Tri’lea Polgonz: Seeing Red

Lt. JG Kivik

May 2, 2022, 7:26:35 PM5/2/22
to Amity Outpost

Polgonz: I don’t suppose you brought a bottle of wine along, Commander? Perhaps you’ll find me less tolerable without one to share.

Ukinix: ::Smiling:: Actually, I’ve got something better than that.  ::Raising finger:: A chief medical officer that can prescribe me a *really* strong sedative if necessary.  ::Gesturing, slight bow:: Welcome aboard, your majesty.

oO Finally, he’s beginning to accept the way things ought to be! Oo

Ukinix gleefully moved towards the pilot’s seat as he issued an instruction to the computer.

Ukinix: Computer, music playback to 20% volume and prepare for departure. ::Tap of console:: =/\= This is Daintree, requesting clearance to depart. =/\=

The doors to the shuttle raised shut to a close.  Wil rubbed his hands together, excited at the prospect of piloting the shuttle. Tri’lea watched as Wong and Kivik took seats at the science terminals to the rear of the shuttle’s small bridge. Not wanting to miss the action, she steadied herself for the shuttle’s take off.

Ops: =/\= Daintree, you are authorized for departure.  Safe journey, Commander. =/\=

The engines began to whir, the shuttle lifted and then floated towards one of the large exits… or, more accurately, towards the wall beside it.

Wong: Are you sure everything is good, Commander?

Kivik: ::Sweating a little:: Is there uhh… something wrong with the controls, sir?

Tri’lea just tightened her grip on the wall – perhaps standing to observe had been a mistake.

Ukinix: Nah, nah, all good.

The shuttle banked furiously right to align itself with the opening.  It accelerated forward to leave the bay with only a few meters to spare on the starboard side.

Ukinix: See?  ::Small swallow::  No wukkas.

Wong: I dunno what a “wukka” is. But I hope we don’t encounter one.

Kivik looked back at Tri’lea with a slight shrug.

Kivik: oO That one’s another mystery… Oo

Tri’lea: Well, how thrilling. ::Smirking:: If we weren’t awake before, I’m sure we all are now!

Ukinix: Hey, let’s do a quick lap around Amity and check it out through the window.

Wil banked the shuttle left, so that those that wanted it could get a view of the outpost, including the Defiant Class “Indy” docked on top of Terminal A.  The view was even more spectacular with the Galaxy Class vessel attached to the outpost.

Lea felt a general swelling of emotions from the crew as the Outpost, the Indpendence-B, and the Kitty Hawk came into clear view… and it was a sight to behold indeed.

Polgonz: It is rather marvelous, isn’t it?

Wong: Whoa! No one said we were expecting guests. I hope they’re settling in well.

Kivik: ::In awe:: Look at the size of that ship…

Ukinix: Here we go.  ::Pressing warp engage button on helm console:: Bam!

The view out of the cockpit changed from purple with stars, to streaking lines as the shuttle went to warp.

Ukinix: Next stop… the Idrustrix system.  Until then… ::reaching into nearby bag to grab puzzle cube, then putting feet up on console:: enjoy the ride.

Wong: Since we’re at warp, I hope nobody minds if I stretch my legs and check out our home for the trip.

Kivik: I’ll join you, Ikaia. I’ve actually been working on a problem in Science lately that you might find interesting…

As the two officers meandered off, Tri’lea lingered for a moment.

Polgonz: ::To Wil:: Well done – with luck, we’ll arrive and find the situation far more to our liking than Lt. Solak warned.

((Twenty three hours later – Daintree Crew Lounge))

Tri’lea had troubled dreams. As she woke and washed her face, she thought deeply about what was gnawing at her – and there was certainly plenty to feel unsettled about. She was presently on a journey to Idrustix, a world named for her recently-deceased mother, with the distinct possibility in her mind that she would need to undo all the plans that had been previously laid for its colonization.

Furthermore, despite her desire not to act like a meddlesome busybody, she had done exactly that and potentially endangered her relationship with k’Ariadust. Of course, there were also the changes that Ceciri was undergoing. How permanent would they be? Would Ceciri learn to control her abilities or be overwhelmed by them?

Most puzzling, however, were the recurring visions of a red-haired Trill woman leaning across a table and smiling amorously. oO Most unusual. Oo

Now freshened up and dressed in a casual-yet-stylish silk romper, Lea made her way to the Daintree’s lounge. There, she found Wil, sipping a cup of something green. His feet were up on the table while he wrestled with the children’s toy he’d brought along for entertainment. Lea smiled as she crossed the room towards the replicator.

Polgonz: Still working on that, are we?

Ukinix: ::Rotating cube in his hand as he looks at it:: Turns out I’m an engineer, not a mathematician.  ::Gesturing to replicator:: Want some green tea?  You can’t beat a Japanese sencha first thing in the morning.

Polgonz: Actually, Daughter Rivi has gotten me rather hooked on smoothies. ::To the replicator:: Raspberry and banana smoothie – well-blended. ::A playful look over her shoulder:: And add a twist of green tea.

Ukinix: So, how’s the wedding plans coming along?

oO What a perfectly good way to ruin a pleasant conversation. Oo

Polgonz: ::Pointedly:: Don’t ask.

