Lt. Robin Hopper: Tell Me More, Tell Me More

Robin Hopper

Dec 1, 2022, 9:01:39 PM12/1/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Grand Mezzanine, Wet Goods Tavern))

Two servers approached the table and set food down in front of the diners, Robin eying her caprese sandwich eagerly. Drinks were then deposited, S’Raga’s iced latte in front of him and Robin’s iced tea in front of her.

Hopper: ::Picking up her glass::  I propose a quick cheers – ::nodding to Evelyn and Scotty::  to you two! Way to make the galaxy a little smaller, you guys!

Reade: Robin! There was no need for that.

Robin smiled and offered only a teasing shrug in response. It only seemed fair to spotlight the two of them.

Beake: ::blushing:: You did not have to do that at all!

S’Raga: ::Raising his glass in turn:: To you too!

As the blushing couple toasted, along with Robin and S’Raga, they all took a drink from their various beverages. Something about real brewed iced tea reminded Robin of home – which was strange, because she’d only ever drank it from the bottles dispensed by the vending machine outside the ancient arcade… But it felt homey all the same. Robin smiled.  oO Maybe I’m just a glutton for nostalgia… Oo

Hopper: Now, sorry, where was I? Oh, right, Evelyn, what’s life on the Kitty Hawk like these days?

Reade: Please share.

Beake: Well, life is really good at the moment, the ship is always busy. Engineering is extra busy as the Chief Engineer is on leave. Also having a CO as good as Captain Rahman was great.

S’Raga: Oh, I really admired how she handled that whole situation with the Trenvonn!

Robin nodded… She recalled how frustrated Commander Ukinix had gotten when their noble Betazoid companion, Vananth-Polgonz, had insinuated Rahman was apathetic to their plight. Clearly the woman was well-respected by her subordinates, though Robin had only met her for a moment during the mission briefing… Still, they’d all gotten out of it alive – so the Captain of the Kitty Hawk must have done something right.

Hopper: Scotty, you served under Captain Rahman, right?  ::Trying to recall the details of his personnel file::  …Aboard the… Veritas? Is that right?

As she listened to the answer, she took a small bite from her sandwich. The vegetables assembled on a toasted sourdough roll was as delicious as she’d hoped. She glanced over and noticed S’Raga seemed to be enjoying his Cajun chicken sandwich as well. It struck her that, when it came to their culinary preferences, they were essentially opposites – and the thought made her smile to herself.

Reade: Well, she was my first CO. I wonder if she knows that I am dating you Eve.

Evelyn paused and thought for a moment, before answering the question.

Beake: Hmm, I actually don't know the answer to that one.

S'Raga: I can't imagine telling my CO if I was romantically involved with a crewmember. But that's just me. I think it'd just be awkward.

Hopper: ::Lowering, but not dropping, her sandwich::  Maybe at first, S’Raga… But if you’d been together for a few years, I’m sure you’d feel more comfortable with it being common knowledge.  ::Shrugging::  You’d probably prefer to move in together, share quarters… Not really something you could keep from the CO.

She refrained from reminding S’Raga that ship’s Captains were even allowed, under Federation law, to perform marriage ceremonies for the sake of Scotty and Evelyn. She’d embarrassed them enough and, without knowing how close they were to considering such things, had no intention of throwing that particular question into the arena.

Reade: Let her know the next time you see her. Curious about what she says.

Beake: Will do! How are things on the outpost?

Robin deferred to S’Raga with a small gesture of her hand, as she had a mouthful of mozzarella, tomato, basil, and sourdough.

S'Raga: Well, we're technically on shore leave, but there's always plenty to do. I got roped into working a few Ops shifts here and there, but keeping busy can be a good thing.

Hopper: ::Swallowing::  I’m trying to keep my time in the office to a minimum, but even during shore leave, I can only be so ‘hands off’. Actually, I’ve been thinking I ought to designate an assistant, but ironically I haven’t had time.  ::An amused look to Scotty::  How’s Ops faring?

Reade: Well, it's really busy, and Amity is super busy as always.

There were general nods around the table as everyone took the natural break in conversation to indulge in their lunches. Robin looked about at the table, happy she had decided to roll with the ‘misunderstanding’ and accompany Scotty for lunch. She’d been so caught up in her own priorities that she’d almost missed out on the opportunity to get to know her crewmates better… and that would’ve been such a shame.

oO I wonder if S’Raga has a partner… Oo  It was a bit of mystery, given that he’d admitted, only a minute ago, that he’d feel awkward admitting a relationship to his CO. She wondered if that was true for his colleagues as well.

There was still a lot she didn’t know about the Caitian Ensign – but, considering how much time they seemed to be spending together, she figured she ought to change that.

S’Raga: Hey, I'm wondering if any of you can recommend a good holo-novel. I have some holodeck time coming up, and I'm definitely not taking anymore recommendations from my sister!

oO PERFECT! Oo

Hopper: Ooo! Now that is something I am happy to chime in on.  ::Looking around::  Not that I’m looking to hog the conversation, of course.  ::Tilting her head::  But I did used to work for a holonovel publishing firm.

Reade/Beake: Response

Hopper: What sort of stuff are you into, S’Raga?

S'Raga: I've been trying out a few Caitian fantasy holo-novels, but I think I'm in the mood to try something different this time.

Hopper: Well, I’d be happy to recommend one. Or several.  ::Getting excited::  Actually, Keehani Ukinix was just telling me about this one… Oh, what was it called? “The Second To Last Game.” Apparently there’s a holonovel adaptation of the book that she didn’t seem that enthusiastic about… But it could be fun.  ::Grinning::  I’d be happy to run it with you, sometime. We could be detectives!

A fan of the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie, Robin was far from unfamiliar with the genre. In fact, she found it thrilling. A good mystery really tickled her brain in much the same was unfolding a scientific problem did.

S’Raga: Response

Hopper: Scotty, Evelyn, what were the last holodeck adventures you went on?

Reade/Beake: Response

Hopper: ::Grunted with love:: Ugh… I love the holodeck. Scotty and S’Raga can attest. I’m an enthusiast.

Robin had all but forgotten her sandwich and drink, the ice melting in her glass, quickly converting the ‘iced’ tea within to ‘watered’ tea.

Hopper: ::To everyone:: What are some of your favourite hobbies?

At last she remembered that she was here for lunch and picked up her glass of iced tea, sipping at the straw happily.

S’Raga/Reade/Beake: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)