Lt. Robin Hopper: Let Yourself In Why Don’t You?

Robin Hopper

Nov 7, 2022, 5:10:30 AM11/7/22
to Amity Outpost

((OOC Note – This was a bit of a long one! I did my best to respond to all my tags and combine together the last few entries to this scene, which involved various POVs + an aside for Wong and Hopper. Hopefully I didn’t miss anything!))

((Amity Outpost – Copernicus Center, Holodeck 1))

Robin sipped on her orange juice as she waited outside the holodeck. Since Commander Ukinix had indicated this was some sort of ‘training exercise’, she had donned her uniform – though the large transparent cup of juice gave away the face that she was still on shore leave.

As Ensign Richards arrived with S’Raga in tow, Robin offered him the same courteous and professional greeting as she gave all the others, though she was sure that if anyone were studying her face they would have seen her blushing. She did her best to hide behind her large cup of juice – not that it would do much good – and push her personal thoughts away…

Richards: ::Quietly to Robin:: You have a little something on your face… ::Gesturing towards her cheeks::

S’Raga glanced her way, which only made her cheeks warmer. She squinted at Nathan with angry eyes, but her impish little smile gave away that she found being put on the spot amusing all the same. Rather than dignify his antics with a response, she instead turned to S’Raga.

Robin: ::To the Caitian::  Nice to see you, S’Raga.  ::Eyes shifting to Nathan briefly::  Keep this one in line, will you?

Ukinix(H): G’day team! Thanks for coming.

Thankful for the distraction, Robin turned her attention to the Commander, along with the others. She resumed sipping her orange juice and began plotting her revenge.

Wong: Thanks for having us out! ::sips coffee::

Iovianus: You have peaked our interest.

Reade: Response

Richards: ::Taking a large drink from his coffee:: This couldn’t have waited another hour? ::Jokingly, smiling:: I was having one hell of a dream.

Robin rolled her eyes.

Hopper: Alright, alright, I can’t be the only one who doesn’t want to keep standing around here. ::Grinning:: What’s going on? Can we go in?

As she reached the bottom of the cup, she removed the lid and finished her drink, allowing a single ice cube to slip between her lips.

Ukinix(H): Yeah there’s something specific planned, so just head into the holodeck, we’ll be able to begin the program in a few minutes. ::clapping hands together:: All will be revealed. In the meantime, I’ve got a tray of donuts from Circles of Delight in there for you, go grab one.

The Holodeck arch opened, everyone began to funnel in. Robin followed, sticking close behind Nathan.

Wong: Spoiling us a bit before you run this thing, Commander?

Richards: ::chuckling:: Bribery more like it.

Iko: Count me bribed then.

S'Raga: ::To Bec:: You can have mine. Donuts aren't my thing.

Iovianus: ::nodding his head to S’Raga:: A sensible reaction.

Reade: Response

As the others discussed the donuts waiting for them within the holodeck, Robin covertly spit the ice cube into her hand and, walking up behind Ensign Richards, slipped it down the back of his uniform, between his neck and collar, letting it work its way down his back. Smiling, pleased, she announced her own donut preference and stepped away, letting him sort out the melting frozen block sliding down his bare back.

Hopper: If there’s a Boston Cream left in there, I wouldn’t be mad!

Wong: Hops, you have a moment?

Hopper: ::Looking forlornly towards the box of donuts::  For you, Ikaia? Sure.

As they stepped aside, over to a corner of the black-and-yellow gridded room, she took one more glance over her shoulder towards the donuts. Nathan, the scoundrel, had scooped up a Boston Cream.

Richards: Last one!

He took a bite. Robin gasped audibly.

Iko: It wasn’t!

Robin’s brow furrowed – but despite her outwardly scornful glare, she couldn’t have truthfully said that she disliked the attention he was giving her. She could still clearly remember a time when she would have given anything just to be noticed, even if it was to be taunted… Things had changed since then, but forgetting such feelings took time. Since they had agreed to keep things ‘only friendly’ between them, she would have to try.