Tri’lea turned from the replicator, smoothie in hand, and took a sip. Inwardly, she hoped Wil would drop the topic.

Ukinix: ::Palms up:: Innocent question.

Lea came to the table and sat, tucking her bare feet up on the chair and cradling her smoothie. A moment of silence passed between the two of them before Lea blurted out what she was thinking.

Polgonz: I know that I can be… harsh at times. But I don’t mean to be.

Wil took his feet off the table, shifted forward in his seat and rested his chin on his palm.

Ukinix: ::Smiling:: At the very least you’re entertaining, Tri’lea.

Polgonz: ::Scoffing teasingly:: How very reassuring.

A friendly, warm, short klaxon tone sounded through the room’s speakers.

Ukinix:  ::Small yawn, covering mouth with back of hand:: Looks like we’ve arrived in the Idustrix system.  ::Finishes yawn, gesturing with head:: Let’s head to the flight deck.

As Wil left the lounge and made his way forward to the flight deck, Lea set down her smoothie on the table, only one sip taken. Suddenly her stomach was in knots. She couldn’t possibly have any more.

oO “Entertaining”...? The gall! Oo

((Flight Deck))

As Commander Ukinix entered the room, Kivik stepped aside from the helm and let the Commander take his seat. Ne offered a friendly wave to Wong as he entered, just behind Ukinx.

Wong: So where are we at this— ::Yawning:: This morning?

Kivik: ::Cheerily sipping a steaming hot Jibrore:: Morning, Ikaia. We’ve just come out of warp in the Idrustix system (as it is now called). So far, everything seems in order.

Tri’lea entered the room, trailing Wong, and looked at the viewscreen. The system was rather lovely, an intense red giant star orbited by four planets. While the outermost worlds were unsuitable for colonization, the second planet resided snugly within the system’s habitable zone. From their vantage point, a faint red-purple aurora could be seen across the planet’s poles.

Polgonz: ::Mesmerized:: Oh. It’s beautiful.

Ukinix: Should we check out the star first?

Wong: I believe something was said about coronal mass ejections from that star? Perhaps we should get a look at it so we have a better idea of what we’re dealing with?

Kivik: Agreed. Once we assess the condition of the star, we should have a clearer picture of what to look for planetside.

Polgonz: And what sort of things might those be?

Ukinix: Responses

Wong: While building weather systems isn’t something I’m familiar with. I would like to at least have a look at the flora and fauna that call Idrustix home. Perhaps the way they’ve adapted to the planet could also provide some other clues as to how to best adapt the weather systems.

Kivik: And I’m keen to check atmospherics and geology. The planet’s atmosphere may harbor trace radiation from past CME’s, which could indicate a ‘build up’ of harmful particles in the air. Studying the planet’s rock should give us similar answers.

Polgonz: Right, well, that all sounds very scientific to me. Meanwhile, I suppose I should like to see the site my father selected for initial settlement… if we have time?

Ukinix: Responses

As the shuttle pulled closer to the star, Wong whistled at the sight of it. Tri’lea could hardly blame him. It was quite grand.

Wong: This never ceases to amaze me. We look out into space all the time and see stars from afar and yet up close, they’re just impressive!

Kivik: ::Hands on hips:: This one is particularly large – it’s a red giant. That explains some of the instability… but of course every star is different.

Ukinix: Responses

Polgonz: Right, well, the more we know the better.

Wong: Kivik, do you want to join me at the science station?

Kivik nodded enthusiastically and sat at the science station opposite Wong, who took his own seat moments after. Ne started tapping away at the console.

Kivik: I’ll start on updating our star system modeling with higher resolution data. That should give us a clearer picture of how the star and planets have changed over time, give us a better sense of where things are in the stellar life cycle. ::To Ikaia:: I recommend checking on what sorts of radiation the sun is ejecting, both through background emissions as well as smaller ejections. We can then look for the same energy signatures on the planet’s surface.

Wong/Ukinix: Response

Kivik: Alright… We’re looking at a main sequence star. ::To Tri’lea:: Which is good, as that means it will behave in a more predictable manner. ::To Ukinix:: Recommend sending out a probe, Sir. I’d like to know if the star is still ‘burning’ helium or if it’s made the switch to hydrogen ignition.

Wong/Ukinix: Response

Tri’lea watched as a probe left the Daintree and made its way silently towards the orange-hued sun looming ahead.

Kivik: Getting back results. Yes, confirmed. The star has already formed its inner hydrogen shell and the rate of expansion is practically nil.

Polgonz: Is that good or bad, Lieutenant?

Kivik: ::Smiling:: Oh, that’s good news. Odds are this system had more planets originally, when the star was in an earlier stage. As it aged, the helium core shrunk and the hydrogen shell would have expanded tremendously, enveloping the inner planets. But, since that expansion has now stopped, the star will only ever get smaller now.

Wong/Ukinix: Response

Polgonz: I take it that won’t happen any time soon.

Kivik: At least a billion years or so, I should think.

Polgonz: Marvelous.. ::feeling her status as non-Starfleet:: ..and how can I make myself useful instead of just standing around asking silly questions?

Wong/Ukinix: Response

TBC

==

Tri'lea Doyoxo Polgonz (she/her)