JP - Lt. Talos Dakora, Lt. Robin Hopper, & Lohani Vananth-Polgonz: Revelations (Part 3)

Robin Hopper

Apr 21, 2023, 10:23:14 AM4/21/23

((Afternoon, The Next Day – Conference Room, FDC Offices, Amity Outpost))

Talos sat in the waiting area tapping his foot impatiently.

The meeting he was waiting for was technically the reason he’d come to Amity Outpost, but after last night it seemed unlikely it would manage to be the highlight of the trip.

This morning he’d woke up in the bed of someone he barely knew, which if he was being honest, wasn’t all that strange of an occurrence for him. Talos was no stranger to slinking back home in yesterday's clothes with a hangover and a smile on his face, but this time had been a bit different.

Robin was gone. To work, he assumed. Or maybe she just wanted to avoid the inherent awkwardness that came with the departure of a single-serving lover. He’d been there. What was strange for Talos, as he had tried to remember exactly where all of his clothes had been discarded, was that he felt a just a little disappointed that she was gone.

Before he could reflect on that much further, a Secretary appeared and gestured him forward. Quickly, Talos rose and brushed a stray piece of fuzz off of his all-black uniform and followed the secretary to the conference room door.

As he entered the room, he sensed a confident energy radiating from the woman sitting at the far end of the grey conference table filling the center of the room – undoubtedly, the woman who had asked him to travel all this way in the first place. Lohani sat back in her chair, her arms crossed and an eyebrow raised as she took him in.

Lohani: ~~ Late night? ~~

Dakora: ~~ A little. ~~ ::He smirked:: ~~I was hoping I’d get away with it.~~

It had been some time since he’d had a fully telepathic conversation with someone, much less someone with the power and confidence of a Betazoid noble. Talos felt a pang of embarrassment in having to take a moment to adjust to his own native method of communication.

Lohani: ::Wry smile::  ~~ I’m a Daughter of the House of Heart and Life… If you think I can’t sense the lingering effects that a night of wild indulgence leaves on the mind, or the body, then you clearly haven’t been doing your research. ~~  ::Looking at one of two empty seats::  Sit.

He complied, tugging his uniform jacket straight once he was settled onto the chair. Unsure how he felt about this meeting or the motivations behind it all, he tried not to let it color his thoughts. She’d switched to verbal communication and he tried not to worry that she’d noticed his reservations.

Dakora: Of course. ::He cleared his throat.:: I didn’t mean to imply anything to the contrary, Daughter…

He trailed off realizing she hadn’t revealed her name and he certainly didn’t stay up to date enough with current Betazed political or gossip nets to recognize her face.

Lohani: Lohani will do, for now. It is, certainly, a pleasure to make your acquaintance at last, Talos… ~~ And I thank you for coming to meet me all the way out here, where my work demands it. Are you aware of the joint effort we’re making to establish a proper colony here in the Delta Quadrant? ~~

Dakora: ::He nodded.:: ~~I’m aware of the colonization effort in the Delta Quadrant, yes. But not much more than that, I’m afraid. There are a few of the Noble Houses making claims out here, as I understand it?~~

Lohani: ~~ You understand correctly. The Second House of Betazed – and the Twentieth House as well. The government – ::sarcastically:: in its infinite wisdom – has decided that our three Houses should work together, in order to ‘consolidate’ Betazed’s efforts in the quadrant… ~~

Talos could only imagine the political drama that had unfolded and would continue to develop as the three groups continued their work. It was the kind of harmless melodrama that still somehow managed to find its way into Intel reports that he struggled to read without falling asleep.

Dakora: ~~ I see. ~~ ::He cocked his head.:: ~~ I appreciate the refresher. ~~

He didn’t say it, but he made the mistake of wondering what all of that had to do with him.

Lohani: ~~ What do you know about the Sixth House of Betazed? ~~

Talos thought back, way back, to when he was a kid learning about the Twenty Houses in school. The truth was, Talos felt rather unmoored from Betazoid culture. After his mother had died, he’d distanced himself from his own heritage. Things that reminded him of Betazed, reminded him of her and that was painful to the point of not being worth it.

Avoiding it had become a habit and before he knew it, it had been over a decade since he’d last been to Betazed.

–In the current timeline, at least.--

He shrugged, daring to meet Lohani’s gaze.

Dakora: ~~Honestly, just what they taught us in school. Descendants of Karawati, they focus on enriching the enjoyment of life…~~ ::He shifted in his seat, just a little nervously.:: ~~ More recently They’ve gotten into disseminating political gossip and light information brokering. That’s what the latest SFI reports say, at least. ~~

Lohani: ::Distastefully::  Well, that’s something… ~~ I’m sure you’re aware that the question has been raised as to whether or not you are, by right, a Son of the Sixth House of Betazed? ~~

Again, he nodded.

