Luminary Prarim: Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

Keegan Flick-Parker

Nov 23, 2021, 4:16:22 PM11/23/21
to Amity Outpost

((Conference Room B4 - Amity Outpost ))

Prarim brought forth a decorative box and placed it on the table. Unlatching it, he swung the lid open and revealed a glass vial. It was filled with a viscous purple substance. The light shone through it with a majestic radiance.

Taven: You will not have to fear, People of the Federation. ::smiling widely:: You will not partake of this Rite alone. I have been chosen of the Light to join you in this holy Rite.

Carter: There is no fear, only the desire for understanding…

Prarim nodded. The Starfleet Commander had a positive outlook on the ritual and seemed to be approaching it with open arms. oO A good omen, indeed. Oo

Prarim: We welcome your openness to our religion, Commander. Not every society is as courteous as yours.

Sahim: Your attitude towards the Ritual is good. That'll help with going through it successfully.

Suribana: It doesn't seem the same substance we've seen, but somehow I feel it's related somehow…

Prarim’s expression shifted as the doctor spoke. Skepticism was a cold and unforgiving philosophy he had never understood, but he had to remind himself that even among the self-proclaimed ‘enlightened’ civilizations of the galaxy, many still had their doubts. He hoped the provided sample would be sufficient to answer their questions.

However as the Chief Medical officer looked over his scans, Prarim noted his surprised look.

Wong: ::To Suribana:: That’s because it is! Look. ::He showed Suribana the scans:: It’s concentrated. Remember those odds I was talking about earlier? They’ve jumped. Significantly.

Suribana: At least we know what we're dealing with. I'll begin running comparison analysis with similar substances and their interactions with the Commander's physiology so we can have a resuscitation method ready for implementation if needed.

The Luminary cleared his throat. He didn’t particularly care for the tone the conversation was taking.

Prarim: I assure you, such measures won’t be necessary. We offer this ritual as a sign of our mutual trust. In all the years I have served as a Luminary for the Hawlat, no one has ever been harmed by the Angel’s Milk. It is a divine substance that grants the recipient visions of truth, not a poison.

Taven: Response

Sahim: It's true that our physiologies are a bit different, but so far, no one that have been tested by the Angels Milk have had any lasting effects.

Prarim took in the brief pause that followed, watching the Commander and medical officer intently. After a moment, the Commander nodded to his subordinate.

Carter: Starfleet officers are used to dealing with short odds:: smiling:: the path to understanding and truth is sometimes fraught with uncertainty. Faith removes that uncertainty and allows one to see with clarity…

Suribana: That's quite a Starfleet philosophy, but from a medical point of view, I see jumping blindly into the unknown as a risk that should be minimized.

Taven: Response

Prarim: My Acolyte speaks truth. All relationships of trust are built on faith, are they not? Any time one trusts a new ally, they must take a leap - blindly into the unknown, as you say, Doctor. Is this not so?

Wong: I’ve got this.

The medical officer’s sudden interjection startled Prarim and he shot the Klingon a glance with his bushy eyebrows raised in surprise. oO What does he mean, he’s “got this”? Oo

Carter: Response

Prarim: I do not mean to intrude on internal Starfleet business, but I understand you are a military organisation. Surely the chain of command is clear.

Taven: Response

Wong: ::To Prarim:: Excuse me, sir. Since I am the Chief Medical Officer here and my goal is to ensure the health of our Federation representatives, what happens if I find that one of our own is medically unfit to perform in this Ritual?

Carter: You will find no such thing Lieutenant….

The Luminary felt the tension rising in the room. His earlier convictions that the ritual would take place under a good omen were beginning to fade. This rising conflict between the two Federation representatives spoke of an underlying distrust between Starfleet’s scientists and the Hawlat faith.

Prarim: ::Attempting to smooth things over:: While I agree with your Commander Carter, I understand your apprehensions. Those who participate in the Ritual of Trust must do so voluntarily of their own free will. I do not deign to decide on the Federation’s behalf who should partake. That is for your people to decide.

Taven: response

Wong: Huh. That’s interesting. Well. Since I’m responsible for the health of my representatives, I reserve the right to pull them on medical grounds. Which if that ends up being the case, I volunteer to take their place in the Ritual.

The commander didn't seem to be able to hold himself anymore and spoke…

Carter: Mister Wong… I have made a command decision. You will either respect that decision or consider yourself relieved from duty. Is that clear?

Prarim looked to his fellow Hawlat. He noted Sahim’s uncertainty and breathed a sigh of disappointment. He’d had such high hopes for this occasion, but now everything began to cloud with doubt. He closed his eyes and looked to the Great Spirit for guidance.

Wong/Taven: response

Carter: Tell me…what is all involved in this Ritual Of Trust?

Wong/Taven: response

Sahim: Once you're on the ritual and with the Milk bonding you, you'll have to let yourself go with the flow of your thoughts. Be honest and you shall have no problem with the ritual. It will be taxing, but shouldn't be life threatening.

The Prarim opened his eyes once more. The Great Spirit’s light shone dully upon this meeting. It would be up to the Hawlat Luminary to make his own decisions, then, with the illumination granted him already. He pulled forth his copy of the Rite of Trust, the book which detailed the ancient ritual, and placed it on the table reverently.

Prarim: As it is written under the light of the Great Spirit: the two shall drink of the Angel’s Milk and be struck blind to the world around them. Between the two, a bond of faith shall emerge, which cannot be tread upon in deceit - and the two become one. Vision shall be granted as the light of the Spirit reveals even the darkest truth. Only in fellowship shall they journey forward. A challenge may present itself, to be overcome in partnership. Proving their worthiness to one another, the Great Spirit shall be pleased and grant them sight again…

The Luminary smiled. It had been too long since he had read from the Rite and the words reinvigorated his desire to see a positive outcome from the challenge. Commander Carter looked strong and honest - the finest qualities one could ask for in a Ritual participant. Taven was wise and tenacious - a worthy representative for the Hawlat people.

Prarim: For those unfamiliar with our traditions, each of you must drink of the Angel’s Milk one draught ::indicating the presented vial:: and place your foreheads together. Doing so will grant you a unique sight into each other's thoughts and intentions. You shall then face a challenge of the mind and spirit - unique to the participants - that will require you to work together. When you have completed the task, you shall return to us unharmed.

Taven/Carter: Response

Suribana: I trust you with that, but as a doctor, and a civilian, I need to be prepared just in case. Since you know this ritual and we don't, can I ask that you warn us in case you see something strange on the commander?

Sahim: Response

Prarim: And we will be here in support of you as well, Taven. You have the faith of the Hawlat behind you - always.

Taven: Response

Carter/Wong/Suribana/Sahim: Response

Reade: =/\= Scotty, to Ikaia, one of the animals has been stuck in the mining equipment, requesting that you come with us, just in case you need to stabilize the animal? =/\=

Prarim’s eyes opened wide with shock. Suddenly, he understood why the Great Spirits light had shone so dully. One of the Angels was in danger, ensnared in the mechanical clutches of the damnable miners. oO Have they not done enough already?! Oo

Prarim: Commander! This is an outrage. How are we to engage in a Ritual of Trust while one of our Angels is being imprisoned by these imprudent miners? This must be attended to at once. ::To Taven and Sahim:: We must wait to see the outcome before the Ritual can be performed.

Taven/Sahim: Response?

Carter: Response

Wong: =/\= Response =/\=

Reade: =/\= Acknowledged, please meet me in the Shuttlebay, Section Alpha. =/\=

Carter/Wong/Suribana/Sahim/Taven: Response

Prarim: We shall see what occurs - but we will be watching vigilantly. The outcome of this venture shall determine whether the Federation and the Hawlat may move forward in good faith to perform the Ritual. ::To Carter:: I hope your people know what they’re doing.

Carter/Wong/Suribana/Sahim/Taven: Response

TBC

===

MSPNPC Prarim (he/him)

Hawlat Luminary