Lt. Robin Hopper: Conclusions, Beginnings

Robin Hopper

Jan 21, 2023, 8:10:04 PM1/21/23
to Amity Outpost

((OOC Note – I am indulging in some “Flashbacks” to relevant moments from Robin’s time on Amity thus far. Since these are not new tags / not experienced by other characters, when responding you should not include these in your own sims.))

((1400 Hours - Chief of Mission’s Office, Copernicus Center Level 15 - Amity Outpost))

Robin almost felt at peace. With things finally starting to feel ‘back to normal’ on the Outpost – staff and crew returning after their various end-of-year holiday travels – the empty longing feeling that had been forming an unfillable pit in her stomach had nearly vanished. But, while the station no longer felt so ‘empty’ or ‘cold’ as it had leading up to New Years, it now felt tense. The end of 2399 and the beginning of a new century felt poised to usher in a century of success – diplomacy, alliances, and new discoveries… or else, further division, conflict, new dangers.

All of this weighed on her, though she did her best to look forward with optimism. That was, as far as she was concerned, a foundational principle of what serving as a Starfleet Officer meant: facing the realities of today with temerity born of hope for a better tomorrow. It wasn’t enough to “go”, one had to “boldly” go… and so they would.

Vataix: Hello, all! I hope everyone had a wonderful Federation New Year's!

Any: Response

As Rivi took the stage, Robin looked around the room at the gathered faces – familiar and new – and smiled. There was a general applause at the Ambassador’s warm welcome and she found herself shaken out of her lingering doubts, joining in with the crowd and the table of junior Science Officers around her. It was easier to forget about your worries when you were surrounded by friends, colleagues, and a shared sense of purpose.

Her eye lingered for a moment on a new officer – fresh off the starliner by the look of her lone pip – across the room.  oO That must be Ensign Veers! Oo  The name had come up several weeks ago in her PADDwork for the day. Robin made a mental note to set up a meeting with the new officer as soon as was feasible. There was a lot to get her up to speed on.

Vataix: Before we get into the details of our next mission, there is important outpost business that *must* be attended to--starting with a recognition of your past actions over these last couple of missions. Wil?

Rivi turned to Commander Ukinix. Robin leaned back in her seat, taking a sip of her water as he spoke. She wondered, briefly, if he too felt a pang of worry for the year ahead – or if his cousin’s recent success on Betazed and his time off on Earth had rejuvenated him.

Ukinix: Response

Vataix: All right, let's first address your actions as a crew during the mission with the Trenvonn. Ensign S'Raga?

The light raised slightly in the room, and Robin turned to look towards the Command section of the assembled guests. She grinned – reassuringly, she hoped – as the stunned Caitian Ensign stood and made his way towards the stage.

S'Raga: Yes, Ambassador?

Vataix: For sustaining injury during the line of duty, you are hereby recognized with the Purple Heart.

Poor S’Raga. The Academy prepared Cadets for the possibility of danger when they began their assignments – but nobody truly believed that they’d face the prospect of death on their first mission…

((Flashback, Several Months Ago – Idrustix))

Robin walked swiftly across the campsite, weaving through accommodation pods, phaser still at the ready as she unslung it from her shoulder. While she wasn’t prepared to go unarmed, it was going to get in her way. Her eyes scanned the treeline, darting from one source of movement to another.

Hopper: Ensign S’Raga – can you hear me? S’Raga?!

She removed her tricorder from her hip and, as she neared the downed Ensign, she dropped her phaser rifle on the ground beside him – crouching and removing the detachable medical scanner from the tricorder, scanning his vitals. The Caitian’s eyes fluttered, but did not open.

S'Raga: R...Robin?..

Hopper: Yes. Yes, it’s me. You’ve been hit by fire, but you’re going to be okay. I’m assessing your injuries now so that I can stabilize y–

As she said that, he slumped. A glance at her tricorder told her that he was unconscious. Not comatose… more like sedated. She shook her head, trying to make sense of it. Robin wished Ikaia was here – or Alieth. They’d know what to do.

In her two years aboard the Wall Street, nothing like this had ever happened. She worried that her skills were rusty, untested… She was just going to have to do her best. While the others secured the area, she focused on identifying S’Raga’s injuries and how to treat them.

Ukinix(H):  ::While still pointing phaser and staring ahead:: Tani, it looks clear, can you give Robin a hand?

Lekasa: ::nods:: Yes.

Grurg: ::Looking at her own tricorder:: The device is disabled, commander.

Ukinix(H): Then find out how that thing passed our sensors.

Grurg: Aye sir!

Ukinix(H): Hopper, report, how’s S’Raga.

