JP - Lt. Ikaia Wong & Arthur Summerside: Tip of the Iceberg (Part 8)

Lt. JG Kivik

May 13, 2022, 4:29:28 PM5/13/22
to Amity Outpost

((Later, Amity Outpost – XO’s Office))

Wil drummed his fingers on the small round table while furrowing his brow and reading the report on the PADD he was holding in his other hand.

Eventually, he gently threw the PADD onto the table.

Ukinix: Well, there goes me ordering the occasional BLT from the Brew Continuum.

Wong: It ended up being a much larger investigation than I had originally counted on. But with Siruma in the brig, I don’t think we have much of a threat of contaminated iceberg lettuce anymore.

Summerside: You’ll find all the details in Lt. Wong’s report… I, on the other hand, tried to keep my “report” brief. To save you the read. oO And to keep the juicier bits for my inevitable prize-winning article, of course. Oo

Keehani Ukinix executed a perfect double eye roll before looking at Arthur.

Keehani: Withholding evidence for your “prize winning” article might be in contravention of Federation law, Arthur.  Anything more you should be providing to us?

Arthur frowned. oO Damned Betazoids. Oo

Summerside: Just the flavour, Miss Ukinix. Everything important is in there.

Ukinix: So now we have a dodgy ship captain detained in the security centre, who was hired by someone who had it in for not only the Vidiians, but unfortunate Talaxians in a ship race.  I’ll never look at lettuce the same way again.

Wong: It’s not the turn of events I expected. But we now know where that torpedo came from and who was responsible for it. Far too many people became sickened or injured because of this.

Keehani shifted in her seat, and exhaled a little.  She hadn’t seen Arthur since she had blown up at him in the Glommer and Beagle after that article.  Even though it had been evidently heavily edited from his original version, it still had Arthur’s name next to it, featured Keehani’s name in the contents, and for that she was still dark at him.

Keehani: This is truly awful, but this is a Starfleet issue.  ::Gently throwing PADD onto table as she crosses her legs:: I’m not sure the Diplomatic Corp needs to be here.

Summerside: I requested you be here because there are clear implications for the diplomatic situation in the Quadrant… oO And so you can change your tune about me. Maybe give me a medal. Oo

Keehani: ::looking down at fingernails:: I am *not* giving you a medal, Arthur.  Mediocrity is not a reason for a medal.

Arthur frowned again. oO Damned Betazoids. Oo

Wil chuckled a little at Arthur’s frown.  He was learning that stray thoughts around Keehani and Rivi were pointless, and that you may as well just speak whatever was on your mind - you at least had a chance to “soften” the words as they came out.

Summerside: You call this mediocrity? Capturing a Romulan conspirator who poisoned half the station? ::Exaggeration:: Identifying the ship that torpedoed those helpless Talaxians? ::Emotional Manipulation:: Bringing us closer to resolving a diplomatic crisis involving the Vidiians? I’m a damn hero! … Wong too.

Keehani: ::Sarcastically, palms up, grimaced smile:: Yes, okay, Dixon Hill, you did a good job, good boy. ::Under her breath, looking down:: For Four’s sake.

Ukinix: Alright.  I’ll pass all of this on to Commander Iovianus, for further investigation.  ::Looking at Keehani:: We may even share our findings with other Delta Quadrant governments?

Keehani: ::Pursing her lips for a moment, then nodding before speaking:: Maybe.  That’s up to the Ambassador.

Wong: We have at least one of the key players involved in the incident in the brig right now should we decide to pursue this.

Ukinix: Right, now that’s done.  ::Standing up, rubbing hands together:: We’re all going to the pub.

Keehani: What? Now?

Summerside: Hey, it’s five o’clock.. ::checking watch:: ..on Sikaris.

Given the day Ikaia had, drinks didn’t sound too bad.

Wong: Right. Well, consider me down for that.

Ukinix: Because ::Pointing between Arthur and Keehani:: It’s times like this I hate being part Betazoid.  I can feel the simmering tension between you two.  You need to sort this %*$* out, and I’m going to shout you all a round of drinks.  Maybe even two.

Keehani: ::Standing up:: ::Quiet scowl::

Summerside: ::To Ukinix:: Don’t forget that bourbon you were going to buy me.

Keehani was already out of the door, unimpressed that she had to spend more time with Arthur.  Wil turned to look at Arthur as he himself walked towards the door.

Ukinix: ::Smiling:: Don’t worry, you won’t have to twist my arm very hard.

As the Ukinix cousins made their way through the door, Arthur lingered to put his coat and hat on. Alone, momentarily, he leaned in to speak with Wong.

Summerside: Hey, nice work out there, Kid. You ain’t so bad.

Wong: The same could be said for yourself. Things got really bad out there.

Summerside: No, really. If it weren’t for you, we never would have cracked this case… ::Considering:: And I might’ve wound up chopped up in a salad or one of Ukinix’s BLTs.

Ikaia couldn’t resist a snort of good humor.

Wong: Well thank you. At least now we’ve gotten something dangerous off of the station and nobody else is going to get sick or injured from Siruma’s meddling. We did good out there.

Summerside: What can I say? You and I – we’re men of the people. We love the little guy.

Ikaia smiled at Summerside.

Wong: Indeed we are. Indeed we are…

END

Lieutenant Ikaia Wong PA-C