Arthur Summerside: Good News

Lt. JG Kivik

May 29, 2022, 6:23:26 PM5/29/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost - Grand Mezzanine))

Vataix: Anything you think we're missing?

Summerside: Would it be nettlesome of me to suggest ‘grit’?

Arthur enjoyed the expression on Ambassador Vataix’ face for a moment. She had a way of making surprise look like… enticed curiosity.

Vataix: "Grit?" Perhaps you can expound upon that?

Summerside: Ahh, you know… Sikarian Card Rooms, a Tsunkatse Arena, Brenari Soul-Readers… Real Delta Quadrant representation. All this stuff ::pointing around:: is aces, Ambassador, but it’s firmly Federation.

Vataix: True, part of our mission here is to showcase the worlds of the Federation to the Delta Quadrant... but I do want to see Amity become a true mecca of cultural exchange--which means incorporating more Delta Quadrant species here. What do you suggest?

Summerside: Well I wouldn’t go so far as Hirogen Holo-Hunting, but if you want my advice – I’d start going local. Show some commitment to embracing the D.Q. as it is.

Vataix: Local...

Arthur leaned back against the railing, watching Vataix muse the idea.

Summerside: How much of the Quadrant have you really seen, Ambassador? ::Raised brows:: It’s a big place.

Vataix: Not enough, I must admit... there's been a lot of administrative  work as I'm sure you can imagine with the launch of the outpost.

Summerside: ::Chuckling:: I try not to imagine such things.

Vataix: Well then, Mr. Summerside, why don't you give me a solid suggestion? Which species or world do you think I should visit first? Which makes the most sense to be the first to be greeted by the Federation's highest representative?

Arthur’s smug smirk faded and he stuck his hands in his pockets.

Summerside: That’s a big question to ask a little nobody like me… ::Turning around and looking over the mezzanine:: …If I were in your shoes, I suppose I’d put my money on Sikaris.

Vataix: And why do you say them?

Summerside: A few reasons… Politically neutral. Friendly, even. I don’t think you’d spark any outrage with that one. But really, it boils down to two words… ::Turning around to face Vataix again:: Spatial Trajector. I expect you could find a way to make that relationship worthwhile.

Vataix: I see... all right, I'll keep that in mind.

Arthur pondered his next words for a moment before speaking – he supposed Vataix may already know what was about to come out of his mouth before it did – but all the same, it felt worth saying.

Summerside: At the end of the day, this ain’t going to be an easy road. You’re going to face a lot of resistance – and not all of it diplomatic… The other Delta Quadrant powers are like sharks. It won’t take much blood in the water to draw them to you. So I advise you to make friends – powerful friends – and do it quickly.

((Later))

As their walk continued, the conversation strayed this way and that. Arthur was never entirely sure if the point of the meeting was to gain local intelligence or to assess his own personal merit… Perhaps it was both. But he did know that, despite himself, he enjoyed talking with Vataix.

Vataix: Arthur, can you do me one favor more?

Summerside: What?

Vataix: I knew the Vidiian relationship to the rest of the quadrant is pained... it was a mistake to underestimate that, I see now.

Summerside: ::Shrugging:: That was an unwinnable situation, Ambassador. I believe you started between a rock and a hard place.

Vataix: I don't want that to happen again.

Summerside: Yeah. No $#%&.

Vataix: What do you see as the next most pressing issue or conflict in the region?

Another doozy of a question. Arthur paused, removing his hat and scruffing his hair as he thought about it. Finally, he stuck the trilby back on his head.

Summerside: Ever since the Voyagers passed through, the Borg have been in disarray. You’ve seen already what happened when the Vidiians crumbled in on themselves – smaller systems banding together, others stepping in to fill the vacuum of power left behind… The DQ is scrambling right now to restructure itself in the absence of that looming threat… The Krenim, the Devore Imperium – they’ll be problems. But the Hirogen are right on your doorstep.

Arthur waved his hand, dismissively, before sticking it back in his pocket.

Summerside: Then again I’m no tactical analyst. ::Smiling:: There are an awful lot of boogeymen out there.

Vataix seemed to take that all in calmly – though perhaps he was merely confirming what she already knew. Either way, she remained poised as she continued.

Vataix: Thank you, Arthur, for this pleasant walk today.

Arthur imagined, for a moment, Keehani Ukinix dangling him over the Mezzanine railing by his tie.

Summerside: Beats the hell out of the alternative.

Vataix: I will consider what you've told me with great care...

Summerside: I’m sure you will.

The smallest of a smirk tugged on the corners of her lips. Arthur raised his brows in hesitant expectation.

Vataix: ...and I'll see what I can do about that... "grit" you talked about.

Summerside: ::Smiling:: Well… Now that is good news.

END

==

Arthur Summerside (he/him)

Civilian Journalist,