Hopper (Aside): ::Turning to Wong::  Ugh… Sorry, what was it you wanted, Ikaia?

Wong (Aside): ::Whispering:: Be careful of Commander Ukinix. ::A glance over his shoulders for a moment::

Hopper (Aside): Wha… What?  ::Bemused::  What are you talking about?

Reade: Response

Richards: ::To S’Raga:: What do you think Commander Ukinix has planned for us?

S’Raga: Your guess is as good as mine! Maybe he just wants to show us a cool new holo-novel?

Iovianus: Doesn’t seem like the type.

Reade: Response

Iko: How the… ::pausing to rethink her choice of words:: hell would I know?

Wong (Aside): ::Still whispering to Hopper:: Ukinix is what I call, in my professional opinion, an incurable prankster. Absolutely incorrigible. If this is actually a training exercise, I’d be surprised.

Robin found Ikaia’s warning hard to take seriously at face value. Not only did she know just how easy the well-intentioned CMO could be wound up, she also had developed a pretty favourable opinion of Ukinix based on his leadership during their mission on Idrustix. There, he had seemed to manage his duties seriously, taking a personable-yet-professional approach.

Hopper (Aside): Pffft… Nah. You’re paranoid. You don’t think he’d really do that do you? To all of us? To Commander Iovianus?

Richards: Whatever it is, it's gonna be good.

Iko: Yup.

Iko shouted from several meters away, catching both Robin and Ikaia’s attention.

Iko: ::to Wong and Robin:: Oi! You two, get over here. ::taking another donut:: These are really good and you need to stop missing out!

Robin nodded appreciatively and smiled, but held up her index finger.

Iovianus: You can have my share, I had my breakfast already.

Hopper (Aside): ::To Ikaia::  Look, I’ll keep the warning in mind. But I don’t think Ukinix is pulling a fast one over on us. Now, if you don’t mind–  ::indicating the box of donuts::  –there’s pastry waiting for me.

She walked over as quickly as she could, Wong following behind. Whatever his opinions of Ukinix were, she’d decide for herself.

Hopper: ::To Iovianus::  Thank you, Commander.  ::To Bec::  And thanks for keeping them safe from a voracious Engineer for me.

She gave Bec a friendly pat on the side of her shoulder and triumphantly scooped a Boston Cream from the box, taking a bite. It was, indeed, delicious. She passed the box towards Ikaia, letting him take his choice.

Reade: Response

Wong: Huh? ::Mouth full of donut. :: Did someone call me? I – ‘cuse me. ::Swallows:: Oh those are good. Ahem! Ah! Anyways, I’m just right here with the donuts. Did anyone need anything?

Bec chuckled and pointed towards the donuts in front of them before taking another one.

Iko: These. Gone. from my vision. ::taking a bite:: Or there won’t be any left for the rest of you.

Hopper: ::Covering her mouth while talking::  There theem to be pwenty for eveywone.

Reade: Response

Iovianus: I am sure that donuts were not the reason we were gathered here, correct?

While it might have been a good enough reason in Robin’s mind, the Commander was almost certainly correct. She looked back towards the holodeck arch expectantly, along with the others.

Richards: Alright, Commander. What do you have for us? I think we are ready for the big surprise!

Iko: Or dying of curiosity.

S'Raga: ::Confused:: What?

Robin suppressed a chuckle and elbowed Bec playfully.

Iovianus: We can talk about it later.

Ukinix(H):  It’s not a “surprise”.  It’s a training exercise.  Don’t get too excited.  By the way, how’s the donuts?  Polgonz *loves* ‘em.

Wong: Polgonz? Is she going to show up?

Hopper: Who?  ::To Ikaia::  Is that another Betazoid noble?  ::Smirking::  They seem to be multiplying faster than tribbles!

Reade: Response

Richards: ::Ben Stine-esque Monotone:: I can’t contain my excitement any longer. ::laughing::

S'Raga: Ooh! Maybe it's an impromptu camping trip!

