Lt. Robin Hopper: More Than A Shuttle

Robin Hopper

Dec 4, 2022, 5:14:51 AM12/4/22
to Amity Outpost

((OOC – Moving this scene ahead per the 48/72 hr rule. Leaving in all of Carter’s tags. Also, since it’s time to get scenes wrapped up, I am making this a little bit of a long one to close it out. Sorry for so many tags everyone!))

((Shuttlebay 4, The Cellar, Amity Outpost))

Robin sidled up beside Nathan, bumping his arm with her elbow as they looked on the shuttle together. The paint job really did make it look ‘complete’ – no longer a cobbled together mess of components. She was pretty.

Hopper: ::Teasingly:: Hell, if I'm not sitting in the cockpit when you launch this thing, you’re going to need a few more weeks of therapy.

Nathan chuckled at her threat. The two of them had developed an understanding, a rapport, while they had worked together to get the Targhee operational. Truthfully, it had hardly taken ‘development’. To Robin, they seemed to have just ‘clicked’.

Richards: Yes, ma’am.

Hopper: ::A teasing smirk:: Good boy.

She took another sip of her coffee – but ‘playtime’ was cut short at the sound of the turbolift doors swishing open behind them. Robin turned to see who it was and, while she had been relishing the chance to spend one last afternoon indulging in their typical banter, she wasn’t displeased at the sight of Amity’s Chief Counselor at all.

Hopper: Oh, hey! Commander, you made it! ::Chuckling:: I’m afraid there’s not much more work to be done, but… ::Pointing to the shuttle:: Take a look.

Carter: Response

Richards: I just put the finishing touches on the outside. I still need to meet with Commander Iovianus about what I can do about arming her for emergencies, and have to get her registered aboard the station. Other than that I think she is good to go!

Robin smiled as Richards and Carter discussed the shuttle. It was sweet to see Nathan so proud of his work – and so eager to show it off.

Hopper: ::Agreeing:: Isn’t she a beauty?

Carter: Response

Richards: ::Smiling:: I’d even wager she could beat both mine and S’Raga’s time through the Grinder. ::Chuckling:: Might have to put that to the test.

Hopper: Well, why don’t we get in there? You’ve done so much work since I saw her last - we could both use a tour, hmm? Don’t you think, Commander?

Carter: Response

Richards: ::Gesturing towards the shuttle:: By all means. A tour it is.

Robin followed Nathan and Carter towards the shuttle, taking up the rear. By now, she had become fairly accustomed to the little shuttle that could and wanted to give her ‘new audience’ the ‘best seats’. She happily sipped her coffee while Nathan led the way, guiding and explaining as he went. He climbed the ramp and gestured around the empty cargo hold.

Richards: This is the Foyer. Leave your coats and hats…anywhere, I guess.

Carter: Response

Hopper: You make it sound like you’re ‘moving in’...  ::Jokingly::  How does S’Raga feel about that?

Next, they stepped through the doorway into the main section of the shuttle. The biobed was folded up against the wall, opening up the main floor. The two doors on either side sat open, giving access to the EVA storage and Munitions closet. There was a small sleeping area with bunk beds that sat directly across from the biobed with a lavatory right next to it.

Richards: This here is the lounge. Lots of room for activities and relaxation. Fully functioning biobed and medical station. Sleeping capacity for two crew members at a time, unless they share. ::cough:: And of course, the luxury suite. ::Gesturing towards the Lavatory::

Hopper: In truth, getting everything functioning – and keeping the layout operationally functional as well, was quite a feat. I remember how she looked back on day one.  ::To Carter::  She’s come a long way, Sir.

Carter: Response

Next, Nathan led the way through another doorway into the Ops section. Terminals sat on either side of the doorway next to two exterior hatches.

Richards: Tactical and Science stations. ::Gesturing towards the two terminals:: Exterior access hatches for multiple points of entry and exit.

Carter: Response

Hopper: Alright Nathan… ::Smirking::  Let’s get to the good stuff, hm?

Richards: And finally, through the last doorway here, is the cockpit. Pilot and copilot consoles. Nothing too fancy. ::Turning towards the others:: What do you think?

Carter: Response

Hopper: Well said, Commander.  ::To Nathan::  This wasn’t an easy project to take on. It was demanding – physically, mentally, and it required you to realize a final product in what was, and I’m speaking from my own observations here, a heap of junk. You’re a dedicated man, Ensign Richards… The Targhee is lucky to have you.

Richards/Carter: Response

Hopper: ::Patting Nathan’s arm::  And, hey, thanks for putting so much faith in me. Letting me be a part of it. I know how much this shuttle means to you, so…  ::Not knowing entirely what to say::  I appreciate it.

Richards/Carter: Response

As they left the shuttle, re-emerging into the Cellar, Robin took one more good long look around. The place still needed sprucing up, but it had already begun to feel much ‘cozier’ on account of the fond memories she now had of its pale, poorly-lit walls. As they reached their starting places, back near the stack of coffee trays, Robin asked the next logical question.

Hopper: So – how soon will she fly? Have you sorted out your certifications yet?

Richards/Carter: Response

As they began making their way towards the turbolift, Robin paused and excused herself.

Hopper: ::To Carter:: Oh, um, you go on ahead, Sir. I’ve just realized I left something in the shuttle. I’ll catch the next one.

Carter: Response? (Optional)

She made her way back towards the Targhee – but, as she heard the lift doors close behind her, she slowed, eventually coming to a stop in front of Richards.

Richards: Response

Hopper: I… Didn’t forget anything.  ::Looking down, fidgeting with her coffee mug::  I’m just… Going to miss this. All this. The shuttle, the work, the Cellar, the… ::Chuckling, holding up her empty cup::  coffee…  ::Looking at Nathan once again::  I guess I don’t really feel ready to say ‘goodbye’.

Richards: Response

Hopper: Well, now we both go back to spending our afternoons ‘in the office’ – so to speak. I mean, your office is probably more like a jefferies tube or something…  ::A tiny laugh, mostly at herself::  Out of everyone I met here on Amity during my first week, you made me feel the most like…  ::Looking for the words::  Like I’d…  Like I belonged here. Thank you, for that.

Richards: Response

She smiled, turning to face the shuttle once more, and put an arm around Nathan, leaning her head on his shoulder.

Hopper: She’ll always be more than a shuttle to me.

Richards: Response?

END

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)