Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix - We Are All Made Of Stars

Wil Ukinix

May 19, 2022, 7:01:51 PM5/19/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Miombo flight deck, a few minutes later…))

Somewhere in the back of his mind something told him this was not your normal, average, naturally occurring wave of destruction that was heading towards the Miombo.

Reade: Its coming, its around 10 seconds from hitting our port side.

Iko: We need to go. now!

Ukinix: I know! I know! … ::Biting bottom lip:: Iko, engage warp.  Now now now!

Reade: That was close

Iko: Engaging.

The shuttle rocked to the left the edge of the subspace wave caught up with it.  Sparks began to fly from panels around the flight deck.  Wil gripped the edge of his console, his knuckles turning white as he watched the stars through the window… A split second later, those stars formed lines and turned into streaks.  The Miombo was at warp heading home.

Still gripping the console, Amity’s XO slowly closed his eyes as he felt his heart sink.  The realisation of what had just happened washed over him like the subspace wave that almost engulfed the Miombo.

Reade: Phew! Did we get the Ensign?

Pangs of dread hit Wil in the chest.

Iko: Did you get them?

Wil looked down, swallowed, then shook his head.

Ukinix: ::Solemnly:: No.  No I couldn’t.

Reade: Wait, what? Are you serious?....... Oh, that's not good.

Iko: So uhh... That... Happened...

Wil didn’t respond immediately.  He just swallowed, before closing his eyes, then resting his forehead in his palm.

Ukinix: I couldn’t get a lock.

Reade: You did all you could Wil.

Iko: Can someone man helm for a moment?

Ukinix: Yeah. ::Sigh:: Yeah, I can.

Wil looked up to see Bec rushing towards the back of the shuttle.  She rubbed her hand along the picnic chair, before disappearing towards the crew lounge.  He looked at Reade, and felt his face drain of blood as it turned white.

Reade: Thanks Wil.

He got up out of his seat, and headed towards the front seat of the flight deck.  As he took his seat, he watched Scotty head towards the back of the shuttle towards Bec.  A quick check of the flight controls showed that she had set everything up perfectly, and they were heading at warp towards Amity.

Sitting back in his seat, he sighed then closed his eyes.  There were many Starfleet firsts he never wanted to have and hoped he could avoid throughout his career.  Losing a member of an away team was one of those firsts.  He stared in silence at the streaking lines of warp through the front window, before eventually rage, guilt, and frustration all formed into tightness in his chest.  He felt his fists clench into tight balls and air fill his tighten his lungs as he inhaled through his nose, before he decided he could no longer hold on to that tension.

Ukinix: ::Short Shout:: #$%#$!

((Crew Lounge, Miombo – short time later…))

(OOC: Have removed Reade’s and Iko’s previous tags in this scene as I’m telling this part of the story from Wil’s point of view, he wouldn’t have heard what they said.)

After hearing Iko yelling Wil slowly walked towards the back of the scout, and eventually made his way into the crew lounge.

Iko: DO YOU? DO YOU REALLY? I WAS ABOUT TO GO WITH THEM YOU KNOW. I COULD HAVE HELPED SAVE THEM!

Wil stopped in the small corridor when he heard Ensign Iko shouting once more.  He swallowed, then continued walking to make his way into the lounge.

Bec was still in her EV’s undersuit.  Lying on the floor was the crumpled EV suit, its helmet sitting on top of it.

Reade: Understood. :: To Wil:: You ok mate?

Wil slowly nodded, before crossing his arms and shaking his head.

Iko: I'M FINE, WE'RE ALL FINE, THAT ENSIGN IS FINE.

Bec closed her eyes and clenched her teeth, and Wil sensed her pain and anger instantly turn to regret.  He took a seat in the chair opposite from her, and rested his elbow on the table while covering a hand over his mouth to gather his thoughts.

Ukinix: Bec, no amount of Academy training can prepare any of us for when something like this happens.

Reade: Response

Iko: What does it take to fix a smashed EV suit helmet?

Ukinix: ::Shaking head:: Honestly, Ensign, don’t worry about it.  We’ll have plenty of replacements when we get back…

He trailed off.  Helmets could be replaced.  Lives couldn’t.  He crossed his arms on the table, and looked down.

Ukinix: I almost had them.  But the thoron radiation… ::Shaking his head::

Reade: Response

Ukinix: We’re almost back at Amity.  As hard as this is, we have to return to the flight deck and prepare for our return to the shuttlebay.

Iko/Reade: Response

(OOC: Happy to backsim to continue this conversation as required)

((Amity Outpost, Shuttlebay – Memorial Service, the next day))

In full dress uniform with his hands visibly tightly clasped together, Wil stood in front of the Miombo. The scout itself stood on its own near one of shuttlebay’s entrances, stars and the purple nebula acting as its backdrop.

He looked out towards the group of people that had assembled, and addressed them.

Ukinix: One of Starfleet’s primary functions is to be the space exploration arm of the Federation.  Space exploration is not without risk.  My own home planet’s first forays into space always faced danger.  The crew of Apollo 13 to Earth’s moon stared down that danger and returned home.  The commander of the Ares IV mission to Mars faced danger, and it wasn’t until 2376 did we find out that he also bravely stared it down.  But he didn’t return home. The crew of Voyager fittingly committed him to the stars.  Modern technological advances have allowed the Federation to travel and explore our galaxy in a way those pioneers would be proud of.  Starfleet is always at the bleeding edge of that exploration.  As Starfleet officers, we accept that the risk, and the danger, still exists to this day.  We’re not phaser-proof.  Yesterday, in very sad circumstances, Starfleet lost a fellow officer.  They aren’t the first, and sadly they won’t be the last.  And we must never forget the sacrifices made by all of those who are lost in the line of service.

Wil held back tears as he stared down at the floor, not knowing where else to look, or what else to say.

There was a deafening yet fitting silence in the shuttlebay.  Eventually, he made his way over to a nearby wreath that was propped up against some crates.  After picking it up, he returned to the shuttle and placed it gently on the shuttle’s open door.

Slowly he turned back to face the people who were assembled.

Ukinix: I’ll invite anyone who wants to say a few words to come forward.

Reade?/Iko?: Responses?

Any: Responses

Tags

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix