[ACT 2] Lt. Robin Hopper: Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough (Part 1)

Robin Hopper

Feb 7, 2023, 11:19:28 PM2/7/23
to Amity Outpost

((Turbolift, USS Jemison))

Hair, bun. Uniform, red. Coffee, black… Hopper smiled to herself as the turbolift swiftly rose from the Transporter Room to the Bridge. First Officer… on an Intrepid Class, no less! The fact that it was only temporary, and only for a simulated exercise, had little effect on the bubbling excitement that she felt. As long as she could remember, the thought of sitting on the Bridge of an Intrepid Class ship in the Delta Quadrant had been a distant and seemingly-unattainable dream. Now it was a reality – and it was an experience she was absolutely going to savour after the discomfort of last night’s dinner.  oO Today is a new day! Oo  She reminded herself as the doors slid open.

((Bridge))

Oh, it was magnificent. Through the ‘new coat of paint’ and the ‘refurbished upholstery’, the underlying nostalgic beauty of the Intrepid shone through clear as day. Lidded mug of coffee in hand, Robin took her first step onto the Bridge and put on her best First Officer face – doing everything in her power not to squeal like the excited child within her that marveled at the familiar layout. The story of Voyager had, of course, been monumental in her early years, as it was for so many young people at the time. She had been six years old when the Starfleet vessel returned from its unexpected adventure in the Delta Quadrant… Twenty-two years later, and they were back, baby!

She made her way straight to the CO’s ready room, eager to get started. Depressing the door chime, she pressed her lips together in anticipation, ensuring her lipstick hadn’t been messed up by the sips of coffee she’d taken along the way.

Ukinix: Come in!

The door slid open, and she stepped through – the Trammps’ Disco Inferno playing softly in the background… At least as softly as the up-tempo song could. She had little time to wonder at the Commander’s tune-selection, as her attention quickly shifted to taking in the visuals.

((Ready Room))

The Ready Room, much like the Bridge, was still familiar, despite the new touches that had been added during the refit. It was almost surreal standing in it – she could almost picture Kathryn Janeway sitting at her desk, scowling. Instead, however, she was met by the smiling face of Wil Ukinix and an unfamiliar Bajoran Commander – whom she assumed was one of the visiting Officers here with the temporary ship assignments.

Ukinix: Well, well, look at you in red!

It had been quite a trip seeing the red skant uniform appear in the replicator that morning in place of the usual blue – but she had to admit… she liked it.

Hopper: ::Looking down at herself, chuckling::  I know… It takes a little getting used to, hmm?  ::Doing a spin, indicating her bun::  But I figured this might be the only time I get the chance to pay proper homage to ‘Starfleet royalty’.

She paused, then reached a hand out to the unfamiliar Bajoran with a friendly smile.

Hopper: Hi, I’m Robin by the way.

Ven: Response

Ukinix: Ooh, where are my manners, Commander Ven, this is Lieutenant Hopper, Amity’s Chief Science Officer.  ::Slight smirk:: Now assistant Rahman slayer.

Hopper: ::Eyebrow raised teasingly::  That’s one way to ‘climb the ladder’, Commander…

Ven: Response

Ukinix: ::To Karsa:: Commander, thank you for the advice, ::offering hand:: we’ll see you from atop of the winner’s podium.  Look after that ‘Tas class.

Ven: Response

She couldn’t say so with any certainty, but Robin wondered if she didn’t detect more than the usual amount of warmth between the two Commanders – not that she would comment. It was hardly the time or the place. Instead, she simply added to the friendly banter.

Hopper: And may the best Blue Team win!

Ukinix: ::Smiling, friendly tone:: Seeya, Karsa.

Ven: Response?

As Ven took her leave, Ukinix offered her a goofy wave. Hopper just smirked silently to herself. It felt almost like the first time she’d realized her sister was dating. Strange, but in a cute sort of way.  oO Mhmm… Not saying anything… Oo

Ukinix: So.  ::Returning to sit behind desk, pointing up to roof:: I heard a rumour that you and I are into the same vintage of Terran music.  Albeit of different genres.

Robin followed him to the desk, taking a seat across from him and crossing one leg over the other. She placed her mug down near the desk’s near edge.

