Lt. JG Kivik: Change In the Wind

Lt. JG Kivik

Aug 16, 2022, 2:21:11 AM8/16/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Habitat Ring, Paxau District, Talaxi Palms Hotel – Spa))

Polgonz: Oh, don’t mind me then. I’ll make myself scarce and let you two talk. ::To Rivi:: Would you like another smoothie? ::To the J’naii:: Kivik?

Vataix: I'm good... ::She glanced back at her glass.:: ...but I was curious about the "blueberry blast from the past" flavor...

The two Betazoids exchanged grins. Kivik, normally the type for trying new things – particularly sweet things – felt too unsettled to accept the offer.

Kivik: No, thank you.

Polgonz: ::Shrugging, with a relaxed smile on her face:: Suit yourself. I’ll be back…

Kivik was puzzled by Daughter Ascendant Polgonz. Perhaps it was the fact that the Betazoid woman was so inconsistent… Then again, ne mostly knew Polgonz as she was during their fateful trip to Idrustix – riddled with an emotionally-compromising sentient bacteria. At first the noble had seemed very friendly and outgoing. Then, of course, during their mission she had gone a little ‘loopy’... But after Kivik and Ikaia had brought Commander Ukinix and Polgonz their inoculation against the deleterious effects of the bacteria she had seemed distraught, cold, maybe even fearful – for days afterwards, during all their briefings. Now she seemed to be ‘on’ again.

The J’naii shook nir head as Polgonz left then turned back to face the ever-levelheaded Rivi Vataix, allowing nemself to relax a little. The news he had to share still had Kivik ill at ease.

oO Now… How do I tell the Ambassador that I’m thinking about leaving… Oo

Vataix: Ah, I see…

oO EEP!! Oo

Kivik: Oh, yes. ::Nervous titter:: I forgot about that.

The Ambassador gestured to the now empty lounger next to her.

Vataix: Please, Kivik, lie down next to me.

Kivik: Okay.

Before ne knew what ne was doing, Kivik had taken a seat in the lounger and stretched out nir legs. Ne felt as if ne were attending a counseling session. In a way, Kivik supposed ne was attending a counseling session… Just not the typical variety.

The attendant who had been working on Polgonz’s feet looked over at nem.

Kivik: ::Waving hands:: Oh, uh, no… No need to worry about me. This is not really… that sort of thing.

Vataix sipped her smoothie and shrugged in her typical carefree manner.

Vataix: You might as well enjoy the services while you're here.

Kivik felt anything but carefree in that moment. Ne weighed the options before nem and decided that one – refusing Vataix’s suggestion might appear rude and inconsiderate given the circumstances and two – perhaps the massage might actually help nem relax enough to talk through things.

Kivik: Umm. Alright.

Ne pulled off nir Starfleet-issued boots and set them on the ground beside nem.

Kivik: ::Speaking to the attendant, a bit embarrassed:: Thank you.

A moment passed where Kivik thought of nothing but the distant and bright ceiling above them, designed to appear like a lovely blue sky.

Kivik: Ooh! That tickles! ::Chuckling awkwardly to the startled attendant:: Sorry… Please, continue.

Vataix: So you're thinking of leaving Amity? Are you unhappy here?

Kivik: No! No no no no no not at all. Honestly, Ambassador, I haven’t felt so ‘at home’ since I left J’naii. I really love Amity and everyone here. We just finished the Science Center upgrades and… well everything here is just perfect…

Kivik sighed deeply and twiddled nir thumbs for a second.

Kivik: But therein lies the problem. Here, I don’t feel like I’m pushing myself anymore. When I first took that leap, left home, and traveled to Federation space seeking out a career in Starfleet I was bold… Since then, I feel like I’ve lost that part of myself a bit. During my recent stint as Acting Chief Science Officer on the Kitty Hawk I felt that part of me again.

Vataix: I see... so then what's worrying you about making the decision?

Kivik: That’s just it. I’m happy here. Content. I feel like I have something to lose. It was easier choosing to leave J’naii – I didn’t have much choice. Leaving Amity means willingly giving up my second family.

Vataix: Response

Kivik: I’ve been thinking of asking Captain Rahman about the position… Chief Science Officer, that is. I know it’s currently ‘open’ and the nearest candidates will all be back in the Alpha Quadrant. But I know Rahman – and now I have seen myself in that role and… I think I can do it.

Vataix: Response

Kivik: I’ve certainly taken on some additional responsibilities here and, under yours and Commanders Ukinix and Carter’s guidance, I feel like I’ve grown as an Officer. But I think the next step of that journey needs to happen ::gesturing into the distance:: out there.

Vataix: Response

Kivik: It certainly wouldn’t be tomorrow or anything. I wanted to speak with you about this before I talked to Captain Rahman… and of course, there’s still Commander Ukinix and Acradem to help ..  ::searching for the right words::  ..Untangle? Re-tangle? And I’d want to make sure that there’s someone in place to take over my responsibilities here.

Vataix: Response

TBC

==

Lt. JG Kivik (ne/nem/nir)