there was a slightly audible difference in the volume of the applause, but Shayne compensated with his own meaty handslaps.

Rodan/Serinus/Waters/R’Ariel/Caden: Response

Shayne: Thank you all. Indeed, one of the most difficult challenges I can imagine is coming aboard a starship and being thrust into the action before you’ve even had a chance to understand what was going on. I’ve been there. It’s not fun. And yet, Ensign Ar’Gorvalei conducted himself with unique professionalism and dedication. For services rendered under extraordinary circumstances, I am pleased to award Ensign Ar’Gorvalei the Captain’s Commendation. Please stand and be recognized, Ensign.

The attention turned to the now upright ensign and Shayne continued.

Shayne: I’m pleased to announce the entire crew will be awarded the Explorer’s Ribbon for the discovery of the Hulk, as well as the Gorn Campaign Ribbon.

There it was. The ugly mark hanging over them all. No avoiding it now. His tone grew more somber.

Shayne: It is no secret that this mission cost us two of our own. Were it not for their sacrifice, it would have cost us more bloodshed. Formal funeral services will be held before we leave Raft One, and I would encourage each of you to attend. However, I feel it important to recognize the bravery and courage shown by Staff Sergeant Nicklaus Harris, and Corporal Dravos Sh’Relle by posthumously awarding them both the Federation Cross, and the Gold Lifesaving Ribbon. It is my hope you will keep their memories, and their families, in your thoughts at this most difficult time.

The silence cut deep, and Shayne valued his crew’s empathy. And speaking of empathy…

Shayne: And yet, it feels wrong to end this presentation on a note of death, when their sacrifice allowed life to continue and flourish. As such, there is one final order of business to consider. Lieutenant R’Ariel, please join me on the stage.

The one exception began her trek through the assembled chairs, slinking her way through the crowds in her graceful way, and arrived beside him next to the podium.

Shayne: Lieutenant R’Ariel, eighty people at a time have trusted you with their mental health, their difficult choices, and their painful traumas. Never once, in the years of service you have provided to this crew, and Starfleet as a whole, have you ever let us down. Never once have you stepped away from a person in need. Never once have you shied away from a solid challenge. I am not sure where we would be without you, and I don’t think I want to guess. Regardless, for your unflagging humanitarianism, for your unrelenting service, and your unfailing support of the ideals this Federation stands for, it is my solemn duty and great pride to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Commander, with all the rights and responsibilities concurrent with that designation. Congratulations, and thank you.

R’Ariel: Response

Shayne offered the black box to her, which contained the pip, and crossed his arms to shake her hand with respectful vigor. The applause rose significantly, and Shayne pulled back, smiled genuinely, and clapped all the harder. She had earned this. Indeed, there were several officers who might be joining her in a matter of months. His pride felt parental, and it was overwhelming.

Shayne: This concludes tonight’s official presentation- but the fun is just beginning! Enjoy yourself, for we’ll be departing Raft One at a moment’s notice in the coming days.

He realized too late that he’d nearly referenced their possibility of death in poetic form. Something to avoid.

He hoped they would…

TBC…

Captain Randal Shayne
Commanding Officer