Hopper: There are two types of people in the world, Commander – those who love Disco and those who haven’t given it a chance.  ::Small shrug::  I seem to recall you getting pretty into Super Trouper at your promotion party…

((Flashback, About A Month Earlier – Amity Outpost, Chief of Mission’s Accommodations))

Someone – possibly Wil himself (Robin wasn’t sure, as she’d been distracted making sure drinks and food reserves were staying topped up throughout the large one-story house) – had set up a makeshift karaoke machine in the living room… and she’d found herself ‘summoned’ by the sound of someone drunkenly covering ‘Bad Romance’.

A few minutes, and a few tequila shots, later and she was now standing barefoot on a coffee table, microphone in hand. Wil had made the mistake of asking her to perform a duet, but allowing her to choose the song. While not a duet in the typical sense – ABBA’s “Super Trouper” did feature the vocals of both Agnetha and Anni-Frid… so it counted.

Hopper: ::singing:: All I do is eat and sleep and sing, wishing every show was the last show…

Ukinix: ::singing:: So im-a-gine I-was-glad-to-hear-you're co-ming, Sudden-ly... I-feel all-right…

Hopper: ::singing:: And it’s gonna be so different when I’m on the stage toooniiiiiiight!

Ukinix: ::singing:: To-night, the suuuu-per, trou-per, where’s my poo-per scooooo-per ::snickering::

Hopper: ::simultaneously::: To-night, the suuuu-per, trou-per, lights are gonna find me shining like the–

She shot an unimpressed look to her co-vocalist for his scatalogical lyric change. Rolling her eyes, she did her best to continue without cracking up, but it was not easy.

((End Flashback))

To be fair, she had been supplying him with a steady stream of champagne that night – and he had wound up kidnapped by a temporal agent from the future. Perhaps he could be forgiven for ‘forgetting’ – though he would certainly need to be reminded.

Hopper: But that can wait. Let’s talk ‘war games’.

Ukinix: How are ya’ feeling?

Hopper: About the exercise?  ::Scrunching up her mouth in thought::  I guess I was caught off guard when Rivi first brought it up, but, honestly, I think it’s pretty brilliant. This whole time the Hirogen have been accusing us of ‘hiding behind our words’. This is a chance to show them Starfleet’s substance – show them that Voyager was no outlier.  ::Chuckling::  I will admit… I’m surprised to be taking the second seat, though.

Ukinix: When they asked me for what type of officer I wanted for XO, I asked for someone intelligent, who had natural leadership abilities, a good science brain and was named “Robin Hopper”, so I’m pretty sure that’s how you got the gig.

She blinked a few times, unsure how to respond – and slightly caught up in the “good science brain” comment – but all the same, it was clearly meant as a compliment… and a clear vouch of confidence from Amity’s resident Starfleet authority. The tint of her cheeks began to match her uniform.

The last time she had served with Wil was during the mission to Idrustix, when they had been trapped on the planet’s surface and hunted by drones seeking to eliminate a bacterial “plague”. Hopper hadn’t been sure exactly how her performance then had reflected on her – it had been a bit of a mixed bag, in her own estimation. But if Ukinix saw it otherwise, she was certainly not going to argue.

Hopper: ::Slightly at a loss::  I… Thank you – uh, Sir. I’m glad that’s the impression you have of me. Our last mission together was a bit of… Well, you know. You were there!  ::Grinning::  Anyways, I’m excited to have the opportunity. Particularly aboard this ship.

Wil reached for a disc and placed it in front of him on the desk. Pressing on the oval, it lit up and projected a little translucent model of Voyager floating over top. Robin leaned in, examining it, then looked up at Wil. He would have been about the same age when the ship returned, triumphantly, from what should have been an impossible journey.

Hopper: I take it you watched the feeds too? Back in the day.

Ukinix: Part of me feels like I should put on my old school uniform, *that’s* how nostalgic I feel right now.  ::Pointing at model, leaning in, squinting:: Hey, if you look closely, you can even see Janeway barking orders at what’s-his-name.

Hopper: …Chakotay?

Ukinix: Yeah, him.

Hopper: ::Shaking her head playfully::  Let’s hope today’s XO makes more of an impression on you.

Ukinix: Righto. ::Single clap of hands before rubbing them together:: Shall we head out to the bridge, Lieutenant?

Hopper: Respectfully – You’d have to throw me in the brig to stop me, Sir.

Ukinix: Response?

As he gestured for her to lead the way, she practically leapt out of her seat – picking up her mug of coffee off the desk and beaming with confidence.

TBC in Part 2

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)
Chief Science Officer, Amity Outpost