Lt. Robin Hopper: Back On The Frontier

Robin Hopper

Sep 25, 2022, 1:50:55 PM9/25/22
to Amity Outpost

((Idrustix – “Mid-Islands Region”, Island 4, Valley))

Even scouting such an objectively small area of the planet – a single valley on a single island in a small chain on a vast world – the group had already collected substantial quantities of new data for Starfleet and the future colonists.  The scans they had taken, when properly analyzed in a lab, could provide spectacular insights into the natural systems at play on this world.

Hopper: Are we agreed then that making camp here should be no problem – assuming no more surprises?

Grurg: Aye, sir.

S’Raga: ::Almost simultaneously:: Aye, sir.

Robin looked with a smile at a nearby fern-like plant, its large fronds growing up from the base of a nearby tree, wondering what secrets it might possess. Life saving medicinal properties? A unique species of beetle that lived only on this one species of fern? Perhaps just its inherent natural beauty.

With Iko & Grurg’s threat assessment completed, and S’Raga’s new line of investigation into the communications issues identified, she was feeling satisfied that it was time to turn back.

Hopper: Right then. In that case, let’s check in with our Team Leads and give them the good news. It’d be best if we can get camp set up before sundown.

Grurg: ::To S’Raga:: While there is no perceived threat, we do need to ensure we are able to maintain a line of communication with the Kitty Hawk at all times.

S’Raga: The three com boosters we set up in the area should be sufficient until we find a more permanent solution.

Grurg: Then let us return to the group.  ::To Hopper:: After you, Lieutenant.

((Later – Sunset))

The accommodation pods had been erected in a circle, providing enough berth in the center of camp for a safe gas-powered campfire. As the sun dimmed, the lights from the pods provided welcome warm illumination.

Undeveloped worlds like Idrustix could be shockingly dark after sundown – and shockingly beautiful. Without even trace pollution in the atmosphere, the universe’s natural light show would be on full display… in fact, it had already began. As the sun settled behind the distant ocean horizon, purple hues from the distant nebula began to emerge across the sky, along with the first hints of stars… even S’Raga’s promised aurora.

Robin stood to the side of those gathered to admire the scene, holding a steaming mug of rooibos tea in her hands, a blanket already draped over her shoulders.

Ukinix: I’ll never tire of looking at a sunset over an ocean.

Lohani: I’ve always marveled at the beauty nature conjures for even the most far-flung worlds…

Lekasa: Response?

S’Raga: ::Looking out towards the sunset:: The first time I saw water stretch past the horizon was in San Francisco, and it almost gave me vertigo. Back on Cait, I was always surrounded by trees and mountains, and the only times I saw the horizon were when I was flying.

Robin noted the Klingon Lieutenant stepping up beside her, evidently having completed installing her proximity sensors. She passed the Security Officer the mug of detoxified Klingon Senna that had been steeping for some time.

Hopper: Nice work, Lieutenant..  ::nudging S’Raga::  ..Ensign. Now, we get a little time to sit back and enjoy the payoff.

Grurg: It is a wonderful view.

Robin smiled as Grurg looked out over the ocean with a beaming grin. Much like Cait, Theta VII had no oceans. A terraformed frontier colony world, it had many dozens of freshwater lakes, fed by demineralized underground springs, but the sight of an ocean sunset was a novelty that she too had first experienced in California…  oO I’ll have to ask S’Raga more about his time at the Academy! Swap some stories… Oo

The group watched a little longer, as the sun finally completed its voyage below the horizon. A pale purple hue now draped over the entire planet. Ones eyes adjusted to it with time, but it was almost magical at first.

Ukinix turned back towards the center of camp, opening a box full of campfire necessities. Robin followed him happily, setting her stainless steel mug down in the armrest pocket of one of the camping chairs that had been set about the fire. Next, she grabbed one of the metal skewers and stuck a couple marshmallows on the end, carrying a third one back in her free hand, and depositing it in the other armrest. Glad to be seated at last, she took a chair opposite Ukinix, offering him a pleasant smile. It had been too long since she’d camped under the stars.