Robin couldn’t help but notice, Wong’s warning still fresh in her mind, as Ukinix smirked and stepped back through the open arch while everyone within speculated. Perhaps the man was up to some sort of mischief… As she took her last bite of her donut, she absent-mindedly picked up another from the box. It had dark chocolate frosting and large coconut sprinkles on top.

Iovianus: No more camping right now.

Wong: Actually, I’d love to be able to have a normal camping trip. I haven’t been able to go on one for a while…. Or at least one where there isn’t something trying to kill us.

Hopper: Well, assuming this isn’t a camping trip – which, ::looking at S’Raga:: I like your thinking on that one – we’ll have to figure one out soon.

Reade/Richards: Response

Iko: So…?

Iovianus: Yes, let's get the meat of this.

Ukinix(H): We’ll be starting in about a minute or two, I’m just gonna close the holodeck doors for a moment.  Won’t be long.

With that, the doors slid shut, leaving the other officers inside. Robin glanced at Ikaia and took a nervous bite of her second donut.

Hopper: ::Mouth full::  You were thaying?

((Holodeck 1, Level 5, Copernicus Center))

Ikaia glanced around at everyone.

Wong: He’s being suspiciously cryptic today.

Reade/Richards/Iovianus/Iko: Response

Before anyone could decide what to do next, the holodeck doors slid open as an enlisted officer in red entered dramatically – a young woman whom Robin regretted to realize she did not recognize. The newcomer immediately addressed them as the holodeck doors closed behind her.

Barberra: Everyone, at attention!  Guess what, for this exercise I’m your CO, Crewman Annamae Barberra, but for the duration of this exercise, you will refer to me as “Caaaptaaaaaiinnn”! ::Gesturing to Cassian:: Commander Iovianus, you will be my first officer.  ::Addressing rest of group:: For the next hour or so - ::Hands on hips:: - your ass is *mine*.  When I call your name, step forward and stay at attennntiiiooonn!

Robin’s eyes widened. Things had taken an unexpected – yet very interesting turn. She took another bite of her donut, chewing excitedly as she observed their ‘commanding officer’ for the upcoming exercise in action. She had to admit, this Barberra had panache.

Barberra: Ensign S’Raga! ::Normal tone, slight smile:: Lovely to finally meet you, you’ll never guess it, Ensign, but you’ve be assigned to… ::return to commanding drawl:: heeelllmm, step forrwwaaard!

S’Raga: Response

Barberra: Lieutenant IIIIIIkoooooo, step forward, because guess what, you have been assigned, that’s right, Secuuuurityyyyyy, hurry up, step forward at attentiiiiiooooon!

Iko: Response

Barberra: Ensign Richards! You’ll never guess what position you’ve been assigned!

Richards:  Response

Barberra: ::Deliberately ignoring his response:: That’s right, meeedicaaaaal, get your butt fooorwaaard!

Robin began to chuckle to herself, but her mirth was cut short by ‘Captain Hardass’. As her name was called she did her best to snap to attention with half-a-donut still in hand and the desire to burst out laughing making her eyes water slightly.

Barberra: ::Eyes shifting to Hopper:: Lieutenant Hoppeeeer!  ::Normal tone, slight smile:: Also nice to meet you.  You’ll be glad to know that you have…. ::deliberate pause to build the anticipation:: … Scciiieeence!  Congratulations, shift your butt fooorwaaard!

Richards: Response

Hopper: Nice to meet you too, ‘Captain’.  ::Wide smile::  Looking forward to it!

Barberra: Lieutenant Reeeeade!  You have operaaaaations, ::eyes open wide at Scotty:: move forward *quiiiiickly*!

Reade: Response

Barberra: Lieutenant Woooong! Step your pretty blonde locks forward, guess what position you have!

Ikaia stepped forward.

Wong: Barberra, I really hope you know what you’re doing—-

Barberra: ::Deliberately ignoring his response:: That’s right, the last assignment, Engineeeeriiiing!

Robin snickered. Somehow, Ikaia had been wrong and right at the same time. Whoever this Barberra was, she was hilarious – and Ukinix and ‘sicced’ her on them all. Wong seemed flustered, but Robin was enjoying the organized chaos. If only the sprinkles on her donut could transform into popcorn!

Richards: Response

Wong: I guess today I’m an engineer and not a medical officer.

Hopper: ::Nudging him::  Just don’t mix up your hypospray and hyperspanner.  ::Wink::

Iko/S’Raga/Iovianus/Reade: Responses

Barberra: ::Shrug, normal tone:: We likely have a holographic galaxy to save.  ::Command drawl tone:: Computer, begin prograaaaaam!

The computer engaged the program.  The holodeck shimmied away and materialized into a replica of the bridge of the USS Independence-B.  It was in orbit around Earth, the North American continent clearly visible on the view screen.

Barberra: ::Wicked smirk:: Take your assigned stations, officers.

Wong: Alright. You heard her. Time to ah… do this….

Hopper: You got it, Cap’n.  ::Taking her seat with pleasure, then looking around::  You know, I’ve never actually set foot on the Independence-B?  ::Amused::  Weird.

Iko/S’Raga/Iovianus/Reade/Richards: Responses

Barberra: By the way, ::To Wong:: Lieutenant?

Wong:  Hm yes?

Barberra: ::Wicked smirk:: I was only joking about your assignment.  Please swap with stations with Ensign Richards.

Robin held in her teasing disappointment. Watching those two flounder in a simulated mission would have been fun! She shook her head. Nathan’s antics had brought out her competitive side and now she had to remind herself not to get carried away. This was, after all, still an officially-sanctioned training exercise, not  a prank.

Wong: Alright, Nathan. Let’s trade places! I think you’d be happier over here.

Richards: Response

As the two officers went to swap, Barberra addressed them again.

Barberra: Hey!  ::Raising finger:: Did I say you could change stations?!  What do you two think you’re doing!

Wong: I can’t do medical from an engineering station, Captain. And I think Richards would struggle to do the same on a medical console. ::A head tilt:: Are you okay?

Richards: Response

Robin followed the discourse with restrained amusement as she activated her own console and looked about the room. The holodeck simulation seemed to have produced a few holographic crew members to fill out the remaining personnel believably.

Barberra: ::Tut:: I’m *kidding*, change stations, geez ::eyeroll::.

Wong: Thank you, Captain.

Richards: Response

Barberra: >:-)

As Nathan left the Medical station, to make his way towards Engineering, he passed Robin. She stuck her tongue out at him playfully.

Iko/Iovianus/Reade: Responses?

Hopper: Science is good-to-go.  ::To Barberra::  What now, Cap’n?

Barberra: Officers, I expect a flawless performance.  Because… ::awkwardly shy tone, eyes looking left:: this is an important assessment for me, and I couldn’t have asked for a better crew.  ::Pause:: So, thank you.

Wong: We’ll give you the best we can.

Robin nodded, trying to hastily finish off the last bite of her donut – but a pesky coconut sprinkle had stuck to her finger.

Hopper: ::Mouth full::  Mm-hmm!

Iko/S’Raga/Iovianus/Reade/Richards: Responses

Barberra: ::Smiling, polite tone:: Oh, look, how lovely, there’s the North American continent, and if you squint closely ::squinting eyes:: you can see my home town!  ::Frown, unimpressed tone::  I hate that place. Helm, set a course so we can get as far the hell away from there as possible.

S’Raga: Response

Barberra: ::Shrug, careless tone:: I don’t care, just pick a destination system.  It’s not like the training program’s gonna let us get there anyway.  One half impulse until we’re out of Sol.

S’Raga: Response

Barberra: Engage, Lieutenant!  ::Eyes open slightly wide, quiet tone:: I could get used to this.