Dakora: That has been my understanding, yes. ::He grinned and shook his head.:: ~~ My Govanna intended to drag me through the Great Fire and back herself if I didn’t travel out here immediately and find out the truth. ~~

Lohani: ~~ What do you want the truth to be? ~~

Talos sat up straight and steepled his fingers on the table in front of him. It was a question that he’d been pondering himself in the intervening six weeks.

Dakora: ~~ Being honest with you, Lohani? I’m not even sure what it would mean for me if it was true? ~~ ::He sighed, switching to his voice..:: I don’t know if my lifestyle, my line of work… are they even compatible?

This time, she joined him in speaking aloud.

Lohani:  ::Small shrug::  You’re as free as any other citizen of the Mother World. There are those who embrace their inherited duty to our people and there are those who turn a blind eye… If I determine that you are to inherit the title, it would be your choice to accept or refuse it.

She leaned in again, reverting to telepathy so that the weight of what she was saying could be communicated.

Lohani: ~~ But understand that by denying your birthright, you’d be giving up more than your own noble heritage. Tenuous as it is, Matriarch Tiannadon has determined that, if you declined, you would not be permitted to pass along the title to any other relatives, including your progeny… if you should ever have any. ~~  ::Smirk::  You’ll be making the decision for any future little “Dakora’s” as well.

He shifted in his chair again.

Dakora: ~~ I haven’t been back to Betazed since I was a teenager– Since I enlisted over a decade ago. To say I am out of touch with my own heritage is an exercise in understatement. ~~

Finally, Lohani shifted entirely to verbal communication.

Lohani: Well, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. For the moment, all of this is hypothetical. The record that was recovered is, at best, incomplete. We’re going to need more concrete evidence linking you to the Sixth House than some tattered papers recovered from the ashes of a Dominion labour camp… Which is why I’ve asked you here in person.

Dakora: Right. Of course. ::He quirked an eyebrow.:: What kind of evidence would be sufficient?

Lohani: If your connection to the House is legitimate, you and I should share a higher-than-average percentage of genetic similarity…  ::Waving a hand dismissively::  I won’t pretend to be an expert in such matters. Which is why I’ve enlisted some help from the ‘local authorities.’

Once again Talos nodded in agreement. It all sounded simple enough.

Dakora: Great. ::He fixed Lohani with cordial smile.:: I’m sure it’ll be no problem for-

As if on cue, the door to the conference room slid open with a gentle whoosh and a blue-clad Science Officer entered the room. As she entered, with a broad smile on her face, she gave a quick wave to the room.

His smile hadn’t yet faded as he turned to greet their guest, but when his eyes settled on the person who had entered the room his mouth fell open involuntarily.

Hopper: Hiya! I’m not late, am–   ::pausing::

As Robin’s eyes met Talos’, the colour drained from her face. Her gaze shot from his face, to his black uniform, back to his face, and then to his pips, before finally settling on Lohani… She did her best to remain composed, despite her evident shock, covering her mouth with her hand and clearing her throat.

Hopper: I’m… Sorry.  ::Ahem::  Just a little, um, startled.

Her gaze flitted back and forth between them again. She couldn’t help it. Though she tried to remain present, there was no stopping her mind from racing through the events of the last twelve hours. Meeting him at the bar, admiring his shirt, taking off her dress, the feeling of dangerous ecstasy she’d felt when he— she shook her head and pinched her own arm, trying to think of anything else. But it only got worse. oO He’s an Intelligence Officer? Did he know all along? I showed him my tattoo… Is his name even really Talos? Oo

A small whimpering gasp escaped her lips.

Lohani: Oh…  ::Smirk::  Well, I sense that introductions may not be necessary…   ::To Talos::  I take it you’ve met Amity’s Chief Science Officer, Lieutenant Hopper?

Lieutenant Robin Hopper, as he now knew her to be, had just provided a convenient summary of the events of last night to any telepaths present in the room. To say that he was surprised and confused by her sudden appearance was putting it lightly. If it wasn’t for Robin’s seemingly genuine reaction he might’ve wondered if their chance meeting had been engineered by the clearly amused Betazoid Noble across the table.

Dakora: I…You? Um, Hello?

It came out sounding more like a question than he might’ve wanted.

Lohani: ::To Hopper::  And you seem intimately familiar with Lieutenant Dakora, Chief Intelligence Officer on the… which ship was it again, now?