She then watched with amused interest as Vananth-Polgonz and S’Raga uncertainly wrangled their own marshmallow sticks with differing dilemmas. The Caitian Ensign seemed intrigued and perplexed by the marshmallows themselves – whereas the Betazoid Noble seemed, at least to Robin, aghast at the notion that she’d be eating something off a three-foot-long metal stick, wielding it more like a rapier than a cooking implement. She decided to hold off on toasting her own until they had joined them. Eventually, they sorted it out and everyone settled into their seats.

S’Raga: Ok, well one of you will have to show me how to properly do this. How do you know when it's cooked?

Hopper: ::Smiling::  Just try not to burn it, Mr. S’Raga. They catch fire easily – and you can eat them uncooked, so you’re better off easing into it…

Robin barely contained her laughter as she saw Vananth-Polgonz learning this lesson the hard way, her marshmallow – plunged audaciously low into the fire – emerging charred and bubbling.

Lohani: ::Quelling her displeasure::  While I hesitate to bring up ‘business’ once again, Commander… What shall be the procedure now? How soon can we begin installing more…  ::looking about at the accommodation pods::  …permanent structures?

Lekasa: Response?

Ukinix(H): Alright.  Now that we have the camp site set up, we could be here for at least a few days yet.  At first light we’ll request some officers from the Kitty Hawk join us so we can survey further out and make sure this site is viable.

The XO put a marshmallow on his stick then put it over the campfire. Robin stuck her stick over the fire as well, giving a small nod towards it to demonstrate for S’Raga’s benefit.

Ukinix(H): Lieutenant Grurg, what is your overall assessment.

Grurg: There is nothing natural in the fauna that we have assessed would cause a significant issue for the colonists.  I would recommend focus on external threats - a defense system for each colony site, along with vessel patrols in orbit.

With a nod, Ukinix turned to Robin.

Ukinix(H): Lieutenant Hopper, what’s our science boffin’s summary of this site?

oO Boffin? Oo  She made a face at the Commander’s unfamiliar term.  oO Must be an Australian thing… Oo  Chuckling, she replied…

Hopper: It’s bumpin’, Commander. We’re in a tropical zone, so there’s no shortage of biological interest. We’ll want to run further tests on flora and fauna to make sure we’re not nestling down in forest that emits weird spores or hypnotizing lizards or something, but at a glance it seems fine.

She noted a look from their Betazoid guest(s) and thought as clearly as she could, for their benefit… oO I’m just joking! Oo

Hopper: This area will also be more tectonically active than Betazoid colonists will be used to. So inertial dampening foundation structures may be valuable.

Ukinix(H): S’Raga, communications?  Are we getting closer to establishing a crystal clear link with the Kitty Hawk?

S’Raga: ::Holding his stick much too high over the fire, doing absolutely nothing for the marshmallow:: We're just waiting for a report from the Kitty Hawk to confirm whether we're right about tetryon emissions causing signal interference. After that, we'll have a clearer path towards a more permanent solution. Until then, as long as we have a steady supply of com boosters, we shouldn't have a problem.

Noticing S’Raga’s overly-cautious mallowing, Robin moved her stick so that it crossed over top of his and gently pushed his down to an effective distance from the flames, offering him a playful wink.

Ukinix(H): ::To both Robin and S’Raga:: What about long term considerations for communications.  Subspace communications with Amity, for instance.

While S’Raga and Hopper spoke, Ukinix blew out his cooked marshmallow that was partially on fire, then blew on it to cool it down.

S'Raga: As far as we can tell, the only source of... ::Partially distracted by the Commander's flaming marshmallow::... interference is within the planet's atmosphere itself. Beyond that, a simple subspace relay will be more than enough to communicate reliably with Amity.

Robin removed her stick, the marshmallows perfectly browned, and gave them a second to cool off. She removed her first marshmallow and popped it in her mouth. It wasn’t ‘real food’ but it sure hit the spot.

Hopper: Agreed. Once we learn more about this tetryon field from the Kitty Hawk, we’ll sort out how to break through those. We know they aren’t a permanent feature here, so as long as the comms infrastructure on the planet is developed enough, I don’t think they’ll pose a long-term problem.

With that, she removed the second mallow and ate it happily.

Lohani: Yes, we’re prepared to invest heavily in communications arrays. It is of utmost importance that our colonists do not feel cut-off or forgotten here.

