Dr. Kamoyo Aleksandrov - Flavors of Emissions

Madalain Ackley

Nov 28, 2021, 5:55:53 PM11/28/21
to Amity Outpost - StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Ops Center, Amity Outpost))

Just as they were about to leave the elevator, Wil looked up to the roof.

Ukinix: Computer. Grant Dr Kamoyo Aleksandrov temporary access to Ops for today, authorization Nine-Alpha-Omega-Six.

Computer: ::Confirmation tone:: Access granted.

Aleksandrov: ::smirks and mutters:: Must not trust me.

Ukinix: ::Smiling, gesturing for Kamoyo to go first:: All part of the service, Doctor.

Wil led Kamoyo to the centre of the room where there was a holographic display of Amity.  It was used instead of a traditional viewscreen found on Starships, and he looked forward to programming a hidden pool table into it at some point.

There was a mess of red dots of varying sizes, swirling around the holographic Amity – the red dots representing masses of Stellae.

Vataix: Wil, we have a new crew member: this is Ensign Paarus Zalbac, our new operations officer.

Wil swiveled around when he heard Rivi’s voice.  Upon seeing Ensign Paarus, Wil took a step forward and offered his hand to the Bajoran.

Paarus: Greetings!

Ukinix: ::Smiling:: G’day Ensign, welcome to Amity.

Vataix: This is Dr. Kamoyo Aleksandrov, a geologist on Amity.

Aleksandrov: Bright greetings to you, Ensign.

Vataix: All right, so what do we have here exactly? How many are there?

Ukinix: It’s hard to tell exactly, but we’re looking at around a thousand, maybe a grand and a half.  Our scanning techniques are getting better, but they aren’t perfect.  We can scan for their, um… you know… I’ll let Doctor Kamoyo explain.

Aleksandrov: Because of what they consume, what goes in must come out Ambassador. Their… emissions so to speak, which have a unique signature all their own. Combined with the type of lifeform they are, we have come up with modified settings that will give us a more accurate count.

Paarus: Station systems appear to be within standard variances. The mezzanine roof is taking quite a beating. I am working on reinforcing the structural integrity fields around the mezzanine. That should give us some breathing room while we figure out our next steps.

Rivi observed the holographic amity in the centre of the room.

Vataix: Do we have any idea why they're congregating around us?

Ukinix:  They’re attracted to Federation ships.  Maybe with the increased ship activity since we’ve been here, it’s attracted the Stellae our way, in big numbers.

Aleksandrov: Our emissions you could say.

Kamoyo joined the others looking out to the shuttle bay. Through one of the entrances, they could see the creatures zipping past at almost frighteningly fast speeds, their beautiful and colourful tendrils flowing behind them.  Shuttle bay personnel were amassed at the entrance, watching the creatures and talking to each other.

Keehani: ::Raised eyebrow:: They’re certainly having fun.

Paarus: These creatures are quite beautiful. It's no wonder that they have become a central feature of Halwat culture. ::returning his focus to the console:: It doesn't appear that they are causing damage to the station, but they are very much in the way of standard operations.

Ukinix: I’ve asked Commander Iovianus to assess if the creatures can harm any part of the station, but even if they can’t, we need to clear them so we can get ships in and out.

Paarus: ::Thinking out loud:: Can the Halwat control these creatures? Perhaps they can help us somehow keep them away from the station?

Aleksandrov: ::moving to stand next to the ensign:: As I understand it, they follow these Angels from place to place.

Vataix: Response

Keehani: There is the matter of the Hawlat.  We are in the midst of diplomatic negotiations, and any wrong move now could set us back several steps.

Ukinix: ::Scowled sigh:: Stuff the Hawlat, Keehani.  I’m all for cordial Federation relations, but the situation has changed.  This is an immediate operational matter now.

Aleksandrov: ::white eyebrows go up:: Now really, Commander...

Vataix: Responses

Zalbac watched as the First Officer reviewed a list on his console.

Ukinix: The Yosemite is out, taken by Reade, Araiadust, Wong, Kivik and Iko.  All other ships are in, including the Indy-B on Terminal A which is probably being buffeted by Stellae as we speak. ::More taps:: It’s secure on the Terminal, and in one piece.  No damage.

Vataix: Responses

Paarus: Have we considered trying to fence in the Stellae somehow? We could route some of the station's plasma exhaust that we use to power our subsystems to external ports. We could collect the exhaust using a photonic resonance field. Perhaps the creatures could be corralled into a controlled area out of flight paths and critical infrastructure?

Ukinix: Maybe it’s a matter of divide and conquer.  ::Looking towards one of the large windows with view outside to shuttlebay:: What about the worker bees, they’re pretty small.  We’ve got thirty of them, they’re all in section Bravo of the shuttle bay. Point-zero-one C top speed is nothing to sneeze at.  If we could get the Stellae to follow them somehow, we can send them off in all different directions away from Amity and have the Stellae follow them.  Kinda like multiple pied pipers.

Vataix: Responses

Paarus: The worker bees are highly maneuverable and I bet they would work well to herd the Stellae. We will be like cowboys but in space! We will need somewhere to herd the creatures...

Keehani: What should we tell the Hawlat, Ambassador?

Vataix: Response

Paarus: Just say the words, Commander, and I can get reroute the plasma and get to work on the "fence." I estimate I would need about 20ish minutes to establish a photonic resonance field. That should give us enough time to get the worker bees into position.

Aleksandrov: ::holds up a warning finger:: All that is presuming they won’t find the fence a tasty treat.

Vataix/Ukinix/Keehani/Paarus: Response

Aleksandrov: That is the source of our problem. They are attracted to… our ::does air quotes:: Emissions. They eat plasma. They might think our exhaust is feeding time.

Vataix/Ukinix/Keehani/Paarus: Response

Aleksandrov: We have found an area they cannot do damage to, but leading them there will be the trick. ::smiles:: The Commander wants to be the bad parent and drop off the children.

Vataix/Ukinix/Keehani/Paarus: Response

TAG TBC

Dr. Kamoyo Aleksandrov, BS,MS, PhD

Chief of Geology