Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix - Venus

Wil Ukinix

May 15, 2022, 6:57:24 PM5/15/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(OOC: There are “Any” tags at the end of this sim, please feel free to join in on the fun!)

((Archer Station, Habitat Ring))

With two beers and a karaoke duet under his belt, Wil had decided to stop drinking.  The administrative work piled up for him wasn’t going anywhere, and he’d have to get up early in the morning to catch up.

Having just got off the train, the XO looked down at his PADD before looking around him.  The artificial light was starting to fade, simulating sunset (albeit at different rates within each district, to best mimic what the sunlight would actually be like in a district’s location on its home world).

What better way to allow a new officer to decide which area they’d like an apartment in than to tour the districts, rather than having to make them pick from a PADD.

Ukinix:  Alright, we’ve got ::pointing:: San Fran, ::pointing:: Palais-Bourbon, where I live, ::pointing:: Beijing where the Ambassador has her fancy apartment, and ::pointing:: Marrakech.  We can check out the other districts for a look if you like.  ::Turning back to Nathan:: Any of these take your fancy?

Richards: Do any of them happen to simulate something a bit more outdoorsy?

Ukinix: Hmm… that’s kinda what Peace Park is for.  It’s only a train stop or two away. What are you thinking though?

Richards: I dunno, something log cabin like would be perfect. ::chuckling:: Or something with a nice view. Or even a nice viewscreen I can program a view into.

Wil pondered for a moment.

Ukinix: Every district has a metro feel ::Clicking fingers:: but do you know what?  Rixx.  It’s the most green and natural of all the districts by far, and there are beautiful views of not only the district but of the other districts as well.  ::Tapping PADD:: And there are six apartments available.  There’s one, not too far from Sarek station, with views of San Francisco and Laibok.  Let’s go check it out.

Wil looked up at the holographic sign at the station which showed two holographic signs.  The Purple line showed a “2”, while the Blue Line’s sign showed a “6”.

Ukinix: 6 minutes for the next train to Sarek.  It’ll be quicker to leg it.  C’mon, let’s go for walk and have a look at Rixx.

Wil led Nathan along the walking path that ran parallel to the train line, along the edge of the San Francisco district.  In the distance he could see the edge of one of the Betazed inspired mushroom shaped apartment buildings that were prominent in the entire Rixx district.

As they walked, he sensed an inquisitiveness in the new Ensign.

Richards: Sir?

Ukinix: Yes, Ensign?

Richards: Were you serious about wanting to see what I could do aboard the Everest?

Ukinix: Well, I was half serious.

Richards: Latinum where your mouth is? ::smirking::

Ukinix: I mean, not against me, I um-

((Flashback – Training Holodeck, Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth – Stardate 239203.14)

Wil was horrified when, two days earlier, his instructor had “volunteered” Wil to be helm of a holographic Intrepid class ship for a bridge simulation exercise with other cadets.  He sat in the seat and wondered what the hell he was going to do.  He’d been through all the theory.  He had understood the helm’s control’s layout on the console in front of him.  He’d even delved into the operation manual of the ship’s helm system the day before.

Yet there he sat, looking at the controls, overwhelmed.  With all of the preparation, he felt he shouldn’t have been.

oO Lucky it’s a holodeck. Oo

Suddenly the paused program resumed.  The ship was floating in space, stars slowly moving on the viewscreen.

Thukaa: Helm, lay in a course for the Modean system.

Ukinix: Aye sir.

Thukaa: And you shall call me ma’am.

Wil turned around in his seat to look at his Andorian female fellow cadet who was sitting in the Captain’s chair.  He could feel that she knew he was looking at her.  But she intentionally disregarded him and tapped away on the console on the captain’s chair, a look of authority on her face.  With raised eyebrows, he turned back around to look at his console.

Ukinix: ::Cheekily:: Whatever you say, Cadet Ma’am.

Wil switched screens and brought up the long-range map.  He scrolled around it, looking for the requested system.  Eventually he found it.  Once selected, he then flicked back to the previous screen’s controls.  After fumbling around pressing the wrong buttons, several small warning messages appeared.