She glanced at Vananth-Polgonz, who had disposed of her char-broiled first marshmallow and was attempting a second, far more cautiously. The noble had already vocalized several times that she was both set on this location and annoyed by the problems that it posed. Robin fought the urge to roll her eyes – instead, focusing on re-loading her stick with the marshmallow she’d left in her armrest.

Lekasa: Response?

Returning her stick to the fire, Robin saw that S’Raga’s had drifted upwards again – out of the range of the fire. It was still woefully underdone. She gently tapped his stick with hers again. He got the message and lowered it a few centimeters. Robin just grinned.  oO He’ll get it eventually… Oo

S'Raga: ::To Robin:: Lieutenant, can I ask you a question?

Hopper: Of course! Oh, and no need for the rank when we’re off-duty…  ::Considering, she supposed they were still technically ‘on-duty’:: …or around a campfire.

S'Raga: I don't really have any experience with camping. Are we going to be telling ghost stories? I heard that's an integral part of the experience. What if I don't have any stories?

Hopper: ::Looking around the group, excitedly::  That’s a great idea!  ::Patting his arm, reassuringly::  Oh, I’m sure we can conjure up enough that you can just listen this time.  ::To Ukinix::  Any spooky stories from the Outback, Commander?

Ukinix(H): Response

All of a sudden, the HCO’s tricorder began beeping frantically from beside his accommodation pod. Robin went wide-eyed – half in alarmed surprise, and half in thrilled amusement.  oO What timing! Oo

The Caitian Ensign dropped his stick to the ground – his just-perfectly-browned marshmallow landing in the dirt. A tragedy. Robin watched keenly as he peeled away from the campfire to check on his atmospheric scans, wondering about his urgency. She shot a concerned glance across the fire to Ukinix.

S'Raga: Commander Ukinix, can you please come here?

Robin’s eyes darted towards the Betazoid(s), then back to Ukinix. She offered him a calm smile, hoping he would understand her intended message – that she would mind their guest(s).

Ukinix(H): Response

As the Commander moved to see what the fuss was about, Robin redirected the conversation around the campfire.

Hopper: Anyone else know any good campfire stories?

Lohani/Lekasa/Grurg: Responses

((OOC – This conversation happens out of earshot of those around the fire…))

S'Raga: ::In a hushed tone, just for the Commander to hear:: Scans are picking alien lifeforms on the planet, and a ship of unknown origin in orbit.

Ukinix(H): Response

((OOC – You two backsim here as you desire!))

Daughter Vananth-Polgonz’ expression suddenly changed, and she looked shrewdly over towards Ukinix and S’Raga.

Lohani: ::Alarmed tone::  What’s all this about an unknown ship in orbit? Aliens on the planet? Is it the Hirogen?

Lekasa: Response?

So… That’s what had S’Raga’s hackles raised.  oO Dang telepaths! Oo  Well, the cat was out of the bag now. Robin held out a hand, setting her own marshmallow down in the dirt as well.

Hopper: It couldn’t be. We’d identify a Hirogen vessel immediately – and besides, this world is not within their territory.

She looked to the Security Officer, hoping for more detailed supportive information.

Grurg: Responses

Lohani: I am not reassured. Who are these people and why are they here? It can’t be a coincidence. Are we in danger?

Two questions that were yet-impossible to answer… Robin stood, trying to do so as calmly as possible, and went to pick up her own tricorder. She wished now that each of them had been armed with a phaser, rather than relying on a single security officer. The odds that it was the Hirogen were slim, but they were not niloO What am I going to do, throw my tricorder at them? Oo

Ukinix(H)/S’Raga/Lekasa/Grurg: Responses

Looking at the readings on her own tricorder offered her mild reassurance.

Hopper: Looks like the Kitty Hawk is intercepting – some comms chatter between them. At least they don’t appear to be openly hostile.

Lohani: Or they are distracting our defenders while their ground teams approach.  ::To Grurg::  How secure is our perimeter, Lieutenant?

Ukinix(H)/S’Raga/Lekasa/Grurg: Responses

Robin walked over to S’Raga and Ukinix.

Hopper: Are you seeing what I’m seeing? It looks like the alien biosigns are gone… Like they transported back to their vessel.  ::Confused look::  What are they up to?

Lohani: I think we should do the same. I would much prefer to be on the Kitty Hawk right now.

Ukinix(H)/S’Raga/Lekasa/Grurg: Responses

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)
Chief Science Officer, Amity Outpost