He’d been slightly uncomfortable during his conversation with Lohani so far, now his unease had managed to get markedly worse.

Dakora: Ahem. ::He sat a little straighter.:: The Artemis. ::Beat:: Out of the Borderlands.

Robin’s face had begun to turn a bright shade of pink. Artemis? That was Commander MacKenzie’s vessel – and the Borderlands? It was all a little too close to home for her comfort…

Hopper: No. No… I am not familiar with all that…  ::Looking at him::  Lieutenant Talos Dakora, is it?

He studied her face as she spoke. Diplomatically, he decided to neither confirm nor deny his familiarity with Amity's Chief of Science.

Dakora: That’s right.

She pursed her lips and rested her hands on her hips. Her initial confusion and embarrassment was beginning to shift into frustration and betrayal.

Hopper: Alright… Well, it’s nice to get acquainted. Properly…  ::Nodding to Lohani::  Lieutenant Robin Hopper. I’m the Chief Science Officer here… Like she said.

The accusatory feelings rolled off her and struck him like a slap in the face. He knew Lohani would see right through all of this, but in a show of solidarity with Robin he kept his answers non-committal.

Dakora: Nice to make your acquaintance as well, Lieutenant Hopper. ::He let his words hang for just a moment.:: Properly.

Lohani interjected, clearly amused by the situation unfolding in front of her.

Lohani: I don’t think there’s a need for any artifice between the three of us. Though I’ll admit, I’m very pleasantly surprised…  I love a good revelation... And it will certainly save us from the inevitable idle chit-chat of mere acquaintance.

She stood and made her way to the replicator module in the wall.

Lohani: I’ve still called you both here on business and, seeing as you are both Starfleet Officers, I expect that you can find it within yourselves to remain professional?  ::By the replicator::  Water, anyone?  ::Chuckling::  Or perhaps something a little stronger?

Talos blew out a slow breath. He’d had an unbelievably good time with Robin the previous night. Their chemistry had been amazing and they’d proven to be compatible in a number of different ways.

Dakora: Um, Jestral Tea please. ::Beat.:: For no particular reason.

His eyes found Robin’s and he tried to think about anything other than what they’d been up to just a few short hours ago. He plastered an uncertain smile on his face and eyed her curiously, wondering how she wanted to play this.

Cautiously, he fired a test shot across her bow.

Dakora: I’m confident that we can keep things… above board. Do you agree, Lieutenant Hopper?

Hopper: ::Resigned sigh::  Yes… Yeah.

Robin slowly made her way to the empty seat across the table from Talos, resting her hands in her lap. While sex was nothing to be ashamed of, it wasn’t typically something that came up so viscerally at work. She felt exposed.

Hopper: I generally try to keep personal matters and professional ones separate.

Lohani brought Talos a cup of tea, setting it on the table in front of him and patting him on the shoulder.

Lohani: ::To Hopper::  Anything for you, Lieutenant?

Robin just shook her head. Her stomach felt twisted in knots and her throat felt tight. The last thing she wanted to do was eat or drink anything… Maybe the opposite. She glanced at Talos again. He did seem unsettled… He must not have known. He couldn’t have. And while she’d found Daughter Vananth-Polgonz to be irritatingly self-centered when they’d first met months earlier, she’d never done anything outright manipulative.

Lohani: ::Taking her seat again::  Suit yourself.

As the shock of Robin’s unexpected arrival began to ebb, just a little, the reality of why he was here was able to work its way back into focus, even if it felt like it had become a secondary issue.

Dakora: So, where do we go from here?

He realized after he had said it that the question could easily apply to either of his companions, but they hadn’t yet invented a way to unsay things once they were said.

Lohani: Well, since it seems like we’ve all decided to be adults about your little tryst, I think the next order of business is to discuss the steps necessary to establish Lieutenant Dakora’s relation to the Sixth House of Betazed… Though, given what I’ve seen, he may be a better fit for the Ninth House.

Lohani chuckled to herself. Robin squinted, the joke evidently being lost on her. She looked to Talos, instinctively, to see if he’d understood it, before quickly looking away again. Every time she looked at his face it conjured a new memory – and she was trying as hard as she could not to give Vananth-Polgonz any more ‘material’ for her amusement.

Dakora: Uh-huh. ::He nodded.:: And what steps might those be?

He lifted his glass of tea and took a sip, more to hide his own discomfort than because he was thirsty. Talos had been turning the question of his potentially noble heritage over in his mind since he’d first heard about it. Truth be told, he still wasn’t sure which outcome he preferred.

Lohani: ::Getting serious, once more::  We need to confirm his genetic relation to me.  ::Glancing to Hopper::  With your assistance.

