JP - Cmdr. Wil Ukinix, Keehani Ukinix, & Tri’Lea Polgonz: Imza & Tholta (Part 2)

Wil Ukinix

Apr 21, 2022, 2:07:34 AM4/21/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((OOC – This JP takes place shortly after Tri’lea’s arrival on Amity Outpost, in the days following the 2399 New Years Eve celebrations))

((Amity Outpost - The Spire, Lighthouse Restaurant | 239901.02, Evening - Continued))

Ukinix: Mmm. oO Awkies Oo

Tri’lea smiled, though she kept her arms crossed. The Commander was rather cute when he was befuddled. She remembered Keehani’s words from that morning, “It’s true. Astradem Ukinix, Wil’s grandfather, did those things,” and wondered, briefly, if the same devilish streak might run in him as well. She bit her lower lip subconsciously.

Polgonz: Don’t worry. I’m not offended by your disagreement. My mother enjoyed dominating those around her, but I have no such cruel streak. ::Genuinely:: I’d like to hear what you have to say. Lady k’Ariadust may share your reservations and I–

At that moment, the server returned with a decanter of wine and two stemmed glasses. Tri’lea held her thoughts for the time being.

Ukinix: oO Saved by the pompous Andorian. Oo Ah, beauty.

Waiter: This is a recommended drop from your home region, Commander.  Would you care to taste it before I pour?

Wil smirked a little.  It was a centuries old tradition, one that should have died out.  Many people thought that it was a polite gesture to make sure that they liked the wine.  But that was not it at all.  In the old days of corked wine bottles (excluding the French who stubbornly still used cork in their wine bottles) there was a much higher chance of a wine being spoiled through wine taint - the process which, for different reasons, could spoil the wine within - or as his winemaker Dad would expertly say, make the wine “completely stuffed.”

But with modern technology such as argon caps, the practice was just about as redundant as a mood ring on a Vulcan.

Ukinix: ::Gesturing politely to Tri’Lea:: Let our Betazoid guest try it.

Tri’lea followed suit, taking her glass delicately by the stem and lifting it to take in its intense aroma before sipping at it. She swirled the wine in the large bowl, maximizing its contact with the air, before allowing herself to drink.

Polgonz: ::To the Waiter:: That’s very nice. Thank you. ::To Wil:: I understand your family has a vineyard on Earth.

Wil gave the waiter a polite nod, who knowingly complied and poured more wine into Tri’Lea’s glass, followed by Wil’s, and the remainder into the decanter.

Ukinix: Yeah.  In a different part of my home continent compared to this one.  ::Picking up glass, smelling it:: Ooh this one is bold, brash and :taking a sip:: - mmm, delicious.  Plum, hints of spice.  Big and full bodied on the palate.

Polgonz: Well, you certainly seem to know your way around it. I imagine your time there made quite an impression on you.

Ukinix: Yeah, and Dad’s a wine maker as well.  ::Smiling:: Didn’t really get much choice.  ::Lifting glass:: Cheers.

She took another sip from her glass – perhaps a little larger than was entirely appropriate – but the conversation had to inevitably turn to the ‘elephant’ as Wil had put it.

As Wil took a sip, he noticed that a rather large “sample” of wine had gone into Tri’Lea’s mouth.

Polgonz: As I was saying before, I’d like to hear what you have to say about my purpose here.

Wil himself, mid sip, allowed more of the liquid into his mouth, before swallowing, placing his glass down, gathering his thoughts, and then looking at Tri’Lea.

Ukinix: Let me ask you a question before I answer.  Why is it that some people in the galaxy get so much privilege, so much wealth, and in some cases, so much power, based solely on who they were born to?  Or… yeah @%@ it I’m gonna say it, who they marry?  ::Palm up politely:: Don’t get me wrong, this question is not specifically directed at you, Earth has its own history of that kind of thing as well.

