Girls’ Trip - Chapter 1: Betazed Flowers (Part 1)

Wil Ukinix

Jun 7, 2022, 9:58:05 AM6/7/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Library, Amity Outpost))

With most of her Starfleet senior staff away on the Independence-B assisting the Kitty Hawk, the station had felt unusually quiet. Well, as quiet as a bustling hub of 2200+ inhabitants on the Delta Quadrant frontier could be. Still, Ambassador Rivi Vataix had to admit she did miss them, even the little things like their obsession with observing ancient naval traditions. What space had to do with the sea, Rivi had no idea, although perhaps that was something she could look into now that she was down here in the library.

While most only saw Rivi when she was “on stage” at various diplomatic events and public functions, usually well-dressed and with a drink in her hand socializing with various dignitaries and VIPs, much of her time was spent here in the library or in her office or home studying. While she did not attend Starfleet Academy like Wil, John, or Captain Rahman, she had received a well-rounded education from the Ohmallera University of Arts & Sciences, where she’d earned her bachelor’s in linguistics before getting a master’s in public administration from the University of Betazed.

Still, when she’d first been approached by the Betazed government about having her name put in as a possible Federation ambassador appointee, she took on the responsibility seriously. This was not to be just a vanity posting–not when she knew all the lives that depended on her and the decisions she would be making over the next few years.

And so, just as she had in her university days and since, whether it was researching into the diseases for the various charities she supported or a sociological issue that a foundation was addressing for which she sat on its board, Rivi continued to pour hours of research and study into the night, only this time now learning as much as she could about the various species of the Delta Quadrant and their histories. The experience with the Vidiians and the backlash from the other species at the expo only reiterated the importance of being properly prepared.

Her reading of post-atomic age Brenari civilization was interrupted by a call from her aide, Keehani Ukinix.

Keehani: =/\= Good Morning, Ambassador, this is Keehani.  Could you meet me in Peace Park?  There’s a matter that you need to attend to. =/\

Vataix: =/\= Peace Park? ::checks the clock hanging on the wall of the reading room:: Are we changing our briefing venue? =/\=

Keehani: =/\= Madam Ambassador, our normal morning briefing will have to wait.  Please hurry. =/\=

Vataix: =/\= All right, I’ll be right there. =/\=

((Peace Park, a few minutes later))

Rivi entered the serene environment of Peace Park. Divided into various sections, the large nature reserve was the closest “real” bits of home for many of the station’s residents outside of the holodeck. Here, various trees, flowers, and other plantlife had been transplanted out into space to provide an oasis from the tritanium hull and glossy station interiors elsewhere across Amity.

As the ambassador walked through the park, though, she didn’t see Keehani. Furrowing her brow a bit, she continued to wander down the path. There weren’t many people out this morning, and with Wil and the other Starfleet senior staff away, Rivi hadn’t been as strict about always having her security escort (or “shadow” as she’d come to think of them) tailing her.

And yet, she could sense someone *was* following her, stalking her through the trees and bushes of the park. She looked from side to side to see where it was coming from but there was no one else. Still, she could feel their focus and determination. It was coming from right behind her-

Lekasa: ~~ Surprise! ~~

Rivi exclaimed aloud, breaking the silence of the park as she turned around.

Vataix: Tani! By the Four!

Tani Lekasa, Rivi’s old roommate at Ohmallera University, looked mightily proud of herself. The other blonde returned a wicked laugh before embracing Rivi in a warm hug.

Lekasa: ~~ I can’t believe you’re still such an easy mark! ~~

Vataix: ~~ And I can’t believe you still enjoy childish antics like sneaking up on people. ~~

Tani continued to laugh. The Betazed nobility often exhibited a certain aloofness, and Rivi Vataix was a quintessential Betazed noble. For a regular Betazed citizen like Tani, there was a little bit of mischievous delight in knocking the nobles back down to Betazed every now and then.

Lekasa: ~~ Oh, don’t be a sore royal. ::smirk:: And I’m *always* up for antics. Now come on, your aide is going to get worried something did happen to you if you don’t come along… ~~

The two made their way over to the Betazoid flaura section of Peace Park, where Keehani sat on a rug that had been spread out on the beautiful green grass.  On it was a charcuterie of different foods from both the Alpha and Delta quadrants, and positioned next to it was a silver drink container complete with a matching silver straw.  It contained Rivi’s favourite smoothie, ready for her to consume.  On the edge of the blanket sat a small stack of PADDs.

Upon seeing Rivi, she stood up and proudly smiled.

Keehani: Ambassador.  ::gesturing to blanket with both hands:: Welcome to your morning briefing.

Vataix: My, my, isn’t today just full of surprises?

Rivi looked over at Tani and cleared her throat.

Vataix: Oh, forgive the speaking. We’ve had a lot of practice using our verbal communication after half a year working with non-Betazoids.

Lekasa: No apologies or explanations needed. As a mediator, I’ve had my fair share of practice, too.

Rivi exchanged smiles with her old friend before turning back to the younger Betazoid aide.

Vataix: So what’s this all about, Keehani?

Keehani: Well, Ambassador, I have noticed that you have spent far too much time in your office recently.  So, ::hand on chest:: I as Ambassadorial Aide, and Wil as First Officer, have taken it upon ourselves to get you out of there as much as possible.  For your own wellbeing.

Vataix: Is that so?

Keehani: It *is* so, Ambassador.  I contacted Tani and asked her to help with the change of venue for your morning briefing.  Your Ambassadorial Aide is looking after you.

Rivi returned an amused expression, moreso at the assertiveness of her aide. Keehani had always been brave and forward when it came to going after what she wanted–after all, she had confronted Rivi herself to request placement on Amity–but she knew the young Betazoid was still adjusting to her new role, like any young person starting out in her career after university. Rivi enjoyed seeing Keehani’s confidence continue to build as she became more comfortable with her role out here on the station.

Lekasa: And after looking over you grand station’s layout, I knew the *perfect* place to pick as soon as I saw they had real flowering Muktok plants here. ::looks to Keehani:: Take notes. They’re her favorite.

Keehani smirked as she switched her focus to Tani. It had only been days earlier when she had sensed an undercurrent of “amorous” feelings in her cousin Wil…

TBC…

First Secretary Keehani Ukinix
Ambassadorial Aide, Amity Outpost
Federation Diplomatic Corps, United Federation of Planets
V239511WU0

&

Tani Lekasa
Mediator, Betazoid Government