Lt. Robin Hopper: That’s Me

Lt. JG Kivik

Aug 15, 2022, 4:04:37 PM8/15/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Security Section))

Having completed her initial assessment with the Chief Medical Officer, it wasn’t far to Robin’s next destination – the Chief of Security’s Office. Filled with excitement, Robin entered the Security Section and found a number of junior security personnel preparing for their shift. She waved and offered a friendly smile.

Hopper: ‘Morning!  ::Pausing mid-stride and turning to address the nearest Officer::  Sorry to bug you, but you wouldn’t happen to know if Commander Iovianus is in right now? I have to stop by for my security clearance and I didn’t think to check ahead of time.

Iko: ::Waving hand dismissively, smiling:: All good mate. ::pointing with thumb:: He's probably in the office.

Robin peered around the junior lieutenant and noted the frosted glass office door at the end of the section with a nod. She returned her attention to the woman in front of her and smiled.

Hopper: Thank you for the help, Lieutenant…?

Iko: Iko. ::raising palm:: Call me Bec.

Hopper: Nice to meet you. Don’t worry about the pips. Call me Robin or Hopper, or anything along those lines.

Iko: ::repeating the name for memories sake:: Robin. So... You're new out here?

Hopper: Yup! It’s been a long road, but Amity’s been sort of a ‘dream destination’ for me ever since the Federation announced its plan to set up shop out here.

Iko: Well, welcome. ::smile:: And uhm... I'm free for coffee after if you want.

Robin raised her index finger in the air, then pointed to Bec.

Hopper: Ooo, I’ll take you up on that. I’m not sure how long my meeting with Mr. Security wil be, but I’ll chirp your combadge once I’m out. You’ll have to show me the best place to caffeinate.

Iko: Response

Hopper: On the Grand Mezzanine?  ::Chuckling::  I’m sure I’ll find it, but I’ve been living in a tiny deep space science vessel for the past two years – so forgive me if I take a few extra minutes.

Iko: Response

Hopper: Sounds great, Bec. Thanks again for the help! See you soon.

Iko: Response

((OOC – Let’s end off here for now; But feel free to start up another scene with Bec and Robin meeting for coffee afterwards, if you feel like it!))

((Shortly Thereafter – Lt. Commander Iovianus’ Office))

After waiting a moment, Iovianus came to the door and opened it manually. Robin wondered, briefly, if he was being formal or cautious. Either way, as the door slid open, Hopper stepped inside with a warm smile on her face, following the Commander.

Hopper: Pleasure to meet you. You have a very welcoming team.

As he took his seat at the desk once more, she tucked her hands behind her back and stood at a fairly casual ‘attention’.

Iovianus checked his PADD. Robin wondered if, perhaps, he didn’t take too kindly to her showing up unannounced and made a mental note to book proper appointments with him in future. All the same, she was here now and might as well try to make the most of it.

Hopper: I’m happy to answer any questions you might have, of course. ::Chuckling:: You never know who might have spent time in a New Zealand penal colony!

Iovianus: ::glancing up from the PADD:: Mhmm.. ::indicating the chair across his desk:: Please have a seat.

Robin nodded and took the offered seat, sitting with her hands folded in her lap. For a moment she felt like she was back in grade school being called to the principal’s office. She did her best to avoid making jokes – her normal ‘go to’ for diffusing tension in such situations – sensing that Iovianus may not be in a mood to be joked with.

Hopper: Thank you. ::A moment’s pause:: Sir.

Iovianus: ::sitting the PADD aside:: So you have experience with the penal colony system?

Hopper: Oh!  oO There you go! Oo  No, of course not.  ::Chuckling, a little uncertainly::  Just kidding around. You don’t have anything to worry about me.

Iovianus seemed satisfied with that answer and moved on to a new line of questioning.

Iovianus: What is your scientific speciality?

Hopper: I hold a PhD. in Physics, which I earned at Starfleet Academy – and I minored in Programming, which is more of a personal interest of mine. But, you know, like most SO’s I dabble in a little bit of everything.

Iovianus: Have you found your apartment yet? What about your medical check up?

Hopper: Actually, I just came from my check-up with Lieutenant Wong. He and I go way back – we actually met during our time as cadets in San Fran–  ::Stopping herself from getting off topic::  …That can be a story for another time. I’m fit for duty. I’ve got a room booked at the Talaxi Palms hotel until my quarters are settled. Currently, I’m leaning towards the Beijing District.

Iovianus: Response

Hopper: Well, as I sort of mentioned, I finished my studies in San Francisco at the Academy. Before that I completed my undergrad at UC Berkeley – that was my first time on Earth, actually. I grew up on Theta VII, near the edge of the Beta Quadrant. Old frontier colony world… not too far from Magna Roma, actually.

Robin sat back in her chair a little, feeling a bit more at ease now that she was no longer (jokingly) implicating herself as a reformed criminal. She couldn’t shake the feeling that Iovianus had a depth – maybe even warmth – under his cold hard exterior and she was determined to bring it out of him, if such a thing was possible.

Iovianus: Response

Hopper: It’s a small place still, though we’ve come a long way since the twenty-two-hundreds. Mostly agricultural, though there are some legacy mining operations still going on. My parents opted to settle down there and bought a farm. Needless to say, I didn’t travel much as a kid.

Iovianus: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)