Polgonz: Mmm. oO Awkies Oo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((Amity Outpost - Starfleet Ops, Level 1, Copernicus Center | 239901.02, Morning - Continued))

Polgonz: ~~ Keehani, I’d like to be more than just friends… I’d like to be allies. ~~

Keehani: ~~ ::Smiling:: It would be very helpful for our petition if you were to make a statement during our hearing.  A noble house in support of giving grandmother control of the Ninth House back would add significant weight to our claims. ~~

Tri’lea nodded and returned Keehani’s smile. Whatever hang ups the other noble Houses had about the Twentieth, the future Daughter Ukinix did not seem to hold herself – a reassuring thought. oO I suppose hardship has a tendency to wear away at old prejudices. Oo

Polgonz: ~~ And, of course, a re-established Ninth House supporting the work of the House of Travellers would do a great deal to help us with our inroads on Betazed as well. ~~

Keehani: ~~ ::Larger smile:: You know, I’m glad you came to Amity.  ~~

Keehani smiled at Tri’lea.  She was a typical noble - always considering her next move for control and power, well spoken, beautiful… who was arranged to marry someone else.  She pushed that last train of thought out of her mind.

Tri’lea cocked an eyebrow and smirked, sensing that her own thoughts weren’t entirely unique. Were things different, perhaps a more intimate strategic relationship would be possible… But that was not feasible. oO Perhaps if k’Ariadust won’t have me… Oo – though that potentiality was fraught with other issues that Tri’lea would rather not consider, at least not yet. No, at least for now, Ceciri would need to remain the most important person in Tri’lea’s future.

Keehani: ~~ ::Changing subject:: Why don’t we continue the tour.  Have you been to Peace Park yet? ~~

Polgonz: ~~ I have not, though it sounds lovely… You know, growing up in the House of Travellers, one sees all sorts of space stations - I can tell that this one is special. I’d like to see everything it has to offer! ~~

Tri’lea held out an arm and linked with Keehani’s. For a moment, she felt like a child again, setting aside the worries of a Daughter Ascendant and enjoying the moment. No matter what the future held in store for her and House Polgonz, at least she wouldn’t be facing that future entirely alone.

Polgonz: ~~ I have some dinner plans this evening… but until then, I’m all yours. ~~

END Scene

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((Amity Outpost - The Spire, Lighthouse Restaurant | 239901.02, Evening – Continued))

At Wil’s question, Tri’lea looked over her wine glass, eyebrow cocked. She had expected more tactful tiptoeing, though it didn’t disappoint her to be wrong. Betazoids were used to dishing out and receiving honesty – even harsh honesty – and it seemed as though Commander Ukinix may have taken on more of this trait than he realised.

Polgonz: Well now.. ::a sip of wine:: ..that’s a rather loaded question. I suppose the simple answer is that successful civilizations – those who reach the stars – tend to favour order. Ours is but one solution, but it is a rather elegant one, when it works. My family’s authority has allowed Betazed to grow rapidly, even while recovering from the Dominion War. I would say that problems mostly arise when individuals abuse their authority – which happens among all forms of government, does it not?

She took a moment to collect her thoughts, and try to read the man across from her. She sensed conflict - though exactly what about was harder to grasp. Ukinix’s mind swirled with a myriad of ideas. Thoughts of family, of history - Earth’s and Betazed’s, Starfleet protocol… She took another sip of wine.

Wil sensed that Tri’lea was probing his senses.  He had tried not to show his feeling of doubt in regards to Keehani’s petition at the Reconciliation Forums of Betazed.  Tri’lea showing up might only encourage Keehani.  Her petition was understandable, and he’d learned to accept it.  But deep down, there was a part of him that hoped she failed.  That way, he could keep on being simple Wil Ukinix from Earth, Starfleet officer.

Polgonz: May I ask, how familiar are you with matters of nobility – titles, inheritance, and so on – aside from your own family’s circumstances?

Ukinix: We learned history at school.  My home continent used to be its own sovereignty, but its head of state used to be someone in another sovereignty.

Tri’lea leaned back in her chair, bringing her glass of wine with her. For a moment, she almost felt as if she were back on The Wanderlust having a heated conversation over dinner about the proper role of the nobility with her mother and father. Her mother, Idrustix, had been a resolute traditionalist – her father, a more open-minded influence. Still, both of them agreed that the Royal Houses of Betazed were an institution worth investing in and protecting.

