[BACKSIM] Lt. Robin Hopper: Analyzing Response

Robin Hopper

Dec 12, 2022, 12:34:06 PM12/12/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost - Science & Research Center, Level 21, Botany Level 1))

Amity’s Botany lab was one of Robin’s favourite places to visit on the station during her working hours. In fact, she would regularly take her lunch in the round silo-like room, which contained a large cylindrical ‘conservatory’-like core spanning two floors – a pair of trees growing up towards the simulated ‘sun’ above and various plants and small creatures living harmoniously around them. The other ‘ring’ of the Botany lab was where the real science was conducted, but in this central column it truly felt like being in a tranquil little slice of–

Phan'ta'go: =/\= Hello, Lieutenant Hopper? =/\=

Or at least, it had felt tranquil. Robin sighed and opened her eyes. As she set her thermos down, she tapped her combadge.

Hopper: =/\= Hopper here. =/\=

Phan'ta'go: =/\= Can you hear me? =/\=

The air was filled with only the quiet chirps of several jungle birds as they happily soaked up the warm air and ‘sunshine’... and the voice of C’lem Phan’ta’go. Robin had never met C’lem – at least not in person. She knew him by voice only. The first few times he had ‘communicated’ with her had nearly annoyed her… but now she was beginning to find the odd Crewman rather amusing. There was a certain flow to conversation with C’lem that was almost ritualistic. She tried to mix things up, keep it interesting.

Hopper: =/\= Who’s calling? =/\=

Phan'ta'go: =/\= Crewman C'lem Phan'ta'go. =/\=

Hopper: =/\= Lieutenant Robin Hopper. =/\=

Phan'ta'go: =/\= Crewman C'lem Phan'ta'go. =/\=

Hopper: ::Smirking::  =/\= Are you calling about my Papa Rahms order? Is this Papa Rahm? =/\=

Phan'ta'go: =/\= No, Crewman C'lem Phan'ta'go. =/\=

Hopper: =/\= Oh I see. But you were trying to reach Papa Rahms? =/\=

Phan'ta'go: =/\= No, you're Robin Hopper, yeah? =/\=

Hopper: =/\= Sorry, who was asking? =/\=

There was a moment of silence. Robin liked to imagine him shuffling a stack of papers frantically on the other end – though surely, that was not the case. In truth, she had no idea what C’lem even looked like. He was an enjoyable enigma and she had never taken it upon herself to look up his crew file.

Phan'ta'go: =/\=  Chief Science Officer of...  Checking... ::console tapping sounds:: Amity Outpost. =/\=

Hopper: =/\= No, silly, that’s me – Lieutenant Robin Hopper. =/\=

Another pause. More imaginary paper-rustling.

Phan'ta'go: =/\= The feeling here is that you're being difficult.=/\=

Hopper: =/\= Oh, I’m sorry. =/\=

She wasn’t.

Hopper: =/\= I didn’t mean to be difficult. =/\=

She did.

Hopper: =/\= What was that about my Papa Rahms order? =/\=

Phan'ta'go: =/\= Ambassador Vataix of... ::console tapping sounds:: Amity Outpost, has requested your attendance in her office.  Located on... =/\=

Robin was already up and moving towards the exit of the Botany lab’s inner circle. As C’lem double-checked Rivi’s file, she rolled her eyes and smiled. The sliding glass doors opened and she made her way into the refreshingly-cool laboratory.

Hopper: =/\= You’ll have to hurry. I’m on the train now. Where am I supposed to get off, C’lem?! =/\=

She reached the turbolift that would carry her to the SRC’s terminus station.

Phan'ta'go: =/\= Just a mo', Lieutenant, I'm confirming... ::console tapping sounds:: ... Here we go, level 15. Of... ::console tapping sounds:: Copernicus Center. =/\=

Hopper: =/\= Oh thank goodness! I’m on my way. Thank you ever so much for the detailed instructions. =/\=

Phan'ta'go: =/\= All part of the service, Lieutenant.  Would you be interested in taking a performance feedback survey regarding our communication today? =/\=

She stepped out of the Turbolift and ran to catch the train as it prepared to leave, winding its way back up the corkscrew.

Hopper: =/\= I would be delighted to take your survey, C’lem… But only if you administer it yourself. In person. At the Three Stripes. Tonight. At 1900 hours. =/\=

Another pause. Robin giggled to herself as the train began sliding forwards, gaining momentum. In her mind, he had gotten flustered and spilled his drink all over his important papers.

Hopper: ::Barely containing her giggles::  =/\= Can you hear me? =/\=

Phan'ta'go: =/\= Understood. Phan'ta'go out. =/\=

((Ten Minutes Later, Rivi’s Office))

((OOC – As a reminder, there are older tags for Nadeshiko in this scene that occur before Robin’s arrival))

The door slid open and Robin entered, with an energy in her step that seemed to typify the Chief Science Officer’s usual bubbly spirit. Her little ‘game’ with C’lem en-route to the Ambassador’s office had left a smile on her face that refused to go away.

As she entered, she noticed that Rivi was already speaking with someone – a woman that Robin did not yet know, but who, on just a cursory glance, she desperately wanted to know better. Her outfit and hair were to die for! She did her best not to gawk and instead, offered her a small friendly wave, before turning to address Rivi.

Hopper: ::To Nadeshiko::  Oh, hello!  ::To Rivi::  Hiya, Rivi. You rang?

Vataix: Hello, Robin! I'd like you to meet Nadeshiko. She is going to be working in your department as a civilian analyst.

Part of Robin’s work since arriving on the station had been geared towards building collaborative projects between the Starfleet and Civilian science contingents aboard. While she was technically overseeing the Civilian side of Amity’s SRC, it had always been understood that this was on a temporary basis, as they determined the optimal structure for the large team given the recent changes in administration.

Hopper: Oh, fantastic!  ::To Nadeshiko::  What sort of work do you specialize in? I’d be happy to give you a tour of the SRC, starting with any key areas of interest you might have.

Nadeshiko: Response

Vataix: I believe there are a few other details that Nadeshiko can tell you about regarding her assignment here.

Robin nodded. There was something unique about Nadeshiko that she couldn’t quite put her finger on. Her manner was almost Vulcan-like, her voice extraordinarily steady and her comments quite measured. Yet, judging by her attire, hair, and makeup, she was far from ‘reserved’. Robin was intrigued, to say the least.

Nadeshiko: Response

Hopper: ::Eyebrows raised::  Really? That’s amazing. I wouldn’t have guessed you were a sy–  ::Pausing::  Hmm, I’m sorry, how do you prefer to be called? Understandably, I’m not that familiar with artificial life forms – but I’m happy to learn.

An understatement. Robin was ecstatic at the possibility of working so closely with such a unique person. She had always found accounts of Commander Data – the android that had served aboard the Enterprise – fascinating. Since the ‘synth ban’ had been put in place, however, very little development or public discourse had continued beyond the purely theoretical. Yet, here was one in front of her – ‘living and breathing’, though perhaps not in the conventional sense.

Nadeshiko: Response

Hopper: ::Nodding::  Well, if you require any particular accommodations or – alternatively – if there are any organo-centric ‘barriers’ holding you back, let me know… Is there anything else I should know about your work here at this point?

Nadeshiko/Vataix: Response

Hopper: Well, I look forward to getting to know you better, and to see your work. Rivi, was there anything else you wanted to make sure we spoke about?

Nadeshiko/Vataix: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)