He followed Lohani’s eyes to Robin. Having had a moment to come to terms with her seemingly coincidental reasons for being here, Talos couldn’t deny that he was a little happy to see her despite the awkward circumstances. She seemed to balk at the idea and he couldn’t really blame her.

Dakora: Assuming of course, that you’re comfortable with that…

Hopper: Isn’t this an internal Betazoid matter? Couldn’t someone from the Second House perform the necessary tests? My understanding is they have considerable scientific–

Lohani waved a hand to cut Robin off.

Lohani: You may not be familiar with Betazoid House Politics, my dear, but I’m sure even you understand why it may not be in the Sixth House’s best interests to trust something this sensitive to a team of scientists that report directly to Mavenni Siyel… No, I’ve already completed the necessary clearances to have this testing performed discreetly by Starfleet.

Hopper: In that case, I’ll find someone from the biology division–

Lohani: ::Shaking her head::  No. During our time stranded on Idrustix, pursued by those murderous drones, I paid careful attention to the performance of the Starfleet Officers tasked with our protection. As I mentioned, this matter is sensitive – ::slightly begrudging tone:: it’s not every day that one of the Houses “misplaces” an entire branch of its family tree… – and I want someone that I know I can trust working on it. I don’t think I’m mistaken in presuming you are capable of performing this task?

Robin sighed, feeling somewhat defeated.

Hopper: Yes, I can do it… It should be relatively quick and we can.. ::resisting the urge to look at Talos again:: ..all move on from this.

For the umpteenth time this afternoon, he nodded. Though, truth be told, he wasn’t entirely sure he wanted to move on from this. Somehow, everything he’d learned about Robin thus far had only furthered his interest in her, which was unusual for him, to say the least.

He, of course, didn’t say anything that would betray that.

Dakora: Right. For sure. ::He smiled uncertainly.:: Just this one thing and you can be done with me.

That did catch Robin’s gaze, as she turned to Talos with a slightly-irritated look. Until that moment, she’d figured he was as eager to move on from the weirdness as she was… Was he not?

Lohani: I’d like for this analysis to be quite thorough. It’s important that his induction into the House – or, The Four forbid – his rejection… is indisputable. Matriarch Tiannadon and I have no intention of fighting this in the courts when Talos Dakora Junior comes haranguing us for his birthright… I’m willing to subject myself to whatever testing is necessary.  ::To Dakora::  Talos?

Still gazing somewhat absent-mindedly in Robin’s direction, he realized that Lohani had said his name and tried to force his mind back to the matter at hand.

Dakora: Yes. Of course. Whatever makes this easier for everyone.

Hopper scrunched her lips to the side, then tightened her jaw as she considered the situation. While she still felt uncomfortable with the overlapping ‘situation’, she couldn’t help but find herself interested as well. In part, this was her natural curiosity – the desire to find an answer to any problem put before her. But there was also part of her that wanted to know if the man she’d spent the previous night with was also an unwitting member of the Betazoid nobility. She knew it shouldn’t matter – yet it felt like it did.

She answered straightforwardly.

Hopper: We might as well start with a baseline genetic sequencing to determine if the two of you even share a statistically-significant portion of your DNA. We’ll need to take some material samples.

The corner of his mouth threatened to curl slightly into a lopsided grin, but he managed to keep it under control as he asked the question.

Dakora: What kind of samples will you need?

Hopper: ::Matter-of-factly::  Saliva is the least-invasive option. It’s a good place to start.

Lohani: ::Smirking::  Are you certain you haven’t already collected sufficient ‘sample material’ from Talos?

Robin shot Lohani a death glare that caught the noble by surprise.

Lohani: ::On her back foot for once::  I… apologise. That was uncouth.

Talos willed his expression not to change in response to Lohani’s jab and was mostly successful.

In an effort to defuse the situation, he tried to fill the dead air.

Dakora: Ok then. ::To Robin.:: When can we do it?

For a split-second, his eyes went just a little wide and he quickly tacked on another phrase.

Dakora: The test. When can we test?

Hopper: Well… I don’t see any reason not to get started right away.  oO The sooner the better… Oo  In order to avoid the possibility of contaminating the results, I think we ought to test you individually, one after the other.

Lohani: In that case, perhaps I should volunteer to go first.  ::A rare sympathetic glance at Dakora and Hopper::  Give you two a chance to ‘clear your heads’.

He nodded gratefully.

Dakora: That would probably be for the best…

As they worked out the final details of the testing, Talos wondered if this would be the last surprise that this trip would have in store for him…

TBC in part 4/6…

Lt. Talos Dakora

Chief Intelligence Officer

USS Artemis-A