Hopper: I’m trying to figure it out, but I’m a physicist, not a doctor. His vitals are going crazy.

Thankfully, the orbs weren’t firing tetryon beams, the injuries from which could be quite serious. All the same, things weren’t looking good. The Caitian had sustained superficial first degree burns where he had been struck, the front of his uniform and underlying fur singed and blackened.

Lohani: By the Four… Is he going to live?

Hopper: Yes…  oO I  $@#%ing hope so. Oo  We should get him to cover as soon as I determine if he can be moved.  ::To Lekasa::  Tani – I need an accommodation pod ready to go, okay?

Lekasa: Okay, I'll get that set up.

Hopper: ::To Lohani::  If you want to help, bring me the case of hyposprays. He’s going to need an injection.

Vananth-Polgonz nodded, moving back into the campsite.

Ukinix(H): How’s he looking?

More puzzling than the superficial burns he’d sustained was S’Raga’s elevated white blood cell count, histamine and tryptase levels, and plummeting blood pressure  – it was as if the energy being emitted from the orb device had triggered some sort of hyper immune response. If that was the case… She ran the medical scanner over his trachea. His airways were closing up.

Hopper: I think he’s going into anaphylaxis…  ::Shouting for Lohani::  I need those hypos. Now!

((End Flashback))

S'Raga: Thank you, sirs.

Robin shook her head and let out a grateful sigh. While she would never wish that experience on anyone – that incident, that mission, had been a trial by fire for them both, and surviving it had cemented their friendship.

Ukinix: Response

Any: Response

Robin made sure to intercept S’Raga on his way back to his table, tapping the Ensign on his back before he could take his seat and embracing him in a gentle hug.

Hopper: ::Whispering in his ear::  Just don’t ever earn this one again, okay?

As they both returned to their seats, Rivi continued the ceremony.

Vataix: Next, John... ::Looking towards Counselor Carter.:: For finding a way to take a shuttle to the surface of Idrustix through the Trenvonn's interference, you are hereby recognized with the Captain's Commendation.

Vataix: Finally, all Starfleet officers who were part of the mission with the Trenvonn are hereby awarded the First Contact Ribbon for making first contact with a new species.

There was another general applause. The mission, while trying, had resulted in a tenuous partnership with the isolationist Trenvonn species, whose desire for knowledge rivalled that of the most tenacious Federation scientists. It was Robin’s hope that, with enough time, the two societies might learn from one another and perhaps find ways to better care for the Quadrant they now shared.

Any: Response

Vataix: Next, I'd like to recognize the actions of Lieutenant Bec Iko. Bec?

Iko: Response

Vataix: Because of your actions on Betazed, you uncovered the truth of a scandal and mystery that hung over a shamed house. For your investigation into the theft of Project Blue, I hereby recognize you with the Starfleet Investigation Ribbon. Congratulations and thank you.

Iko: Response

Keehani: Response

Ukinix/Any: Response

Robin was definitely going to have to ask Bec about that mission the next chance she had. The account she’d gotten from Nathan Richards had left her wanting more – and she already had plenty to grill him about. oO If only I could remember which of those Noble Houses was which… Oo  she lamented, dedicating herself to sitting down and properly studying the Houses.  oO After all, didn’t S’Raga say that there was another Noble coming…? Oo

She was startled from her thoughts by the sound of Amity’s most prominent Betazoid Noble – Ambassador Rivi… speaking her name.

Vataix: Next, I'd like to recognize Robin Hopper. Robin?

As the eyes at her table turned to her – many of them officers she’d grown to know from the SRC’s amateur volleyball league – she blinked in surprise a few times.

Hopper: Uhhh… Oh! Coming!

She stood, began walking towards the stage, then realized she was still holding her glass of water and passed it back, hastily, to Ensign Nash – who rolled his eyes in good humour, but accepted it all the same.

As she stepped up onto the stage and straightened out the front of her uniform, Robin smiled uncertainly and nodded to Rivi and Wil.

Hopper: Yes, Ambassador?

Vataix: When you and I were the only ones who noticed the change in the timeline, your efforts helped restore history and bring our friends home. For that, you are recognized with the Defense of Temporal Flow Ribbon.

Robin’s eyebrows raised. She hadn’t even realized there was such a ribbon… But then, Starfleet had certainly faced enough temporal incidents to warrant its existence. Still, she had been caught off guard by the gesture – Captain Sh’Thorn of the Wall Street had not been a fan of such ‘pageantry’, and so Ribbon Ceremonies remained something of a novelty.

She accepted the ribbon as it was passed to her, shaking Wil’s hand first, and then Rivi’s. Her eyes lingered on the Betazoid woman’s for a moment – the two of them the only ones to recall that alternate timeline.

