Crewman Annamae Barberra - From One Betazoid to Another

Wil Ukinix

May 2, 2023, 5:30:32 AM5/2/23
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Flashback – Ready Room, USS Kitty Hawk, An hour and a bit earlier))

Rahman: Still, I think you owe it to see Ambassador Vataix to make it official.

((End flashback))

((Outside Chief of Missions office, Level 15, Copernicus Center))

When Wil and Annamae had got back to Level 3, her superior had told Annamae that he thought it was a good idea that she went to see Ambassador Vataix alone to tell her that she was being temporarily transferred.  The Liaison Officer for the Starfleet Attaché’s role *was* to liaise with the FDC after all.  A job she had done many times.

Some of the FDC staff seemed wary of her, despite the fact she had assisted them heavily in the final Kathesis Pact agreement.  It was mostly due to her reputation, especially in that first month or two aboard Amity, and she knew it.  Her “relationship” with Wong wasn’t the only relationship that was tarnished by it.  And while at her core she would never change, they way she went about things would.

And had.  She would never had dated Bec if she hadn’t.  She would never have got the chance to meet with her newly confirmed idol, the stoic Captain Roshanara Rahman, if she hadn’t.

She would never be standing outside of the ambassador’s office with a transfer PADD in hand if she hadn’t.

There she stood, patiently waiting… and waiting… and waiting… until, finally, the door slid open.

Out walked the Ambassadorial Aide, Keehani Ukinix, holding a PADD against her chest.  The First Secretary’s natural smile faltered a little when the Betazoid laid eyes on the crewman.

Keehani: Oh.  Hello.  Can I help you with something, crewman?

The door slid behind her.

Keehani Ukinix just didn’t seem to be so fond of Annamae as much her second cousin Wil was – or, more precisely, had become.  She figured it was something about her inner demeanour that the Betazoid didn’t like, given Keehani’s telepathic powers that Annamae thought would be cool and awesome to have somehow.

Barberra: No, First Secretary.  I have a meeting with the Ambassador.

The Betazoid shifted her head slightly to the left in slight surprise.

Keehani: Oh.  Is it something I can address on your behalf?  We don’t want to trouble the Ambassador unnecessarily.

Barberra: Of course we don’t.  But Commander Ukinix requested a brief meeting with the Ambassador and me, and it was accepted.  ::Shrug:: So…

Keehani raised her eyebrows, and kept her eyes on the crewman.

Keehani: I see.  ::stepping forward::  Well, Crewman Barberra, please remember to use the utmost decorum whilst in the presence of the Ambassador.

Barberra: Yes, I promise I won’t pick my nose.

Keehani: Crewman-

Barberra: ::Looking at Keehani:: Respectfully, I’m not an idiot, First Secretary.  While I haven’t had many direct dealings with Ambassador Vataix, I know the protocols, and I intent to stick to them.

Keehani smiled and nodded as she looked down, before looking back at the crewman.

Keehani: Because if I hear of the Ambassador being upset-

Barberra: You’ll melt my brain?

The First Secretary blinked her eyes a few times.

Keehani: This is not a game, or a joke, crewman.

Barberra: I know.  ::eyeroll:: Geez.  Can I go in now?

Keehani paused for a moment, before standing to the side.

Keehani: ::Smile returning:: Of course.

Annamae couldn’t work out if the First Secretary’s smile was a fake one or not.  Regardless, Annamae tilted her head to the side and returned the smile.

Barberra: Thank you, First Secretary, it has been an honor working with you.

With that, Annamae walked towards Ambassador Vaitax’s door…

Keehani ::Looking down, furrowed eyebrow:: “Has”?

… before it slid open, and Annamae walked in.  She approached the Ambassador’s desk, before standing at attention, holding the PADD in her hands behind her back.

Vataix: Response

Barberra: Ambassador Vataix, Crewman Barberra reporting for the scheduled meeting.  On behalf of Commander Ukinix, thank you for accepting at such short notice.

Vataix: Response

Annamae politely handed the PADD to the Ambassador, before standing at attention again with her hands behind her back.

Barberra: Starfleet transfer orders, Madam Ambassador.  Captain Rahman has offered me a temporary placement on the USS Kitty Hawk.

Vaitax: Response

Tags/TBC!

Crewman Second Class Annamae Barberra
Liaison Officer for the Starfleet Attaché
Amity Outpost
V239511WU0