Lt. Robin Hopper: This Is My Rifle, This Is My Gun

Robin Hopper

Nov 30, 2022, 8:59:49 PM11/30/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Security Center))

With the final orb gone, Robin turned around, lowering her phaser to her side again, and put her other hand on her hip. She hadn’t been thrilled with her performance, especially with Nathan “Deadshot” Richards showing up both her and Ikaia… but that was why she had come in the first place. The next time they were stranded on a planet full of killer robots – she intended to be ready.

Iovianus: Wonderful work all of you.

Richards: Thank you, sir.

Wong: Response

Hopper: So… ::Not looking forward to the answer:: How did we do?

Robin closed back in on the central table, set her phaser back in its spot. Nathan’s words were ringing in her head… “In a real world scenario, if your crewmember is being overrun by targets, we must do what we can to keep them safe…”  She couldn’t help but wonder, if she’d been a little faster on the draw, could she have spared S’Raga from nearly being killed by that probe…?

Richards: I would at least hope we did well enough to recertify. ::Smirking::

Wong: Response

She turned back to face the others, hands on her hips. She felt antsy to try again, to put in the work.

Iovianus: You have all met both Starfleet, and more importantly, my own requirements to keep yourselves certified.

Hopper: ::To Wong, with a little smirk:: Another passing grade.  ::To Iovianus::  I’m sure we still have some room for improvement, though.

Wong: Response

Richards: Good. I’m glad to hear it.

Iovianus: I have a few points I want to focus on with some questions. Beyond the obvious, ::looking at Richards:: Why are you here? Why do you want to do this training?

Richards: Sir, I believe an officer must be comfortable with their weapon and ready to use it at a moment's notice. Having hands-on training is the best way to keep and hold that comfort level with the equipment that could be the difference between life and death.

Robin caught Nathan’s gaze as he looked to her and Ikaia. As a Scientist, her first priority was always trying to understand a situation, to consider all the variables, before taking action. But as a Starfleet Officer, she had an equal – if not greater – responsibility to take action when it was demanded of them to protect the vulnerable. She gave him a brief but firm nod of approval.

Richards: I also wanted to observe my fellow officers in their handling of said weapons to observe their skills and readiness to perform. This exercise has strengthened my trust with them to be able to protect myself and others in the event of live fire. ::smiling::

Iovianus: An interesting way to respond. ::looking at the other two:: What do you think about his response?

Wong: Response

Hopper: I agree with Ensign Richards. In an ideal universe, I’d spend all my time studying the natural world. But the universe isn’t ideal, it’s… messy. I know I want to feel capable of defending myself and others when the situation calls for it.  ::Glancing at Richards::  And I’m happy to know that with someone like Nathan at my side I can feel a little safer too.

Richards: ::a subtle glance at Robin:: I already know I would put my own life in danger to save my fellow officers. It is good to know that with their skills, ::smiling:: I may not have to.

Iovianus: And the two of you?

Hopper: On Idrustix, when the probes arrived, I felt my self hesitate. Not only because I wanted to avoid starting an avoidable fight – but also because I wasn’t confident in my own abilities. That’s not a position I want to be in again, Sir.

Wong: Response

Their responses seemed acceptable to Iovianus. Amity’s Chief of Security was hard to read, but Robin believed he was pleased – however, it seemed he had one additional question for Ikaia.

Iovianus: Doctor, how do you feel about your ability to render aid under fire?

Robin started to answer…

Hopper: Well, I did manage to stabilize S’Ragaaahhh you’re probably talking about Ikaia, hm?

…Before she realized Iovianus likely was referring to Wong colloquially as ‘doctor’. She couldn’t help blushing and took a tiny step back,

Hopper: ::Awkwardly chuckling::  Hahaa.. Woops!  ::To Ikaia, quietly::  Rescue me.

Wong: Response

Despite her misunderstanding, Iovianus also seemed satisfied by Ikaia’s answer, as no additional questions followed. When it appeared that they were ready to move on, Nathan spoke up.

Richards: Sir, I’m ready whenever everyone is for my portion of this training.

Iovianus: Of course. The floor is yours and the range is programmed, when you are ready you may activate it.

Robin clasped her hands together, slightly over-eager at the notion of moving on from her gaffe – but also excited at the prospect of using a vintage projectile weapon for the very first time. Many of the classic literary heroes she revered toted a gun from time to time, and she couldn’t help but picture herself exploring the “mysterious” and “exotic” Amazon Basin (now a massive and well-charted nature preserve) in the party of Professor George Edward Challenger, a rifle slung over her shoulder.

Hopper: Cool!

She looked at Nathan with a twinkle in her eyes, her embarrassment all but forgotten.

Hopper: ::Looking over Richards’ firearms collection::  How do they work?  ::A glance at Ikaia::  And, um, how do we use them safely?

Wong: Response

Iovianus: He has some testing to do on our dampening field and came up with an ingenious way to explore that as well.

Hopper: Oh really?  ::Eyebrow raised::  Do tell.

Richards/Wong/Iovianus: Response

Hopper: Alright, well, I won’t say I’m not intrigued.

Richards/Wong/Iovianus: Response

She turned, once more, back to the antique weapons collection.

Hopper: Right, first things first – this is a pistol, right? And that’s a hunting rifle?  ::Looking at Nathan with questioning eyes::  I take it I should probably start small here as well.

Richards/Wong/Iovianus: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)