Hopper: Thank you, Rivi. I won’t forget it.

Vataix: Furthermore, in an interesting twist of these kinds of temporal incidents as I'm told by the Department of Temporal Investigations, the restoration would not have been possible if not for the bravery and actions of Nadeshiko. I know you don't recall this, but I think it important to recognize that at least in another timeline, you showed conspicuous and honorable duty to this crew. As such, I am recognizing you with a civilian award from the Federation Diplomatic Corps: the Meritorious Honor Award.

Nadeshiko: Response

As the android woman stepped forward, Robin turned and applauded her as well. While it was true that Nadeshiko wouldn’t recall the details, aside from those Robin had provided in her report – she had been instrumental in helping identify the source of the “anomaly” and in undoing the damage, sending a holographic image of herself forward in time to assist the “timenapped” Officers.

As she accepted her ribbon, Robin turned back to Wil and Rivi, nodded once more in appreciation, and they cleared the stage, returning to their seats. Nash passed her water back with a teasing smile and Robin took it back, placing a finger on her lips and miming “Shh…”

Vataix: Finally, we have a few recognitions for your overall service as officers and crew of Amity Outpost. First, Wil, you have served as my first officer faithfully since Amity Outpost began its operations. I am pleased to see you now recognized with the First Officer Ribbon.

Ukinix: Response

Rivi’s grin, as she pinned the ribbon to Wil’s chest, was contagious. Robin found herself smiling as well.  oO Thank God we got him back! Oo

Vataix: Congratulations.

Ukinix: Response

Vataix: And that brings us to a close for this ceremony... except for one Nathan Richards.

Richards: Response

Now all eyes were on Richards. Robin and Nathan had met under unusual circumstances. Amity’s outgoing Science Officer, Kivik, had paired them up – asking for Robin’s assistance on a “personal project” the Ensign was undertaking. Apparently, following the loss of his arm during the previous mission, he had undertaken repairing – “Frankensteining” was perhaps more accurate – an old shuttle back to life. He’d needed someone familiar with computer science to make the cobbled-together parts “speak” to one another. Moreover, he’d needed someone willing to throw caution to the wind and work with their heart and their head… and while that partnership had flourished, it had also led them to some… unexpected places.

((Flashback – Several Months Earlier, Amity’s “Cellar” Hangar))

Hopper: Umm, I think it was me who just laid it all out there and said I was single… Look, I don’t like overcomplicating things…

She decided to put her money where her mouth was and take a gamble.

Hopper: I think you’re hot…  oO Like, stupid hot. Oo  And you tolerated my music taste – which is huge points, in my book.  ::Chuckling::  If you’re into me, I’d be happy to spend some time with you, not… ::looking around the cabin::  …in this shuttle. See where that takes us. But I don’t want us getting into anything on different terms. That’s a recipe for disaster.

Nathan had to take a moment to process what Robin had said.

Robin, meanwhile, bit her bottom lip subconsciously, in anticipation of his reply.

Hopper: I think we’re on the same page, right?

Richards: I..I won't lie. I think you're beautiful. You're fun to be around. And, come on. It's disco. ::Smiling:: I would like to spend some time with you outside of…::gesturing around them:: and get to know you better. See what happens. ::Shrugging:: Who knows.

Hopper: Okay!

She stood up from leaning against the Helm console and took a few steps closer to Nathan, clasping her hands in front of her.

Hopper: Then take me dancing.  ::Grinning::  Tonight?

((End Flashback))

((Flashback, Robin & Nathan’s Date – Wet Goods Tavern & Karaoke Bar))

As Robin’s eyes caught Nathan’s, she was surprised to see a rather distant look in his gaze – as if he were deep in thought as he listened. Shaking it off, she focused on finishing the song, and as the music faded, she slid the microphone back into its stand and let out a deep sigh, her chest heaving. She grinned, soaking in the brief applause, before making her way down the stairs towards Nathan.

Hopper: Hey – you’re up!

Richards: ::snapping out of his thoughts:: Huh?...Oh, right.

As he stood and began making his way towards the stage, she caught his arm gently, looking at him with questioning eyes.

Hopper: You okay?

Nathan stopped, his arm grew warmer under her touch. He turned back to her. He looked into her eyes for a moment before stepping up to her. He raised his hand, placing it softly on her cheek and leaning in. Their lips met briefly before he stepped back, giving her a warm smile.

Hopper: Oh!

The kiss caught Robin by surprise – but it was hardly unwelcome. He turned again without a word, and headed to the stage. As he stepped away, she felt her cheeks flushing and raised a hand to cover her befuddled grin. She crossed her other arm, as if to support her elbow, but in reality it was an instinctual reaction to the butterflies she felt in her stomach.