Thukaa: Engage

Flustered, Wil’s fingers hovered over the screen as he tried to remember the correct sequence to go to warp.  He pressed a few times, but the console simply yelled at him.

Thukaa: I said “engage”, Ukinix.

Ukinix: I heard you.  Wait – I’m just going to…

He pressed the console a few more times.  The screen gave audible error tones.  Wil raised his palms in confusion.

Ukinix: Wait, what did I doing wrong?

Thukaa: ::Under her breath:: You joined Starfleet.

((End Flashback))

((Flashback – Shuttlebay, Amity Outpost – Stardate 239904.28, 0607 hours))

The doors to the shuttle raised shut to a close.  Wil rubbed his hands together, excited at the prospect of piloting the shuttle.  Not known for his helm prowess, he had been secretly practising in the holodeck.  He (in his mind at least) had seen some improvement…

Ops: =/\= Daintree, you are authorized for departure.  Safe journey, Commander. =/\=

He blew on the tops of his fingers, then placed his hands on the helm controls.  The engines began to whir, the shuttle lifted and then floated towards one of the large exits.  Well, sort of.  It was more towards the wall *next* to the exit.

Wong: Are you sure everything is good, Commander?

Kivik: ::Sweating a little:: Is there uhh… something wrong with the controls, sir?

Wil sensed concern in Tri’lea, but ignored it.

Ukinix: Nah, nah, all good.

The shuttle banked furiously right to align itself with the opening.  It accelerated forward to leave the bay with *plenty* of metres to spare on the port side.

…and only 1.5 metres on the starboard side.

Ukinix: See?  ::Small swallow::  No wukkas.

Tri’lea: Well, how *thrilling*. ::Smirking:: If we weren’t awake before, I’m sure we all are now!

((End Flashback))

When at their closest points, there were eighty-three million kilometres between the Sol system planets Earth and Venus.  If a shuttle was perfectly lined up by an officer to fly in a dead straight line directly in the middle of the space between two planets at the forty-one and a half million kilometre point, and then Wil Ukinix was beamed aboard that shuttle and told to continue that journey in a straight line, he would still find some way to somehow accidently crash the shuttle into the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Ukinix: - I was always a better engineer than helm.  And I wouldn’t actually bet latinum.

Wil was not a serious gambler, especially not with currency like Latinum.  With replicators, friends and colleagues, his childhood dream career, and a loving family, he had all he needed.  But he didn’t mind a fun punt every now and then.

As they kept walking, a smile formed on Wil’s face.

Ukinix: But I have an idea.  Let’s go reserve you that apartment for you if you like it, then after that you can meet me in Ops at zero-seven hundred tomorrow.

((Ops, the next day, 0703))

The night before, Wil had sent out an invitation for fellow crew members to join him in Ops, to see Amity’s newest engineering officer being put to the test.

Now he stood in Ops, hot chocolate in hand, in front of the holographic display that hovered in the centre of Amity’s control room.  Wil changed the holographic skeletal diagnostic display of Amity to a portion of the route that had been used for the recent Antarian class rally.

Ukinix: This section of the rally course became lovingly known as “the winder” by the race participants.  Two-hundred and thirty million kilometres of winding twists and turns, it was a tricky and technical section of the course that was affected by the gases of the solar nebula.  Very narrow, not much room to move.

Richards: Response

Any: Response

Ukinix: Those rally ships are deuterium enriched, custom modified, highly manoeuvrable, energy chewing beasts. The fastest ship did it in ::tapping console to update holographic display:: four minutes and thirty seven point three seconds.

Richards: Response

Any: Response

Ukinix: You’re going to take the Everest and run it through this section of the course.  ::Smiling wickedly:: You have to come in at under five and a half minutes.  No mods to the shuttle allowed.  No leaving the course, not even by a millimetre.

Richards: Response

Any: Response

Tags/TBC

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix