[ACT 2] Lt. JG Rebecca Iko - Problems and solutions.

Zenia Emba

Sep 30, 2022, 2:52:48 AM9/30/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Bridge, USS Kitty Hawk))

Bec had arrived to the bridge in a flurry. She’d finished everything she needed to do, and was about to head back down and tag out Grurg, when she suddenly… couldn’t. The situation had all turned into a rummage for information, a rummage that felt way quicker than one would expect, the answers still wildly out of grasp. The back of her mind was its own flurry of thoughts, most notably that most of her friends were down there, lost and alone. And that she wasn’t with them.

Now she and some Higher-ups (Captain Rahman, Rivi and Councillor Carter) gathered around Kivik as the problem solving attempt continued.

Rahman: Have you discovered any weaknesses in the field or the satellites?

Kivik: In theory, yes, Captain. They’re lightly shielded, not really designed to withstand an outright attack… However, destroying them or disabling them using conventional means could be quite dangerous.

Bec leaned her attention in more as Kivi showed and told how the satellites worked.

Kivik: They appear to be utilizing subspace rifts to draw tetryon particles into normal space, rather than producing the particles themselves. The satellite’s function seems to be stabilizing these rifts and directing the tetryon particles into a coherent field…  ::Turning to face the group again::  If we take them out, the subspace rifts could destabilize… and that would likely be far worse.

Rahman: Do we have any idea of what's going on below the field on the surface?

Kivik: ::Sighing::  I’m afraid not. The planet’s still there, that much is clear, but the intense tetryon fields prevent even narrow-beam scans from penetrating. We’d need to find a ‘hole’ in the net somewhere to get a better look… That said, the radiation being emitted definitely presents a significant risk factor to those on the planet.

Rahman crossed her arms, most likely in frustration. Bec also crossed her arms, in a more relaxed way with her hands on the outside of her elbows, but her gesture was more of fear.

Rahman: We need to at the very least reestablish communications with our teams and make sure they're all right.

Bec nodded.

Kivik: I’m open to suggestions. The fields aren’t affecting our communications platform in any capacity. We just can’t get a signal through to the ground teams.

Carter: Response

Iko: The O’Nor may have technology that bypasses the Tetryon fields effect.

The Captain turned to look at Iko.

Rahman: Lieutenant Iko, is there anything more you learned about their ship from our initial scans?

She eyed the ceiling as she filtered through facts and formed them into a sentence, her arms dropping back by her sides.

Iko: I do believe they can get their own people down there. Getting them back I’m not entirely sure, and I doubt we will be allowed to use their transporter either way.

Rahman: At this point then, I'm inclined to launch a shuttle…

Bec raised her eyebrows slightly.

Vataix: But wasn't the field somehow preventing us from using that option?

The Captain turned and nodded at Rivi.

Rahman: Yes, the intensity of this particular tetryon field is even greater than the Shoals.

the Shoals. Bec had heard about it, but  she’d never been there. She imagined it as an invisible ever-changing maze, that if you took the wrong path you had to lull yourself through the mud, or someone had to get out and push. Or both.

Rahman: But if we were to launch a shuttle towards the surface and power it down before it penetrates the field, we should be able to use only its momentum and the planet's gravity to bring it down to the surface. Now, we'd want to make sure the shuttle's systems could be reactivated to ensure that the landing is survivable.

Kivik looked at her with concern. She returned a gaze, pressing her lips together and briefly eyeing Rahman, before looking back at nem.

Vataix: "Survivable." That doesn't sound promising.

Rahman: That's just the first part, Madam Ambassador. Until we find a way to get that field disabled, the shuttle wouldn't be able to launch and escape the planet's gravity to cross back through the field and return to the Kitty Hawk.

Kivik: So it may be a one-way trip.  ::Swallowing::  And that’s assuming the environment below the net is…  ::Saying aloud what nobody wanted to say::  …Survivable. Which it may not be.

Bec nodded, before speaking up.

Iko: However, If we do not find any better ideas, ::taking a breath:: I do volunteer to be on said shuttle. Survival training was one of my strongest classes, and I have a duty to protect my friends and my crew.

She provided Kivik a reassuring smile, knowing ne would likely hate the idea. But she did have a skill set that would come in extremely useful in that situation.

Carter: Response

The sound of opening turbolift doors gathered the bridge’s attention as a civilian-attired person stepped off.

Rahman: What the hell are you doing on my bridge?

Ivanovic: I’m Kit Ivanovic, Delta Quadrant correspondent for the FNS.

Kivik: What’s happening here?

Bec quietly pointed to Kivik with her thumb in agreement.

Carter: Response?

Rahman: We're in a Red Alert. Return to your quarters.

Ivanovic: I don’t want to interrupt your operations, I just want to get some idea of what’s happening.

Rahman turned to Bec.

Rahman: Lieutenant Iko, kindly escort Ms. Ivanovic back to her quarters...

Iko: Aye Captain.

She began walking towards Kit before she was interrupted.

Ivanovic: At the very least, an official statement.  First Secretary Ukinix knows I would rather report on what I hear from Amity’s own personnel.  Then I can be on my way.

Bec raised her eyebrows and tilted her head to the side before Rivi spoke up.

Vataix: Captain, I'll accompany the Lieutenant to give Ms. Ivanovic a statement. ::She glanced back at the science display, nodding.:: Please update me once you have a plan ready.

Rahman: Certainly, Madam Ambassador. ::turns and nods at Iko::

Iko: This way.

As Rivi and Iko entered the turbolift, Rivi looked at the reporter and spoke…

Vataix: So what do you want to know?

Ivanovic: Response

Iko: We all want to know what the- the hell is going on.

Vataix/Ivanovic: response

Bec ran her hands through her hair, shoving it around in an attempt to relieve tension.

Iko: ::tucking stray strands of hair out of her face:: So… what do you want?

Vataix/Ivanovic: Response

TBC

--
Lt. JG Rebecca Iko