As S’Raga engaged the ship’s impulse engines, Robin stood from her station and made her way over to the Caitian Ensign. She silently took the large coconut sprinkle from her finger and stuck it beside his Ensign’s pip on the chest of his uniform with a wink. Then, without a word, returned to her station feeling quite pleased with herself.

That pleasure, however, would not last long – as a moment later, the simulation threw a spanner into their ‘mission. The ship lurched, rocked violently, and started spinning out of control, tossing nearly everyone on the bridge out of their seats. When the ship’s movement halted, they were way off course, and clearly somewhere within the Kuiper belt near Neptune.

Robin, having not yet made it back to her seat, lurched along with the ship and ended up landing across Commander Iovianus’ lap unceremoniously. As the ship came to a standstill, she looked up sheepishly and extricated herself as quickly as possible, scurrying back to Science with her cheeks flushing yet again.

Computer: Systems malfunction. Warp drive offline. Security breach detected.

Barberra: Well, well, if it isn’t the predictability of surprise, laughing in our collective faces.  ::Getting to her feet, to S’Raga:: I guess you better try to stabilize the ship.  Although I am enjoying this whizzing feeling.

S’Raga: Response

Barberra: ::To Iovianus:: Commander Older Brother, try to get the shields and deflectors to full power.

Iovianus: Response

Barberra: Lieutenant Wong, check on any injured on the bridge, then give me a ship wide injury report.  ::Wicked smirk::  Don’t hold back on the juicy details.

Wong: I’ll keep everything as factual as possible.

Barberra: Ensign Richards, see if you can determine what unsurprisingly, surprisingly knocked our propulsion offline.

Richards: Response

Barberra: Lieutenant Reade, I want a full update on affected ship wide systems. ::Clicking fingers:: Quick quick.

Reade: Response

Barberra: Lieutenant Iko, do we have any internal security breaches?  Or external ones? Or any type, really, I don’t care which.

Iko: Response

Barberra: Lieutenant Hopper, scan for any unauthorized intrusions by anyone on the ship.  If they look hot, I want their contact details.

Hopper: Yes, Captain, I–  ::Realizing what Barberra had said::  Oh!  ::Chuckling::  I will do what I can.

She began running the requested scan and, simultaneously, ran a background scan to look for spatial anomalies in the area. If there was no obvious enemy vessel on sensors, then that would be the next most plausible explanation for the sudden interruption to their flight plan.

Wong: We have three injured on the bridge. We’re looking at at least five broken bones, multiple lacerations and one concussion.

Hopper: Captain – I’m detecting multiple intruders’ biosigns aboard. They must using some sort of device to mask their signatures, so I can’t get a clear read.  ::Looking over her shoulder::  I can tell you they’re making their way towards Main Engineering – but not how hot they are, or even what species.

She glanced at Bec. If the intruders were heading to the ship’s Engineering bay, they could be looking to do some serious damage.

Iko/S’Raga/Iovianus/Reade/Barberra: Responses

Wong: =/\=This is Lieutenant Wong - I need medical to the bridge. Quick.=/\=

Iko/S’Raga/Iovianus/Reade/Barberra: Responses

Wong: Anyone have an idea who or what hit us?

Hopper: Working on it. No vessel on sensors, and no obvious anomalies. My guess would be ‘cloaked’ ship.  ::To Barberra::  Captain?

Iko/S’Raga/Iovianus/Reade/Barberra: Responses

Wong: We have reports of injured coming in, Captain. Much of them down in engineering. What would be hiding out around Neptune who want us dead this much?

That was a great question – and one which Robin was eager to find out. She hadn’t expected to be having so much thrown at them so quickly… but the truth was, holodeck adventures were her forté and she was having a blast! She did her best not to let her smile make it too obvious that this ‘intruder’ scenario was right up her alley.

Iko/S’Raga/Iovianus/Reade/Barberra: Responses

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)
Chief Science Officer, Amity Outpost