Polgonz: ::Chiding, playfully:: Now, Commander, you must be careful not to anthropomorphise Earth’s ancient history onto others. The Royal Houses of Betazed are integral to the foundation of our civilization. I grant, that doesn’t mean they should be immune from criticism – we all must adapt – but I’m here because of an agreement made between two mothers, not to champion imperialist philosophy.

Ukinix: I understand your purpose here.  It’s to marry someone who was betrothed to you.  I’m not going to stand in the way of that.  But there’s two things I’m concerned about.  One, Lieutenant Ariadust.  Her welfare in her capacity as a Starfleet officer is part of the First Officer’s job description.  Her personal welfare, along with all of my fellow officers on this Station, are of each other’s concern.  Regardless of rank, or assignment, or whatever. I said as much yesterday, her free will is important.  I will look out for her as long as she wants to be a Starfleet officer, and if that means that a forced marriage impinges on her personal freedoms, or her capacity to be a Starfleet officer?  That concerns me.

Polgonz: I would take it as a great comfort, Wil, if you would believe me when I say that I am not here to force anything on anyone. Old fashioned as we may be, even the Royal Houses of Betazed do not have the authority – nor, I should hope the audacity – to supersede Federation law in service to any one’s ambition.

She leaned forward, a look of steadfast intent on her face that would have rivalled her mothers’.

Polgonz: I’ve spoken with Lady k’Ariadust already, at the party last night, and while neither of us are thrilled about the circumstances of our intended union… I am pleased to say that she also appears not to be entirely opposed to the notion.

Wil sat back slowly, and grabbed his wine glass.  He eyed Tri’lea for a moment, before looking down in a subconscious way to show concession.

Ukinix: I see.

Polgonz: Betazoid and Cygnian culture have much in common. In some ways, we are more similar to one another than either of us is to Earth. I believe Lieutenant Ariadust and I feel a common desire to respect the traditions of our people. You said yourself, Wil, that your father is a winemaker, following the path laid by your grandparents – and that you therefore had little choice but to appreciate the product of that cultivation too. This marriage is the product of our parents’ cultivations – Ceciri and I have little choice as to whether or not we honour it as well.

With that, she sat back in her seat again and finished her glass of wine. While she believed everything she said, there was more to all this than a simple arranged marriage – more that she did not need to discuss with Wil Ukinix just now. Long-laid plans, alliances to be formed, whole planets to claim… Why was it that among all that, this should be the most challenging of her objectives?

Wil chuckled a bit to himself. His family’s “Cultivations” didn’t involve forcing two people to marry just so their families could benefit from it - they were career paths.  And he chose to follow his mother’s career path, as a Starfleet officer.  But, he mused, this was probably a typical response of someone important detached from reality.  He shifted the “she’s so detached from reality” thought from his head, and pushed it behind his emotion towards the wine glass in front him.  The wine was genuinely delicious.

He also pushed his small sense of pride behind that same emotion.  It was the first time he felt he could control his feelings, to the extent that a Betazoid may not be able to detect it.

Polgonz: ::Indicating the wine glass:: This is very good. We should have more… ::Looking around:: And do they serve dinner in this restaurant?

Ukinix: They sure do.

Wil looking around again for the female Andorian waiter, before spotting her.

Ukinix: Excuse me, garcon?

The Andorian woman raised an eyebrow, before moving over to the bar area and grabbing the menus.  Even though Wil was now focused on food (sometimes his stomach was the master of his mind), Tri’lea had one final thing to say on the previous subject.

Polgonz: I have no desire to rob you of her, nor her of a position within Starfleet. You may refer to your own Ambassador Rivi, First Secretary Keehani, or Deanna Troi to see that belonging to a Royal House need not prevent active participation in the Federation. In fact, it’s rather fortuitous that she should be posted here, to Amity Outpost, given my own family’s aims to begin colonisation efforts in the sector.

After a short amount of consideration, Wil almost channelled his laid back, winemaker father.

Ukinix: ::Bottom lip out before speaking:: Yeah, fair enough.

