Ensign Esma: Roommate Requisition Request

Roshanara Rahman

May 12, 2024, 1:25:45 AMMay 12
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Cafeteria, Amity Outpost))

Upon reviewing all possible candidates, the young Romulan/Vulcan engineer known as Esma proceeded to the Science and Research Center to inform her desired future roommate. However, upon getting to level 12, she was greeted instead by a crewman who informed her that she'd just missed her target.

Still, Esma was not one to be easily discouraged. If anything, this only proved that her ideal candidate would provide sufficient social stimulus.

Esma made her way over to the cafeteria where the crewman had directed her. The eatery was buzzing with activity, and Esma looked around trying to find the woman she was looking for. Her sensitive Vulcanoid ears then picked up a name.

S. Richards: Hello Molly. My name is Sam Richards and I’m a scientist.

The engineer looked over to see the civilian scientist conversing with someone she couldn't quite see from here. Perhaps a member of a short-statured species like the Ferengi. Then again, Esma herself wasn't that tall either for a Vulcanoid, standing at just shy of 159 centimeters.

Esma walked over to the scientist and whomever she was talking to. Upon hearing the other voice, she could tell it was from a child. Esma recognized the girl from a previous encounter.

((FLASHBACK: Cream of the Ice, Grand Mezzanine, Amity Outpost))

The girl, who'd been nothing but polite and proper until now, then shot Kiani a knowing smile. Esma would have recognized it if she hadn't been so concentrated on planning the best possible attack on the ice cream in front of her.

Molly: Sol III. ::beat, shrug:: Or Earth. Technically both names are correct. It’s widespread knowledge.

Esma stuck the spoon into the side of the ice cream, scooping out a small bit to sample. Once she placed the spoon into her mouth, an explosion of sweetness erupted. While presumably humans and other species found this delicious, for her, it tasted quite tart.

Molly: Earth was actually one of the founding members of the Federation. First contact between Vulcans and Earth occured on the first Thursday of April in 2063, or, Stardate 206304.05. This and the end of Earth's third world war sparked a reform and the United Earth government was formed 87 years later.

Moore: That's right, good job on remembering the date and all. ::Moore looked around at the others.:: Sadly, there are some back on Earth who can’t claim the same feat.

The mention of First Contact Day was a missed opportunity for Esma to let her new friends know that her own birthday was actually the date humans called April 5th.

Instead, not wanting to give the others a hint of her discomfort from the ice cream--especially the Vulcan man--she covered her pain with an exaggerated audible response.

Esma: Mmmmmmph…::Scrunches nose:: …mmmmph.

Unfortunately, her attempt at subterfuge had failed as the noises seemed to *draw* everyone's attention instead. A future Tal Shiar spy she was not.

Esma looked over at one of her fellow ensigns and shook her head slightly.

Esma: ::quieter:: Mmmmph…

Blackwood: You know, if you don't like it…

Veers: ::Nearly choking on her ice cream:: Esma, tap out if you don’t like it…

Kiani: I, for one, appreciate the attempt.

Moore: Maybe try some other toppings? Something to make it more to your liking? Hot sauce?

Sirn: Is this her first time?

How dare he. No! This wasn't her first time, Vulcan.

She'd have answered as such, but now she felt an ache at the front of her head. She made a note not to eat this again.

((END FLASHBACK))

And she indeed had successfully avoided another encounter with the dessert item since that day.

Molly: What kind of science do you do?

S. Richards: Planetary science is my specialty.

Molly: Ooooh…

The scientist then put her hand to her abdomen, a slight rumble erupting.

S. Richards: I was about to get some pizza… want some?

Molly: Response

Pizza *was* a dish that Esma was familiar with. It was popular among the other cadets at the Academy. Esma decided now was the best time to make her approach.

S.Richards: I used to have pizza all the time when I lived in Montana. Do you know where Montana is?

Molly: Response

S.Richards: You’re a pretty clever kid aren’t you?

Molly: Response

S.Richards: Hey, maybe you know my brother. He’s a tall engineer with blonde hair. A goofy smile and a metal arm. His name is Nathan.

Esma: Your brother is the chief of operations and my department head.

Molly: Response

S. Richards: Response

Esma looked over at Molly and nodded.

Esma: He also enjoys physical activities. He picked me up and threw me into Peace Park Lake. I'm certain he could easily do the same to you if you asked.

Molly: Response

S. Richards: Response

Esma looked back over at her department chief's sister.

Esma: Samantha Richards, my research indicates you do not yet have a roommate on Amity Outpost. Is that correct?

S. Richards: Response

Esma: I am in need of a roommate after my previous one was reassigned away from Amity. I have reviewed 109 personnel files, and you are among the upper 50th percentile of my preferred candidates.

S. Richards: Response

Esma: While I have enjoyed the company of my fellow junior officers, I find their behavior and odors at times to be exhausting.

Indeed, while she had grown accustomed to Kaito and Harrison's company and enjoyed their presence, she needed her own sanctuary -- both from the noise but also the pungent scent of the cologne and deodorant that her two colleagues employed, especially on Friday and Saturday nights.

Esma: Would you consider becoming my roommate?

S. Richards: Response

She looked over at Molly and raised an eyebrow. If she could get this young child to encourage Samantha to see the merits of this living arrangement, she was certain that Samantha would make the logical course of action.

Thus, Esma needed to ingratiate herself with the girl. She decided to take on a diplomatic approach, following in the spirit of Amity Outpost's FDC leadership.

Esma: Perhaps we could discuss my proposal while consuming pizza.

Molly: Response

S. Richards: Response

TAG! TBC...

Ensign Esma