After taking a moment to process, Robin re-took her seat, a little stunned. She took another sip of her old fashioned, the ice now rather melted, and tried to decide just what she had felt in that brief kiss. It was exhilarating and terrifying at the same time – it was not the drunken make out session she had been expecting from this evening. It felt… tender.

((End Flashback))

((Flashback, After Nathan’s Song))

Hopper: I didn’t know you could play...

Nathan sat on the stool next to Robin, placing his arms onto the table. He looked down for just a moment before turning his attention to Robin's deep blue eyes.

Richards: ::half-hearted smile:: I don't know if I can do this…

A long silence lingered between the two of them, the only sounds those of the bar and the next karaoke singer wailing in the background. Robin felt the butterflies in her stomach die. Her mouth hung open just a little, in shock. Finally, she closed her eyes and let out an exasperated sigh.

Hopper: Okay…  ::Opening her eyes again::  ..Uh, why? I mean, what..  ::Flustered::  What changed? I.. I thought things were going pretty well.

Richards: We talked about what we wanted and our expectations. You were pretty adamant on what you wanted…

Robin nodded, then took another drink, larger this time. She could see where the conversation was going – or at least, she felt like she could. But she wanted to hear it clearly from him. Things were rarely better left ambiguous.

Hopper: Right.  ::A pause::  So what changed? I thought we were on the same page here. Weren’t we?

She asked the question simply enough… but after that kiss something had changed. She had sensed it then, but couldn’t put a finger on it. Now she wondered if he had felt something more there as well. Something which, unaddressed, would certainly complicate things.

Richards: We are…I just…I don't know if I can just "go with it". I don't think that I'm that kind of guy. ::Finishing his drink in one go:: I really like you. I like what we have…this chemistry. But I know that if we keep going…I don't know if I could keep myself from…falling in love. ::Holding up his hands:: I really thought that I would be able to keep it casual. But…I don't know.

Robin let out the brief, frustrated, pitiful laugh of someone receiving bad news that they’d half-expected. She felt… disappointed, a little angry – and in a confusing way, relieved…

Hopper: ::Still somewhat in disbelief::  Really? I mean, Nathan… falling in love?

Nathan flinched slightly. Robin shook her head, but it was not out of judgment. Even if it all seemed hard to believe, she had felt something too – and she knew that following that feeling would more-than-likely lead to at least one of them getting hurt.

Hopper: I mean, you’re right. If that’s what you’re feeling, you’re totally right – we shouldn’t do this… ::Hands on table, looking down at her empty glass::  I mean, I’m glad you’re telling me. Don’t get me wrong, that’s really..  ::sighing::  ..a hard thing to do.

Nathan slowly moved his hand across the table towards Robin's, but stopped. He felt that maybe holding her hand would make the conversation easier, but at the same time it could make it worse.

Richards: I wanted to be honest. I think if we are going to keep working together, we need to be open and honest.

Robin nodded slowly. He certainly wasn’t wrong about that. Sometimes being an open book meant giving up the protection of being closed – and that vulnerability could sting. No night of fun would be worth it at the expense of somebody getting hurt. It still sucked, though.

Hopper: ::Exasperated sigh::  #%&$…

((End Flashback))

Vataix: Yes... Nathan. You.

Richards: Response

Vataix: Since serving aboard Amity, you have shown great enthusiasm, courage, and duty. As such, I am pleased to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, effective immediately.

Richards: Response

Rivi took the new hollow black pip and pinned it next to Nathan's single Ensign pip.

Vataix: Congratulations... Lieutenant.

Richards: Response

The room cheered, and Robin joined in. In a way, she felt as though that date had also served as a sort of ‘trial by fire’ for their friendship. Nobody had been shot, sure, but they had both been at risk of making a mistake that could have ruined things between them before they’d ever even really gotten started. Now, she counted Nathan amongst her closest friends – not just on Amity, but in the universe. They understood one another, and that understanding had started with some very blunt honesty from the Ensi–  oO Lieutenant… Oo  she corrected herself.

oO Oh, he’s not going to let me forget that! Oo  She smiled to herself as she clapped for him.

S'Raga: Well deserved, Nathan!

Hopper: ::Teasingly::  Took you long enough!  ::Sticking her tongue out::

Any: Response

Vataix: All right, shall we proceed then with the next order of business?

(( OOC – Answer all tags for the service ribbons and promotion ceremony in one sim. Do NOT prolong it. Answer the next tags after the service ribbons and promotion ceremony in a new sim. ))

END Scene for Hopper

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)
Chief Science Officer, Amity Outpost