Polgonz: But if you hesitate to believe me because of my.. ::waving a hand in the air as if shooing away some disreputable idea:: ..lineage – then you do not need to take my word for it. I recommend you speak with Lady k’Ariadust herself and see what she thinks of the matter. You may be surprised.

Ukinix: Oh, I intend to.  At the very least, one of our counsellors will.

He gave Tri’lea a respectful smile and nod, before the waiter arrived at their table.  She handed a copy of the finely printed paper menu to Tri’lea, before handing one to Wil.

Waiter: Madame. Sir.  ::Looking at Wil:: Garcon means “boy”.

Ukinix: ::Blushing:: Oh, um- right.  Sorry.

Tri’lea couldn’t help but smile. Perhaps the wine was affecting her more than she had anticipated. Even the most serious of conversations was not immune from occasional absurdity – the inherent unpredictability of ‘diplomatic’ relations. No matter how ‘ready’ Tri’lea felt to inherit her mother’s role, she couldn’t deny that she had much to learn yet, particularly in dealing with humans, or perhaps more broadly, with Starfleet personnel.

oO Perhaps I ought to speak with Daughter Rivi… She may be able to give me some pointers. Oo

Polgonz: ::To the waiter:: Thank you very much. We’ll just need a moment. ::To Wil, as the waiter obliged and stepped away:: We may both find this dinner more enjoyable if we change the subject away from ‘business’ and on to lighter matters. I think, at least, we understand somewhat each others’ positions. All I ask is that you allow Ceciri to make a choice that you, yourself, would not – if that is what she deems to be right… Now, what exactly are “prawns” and what does it mean for them to be “barbecued”?

Not able to help himself, Wil suppressed a smirk and answered as straight as he could.  He did enjoy misleading off-worlders for a laugh

Ukinix: They’re a ::hands apart demonstrating something gigantic:: huge, wild winged animal that breathes fire, and “barbequed” means they’ve been cooked in an active volcano in the planet’s southern hemisphere.

For Wil, the dinner was turning out to be an interesting, informative, and amusing evening.  Despite their differences, Wil enjoyed Tri’lea’s company.  And she was so very attractive…

END Scene

((The Next Morning - XO’s Office, Level 3, Copernicus Center))

While Wil was approving some resourcing requests on his desk console, the door chime to his office rang.

Ukinix: Come in!

In walked his second cousin, Keehani Ukinix, holding two coffee cups.

Keehani: Morning!  I went past the Brew Continuum and got a present for you.

Ukinix: ::Palms up:: Oh, Keehani, thank you, but I’m trying-

Keehani: -trying to give up coffee, I know.  ::Placing cup down on desk:: It’s hot chocolate.  ::Smarmy smirk:: You’re welcome.

Ukinix: ::Playfully blinking eyelids:: Why thank you, First Secretary.

Keehani rolled her eyes and shook her head, as she sat down.

Keehani: Soo… I hear you had dinner with Tri’lea Polgonz last night?

Ukinix: ::tiliting head to the side:: Who told?

Keehani: Oh, ::smiling:: I have my ways.  You know me.  How did it go?

Wil rested his chin on his fist, and leaned forward a little.  Tri’lea was effectively a taken woman, but she was lovely.  It was hard to deny she was attractive.  But he didn’t want Keehani to sense that.  So he changed the subject.

Ukinix: How did your tour in Ops with Lea go yesterday?

Keehani: I asked you first.

Just as Wil detected that Keehani was trying to deflect something, he noticed her begin to blush.  That was right before there was a look of shock on her face, as she sensed his feelings.

Keehani: You’re *attracted* to her!

Ukinix: So are you!

Keehani screwed up her face, squinted her eyes and poked her tongue out.

Ukinix: ::Screwed up nose:: Ewww.  Gross.

END Joint Post

===

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix

Starfleet attaché and First Officer

Amity Outpost

V239511WU0

&

First Secretary Keehani Ukinix

Amity Outpost

Federation Diplomatic Corps, United Federation of Planets

V239511WU0

&

Tri'lea Doyoxo Polgonz

Daughter Ascendant,