Lt. Robin Hopper: Me And I (Part 1)

Lt. JG Kivik

Aug 17, 2022, 9:27:29 PM8/17/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Science & Research Center, Level 9, Train Platform))

As the purple-hued train hovered to a gentle stop in the Science & Research Center’s terminus station, Hopper peered eagerly through the window of the sliding glass door. Robin had hardly believed it when she had read, years ago, that the Federation’s newest station, to be established near the border of the Delta Quadrant – a repurposed Copernicus Station, now dubbed “Amity Outpost” – was going to feature multiple train lines. That had given her some sense of the scale of the place, described as being like a ‘floating city in space’. It was evidently no exaggeration.

There was no doubt that serving aboard the deep space science vessel, USS Wall Street, had been a life-changing experience for the young Science Officer. After years spent in halls of learning at Starfleet Academy and UC Berkeley, she had finally had the opportunity to put all the theories to practice outside of a simulated environment. She had grown to think of her Department Head – that was Chief Science Officer Lieutenant Trisha Montgomery – as more of an older sister than a boss, the two women working closely on a number of projects that had, in Robin’s estimation, given her the confidence to request the transfer to Amity.

Now, as she stepped off the train onto the brightly-lit platform, she took a deep breath and tried to settle the butterflies she was feeling.

Kivik: Good morning! Lieutenant Hopper?

She turned to face the Science Officer that was approaching her. While she’d never met one of their kind before, the blue forehead ridges were unmistakable – as was the J’naii’s distinctly ungendered voice and appearance. She recognised them immediately as Amity’s senior Science Officer and smiled warmly, giving a small wave.

Hopper: That’s me! You must be Lieutenant Kivik, is that right?

Kivik: ::Returning her smile::  You bet. Just Kivik’s fine though, or Mx. Kivik if you prefer. I believe you technically outrank me, Ma’am.

Robin couldn’t stop herself from laughing. She raised to cover her mouth as she barely held in a snort.  oO Can you imagine?! Oo

Hopper: Oh, no! That’s way too weird. Please, don’t ever call me “ma’am.”  ::Indicating her pips::  Besides, I’ve only had the second solid for a few months – but I’ve been Robin my whole life.

Kivik: ::Nodding::  Robin it is then.

Kivik held out a hand, which Robin gladly accepted, and they shook.

Hopper: Oh, and forgive me for asking if it’s rude – but what pronouns do you prefer?

Kivik: Not at all. Ne or they. Nem or them. Nir or their.  ::Smirking::  I won’t report you to the CO if you make a mistake or something though.

At that, the J’naii waved Robin towards the turbolift, pressing the button to summon a lift as soon as it was available.

Hopper: If you ask me the person to hold accountable is whoever’s programming the Universal translator. To think they still haven’t worked out a proper translation!

Kivik: ::Brow ridges scrunched in surprise::  I’m impressed. You’ve done your research!

Hopper: Well, programming’s always been an interest of mine. I used to do holonovels, actually. Kind of embarrassing to think about now, but there’s some dusty old computer cores sitting around on Theta VII with some stories that should never see the light of day.

It was Kivik’s turn to laugh and, as the turbolift arrived, ne tried to contain nemself. The gaggle of Ensigns and Crewmen that stepped out onto the train platform seemed concerned they were missing something important, but Robin gave them a reassuring wave and a shake of the head.

Kivik: ::Calming down::  Hey – whatever tweaks your freak, right? Come on, let’s head up a couple floors to The Hub.

Robin followed Kivik into the lift. The doors slid shut behind them with a familiar whoosh and the lift began moving upwards.

Hopper: The Hub?

Kivik: It’s what people have started calling the central open-access section of the SRC – not an official name, mind you. I’m still waiting on Ambassador Vataix to sign off on her recommendations.

Hopper: Got it. That’s floors 9 through 12, right?

((Level 12 – SRC Administration / Offices / Meeting Rooms , SRC Lounge & Mess Hall))

The J’naii nodded. Before ne could respond, the lift came to a stop and the doors whooshed open again. Robin looked around at the split-level space. Around them was a fairly spartan – but modern – lobby with comfortable seating. Beyond was a little mess hall of sorts, with a bank of replicators and some tables and chairs where Science Personnel and Civilians sat and mingled over lunch. Upstairs were a smattering of offices and some meeting rooms with glass-panel walls forming a ring that looked out over the central landing below.

Kivik: Indeed – oh, and I apologise that my civilian counterpart, Dr. Aleksandrov, isn’t able to be here. She’s got a lot on her plate.

Hopper: I can imagine.  ::Looking around, with one arm crossed – the opposite hand at her chin, index finger tapping at her lips in thought::  Hmm…

Kivik: Something the matter?

Hopper: Huh? Oh! No, sorry. I was just thinking this place could use a few plants to, you know, ‘spruce things up’ a bit.

Kivik: Ah. Yes, you’ll have to forgive the decor. Ops and Engineering have done an excellent job modernizing and getting things up and running – but they aren’t necessarily interior decorators. Actually, my roommate Scotty once bought us a table that was waaay too big for the–  ::chuckling::  I’ll tell you another time. Let me jot down your suggestion.

Kivik made some notes on nir PADD.

Hopper: I’d be happy to help with that initiative. I’m no designer either – but I know plants. Actually, would it be possible to see the Botany labs?!

Kivik: ::Tapping at nir PADD still::  Hmm? I thought you were a Physicist.

Hopper: I am. Formally. But I grew up on a hydroponic farm so, you know, I’ve always had a bit of a green thumb.

Kivik looked at Robin curiously.

Kivik: Green thumb? That’s a new one.  ::Nodding::  Remind me to see if Lt. Solak knows that one.  ::Lowering nir PADD and clipping it into its holster::  Botany it is!  ::Pushing button to summon lift:: Why don’t you take us there? It’s on the civilian levels, but you’ve got your security clearances all worked out, right?

The lift doors opened and the J’naii held out nir arms, indicating Hopper should take the lead. Robin stepped back into the turbolift, Kivik following her.

Hopper: Mhmm. Iovianus is an interesting fellow! ::A brief pause::  Level 21.

The doors shut and the lift whirred to life.

Kivik: To be honest, I’ve always found him a little intimidating.

Hopper: Naahhh, I bet he’s a real softie once you get to know him. The people with the tallest walls usually have the nicest gardens.

Kivik: ::Blinking::  Hmm. That’s another new one.

Hopper: ::Shrugging::  Pretty sure I just came up with it – but I stand by it!

TBC in Part 2/2…

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)
Science Officer, Amity Outpost