Lt. Robin Hopper: Doctor, Save Me

Robin Hopper

Apr 6, 2023, 6:11:33 PM4/6/23
to Amity Outpost (IC)

((Hopper’s Office – Level 12, Science & Research Center, Amity Outpost))

Ygrix: So you see, Lieutenant, why it has become quite challenging to complete any of the extremely complex and demanding work which I have been tasked with, given the recent influx of impertinent and jocular Ensigns in the computer science division…

The Edosian crewman glowered down at Robin, having refused all her offers of hospitality – a seat? a drink? a snack? – his leftmost and rightmost arms bent as he rested his fists on his tripod hips. His center arm leaned forward onto her desk.

Hopper: If I understand correctly, you’re finding the livelier atmosphere disruptive to your workflow?

Ygrix: ::Frustrated::  Lively?! That’s one word for it. Another word might be disruptive. Chaotic. Inefficient. Claustrophobic–

Robin leaned back in her chair, folding her hands together and resting them on her lap.

Hopper: ::Cutting him off::  I think I get the point, Crewman. I’ll have a word with the other members in your department, and ask them to maintain a respectful atmosphere… But I’d also ask that you consider some of us need a bit of levity in our workdays to prevent burnout. Perhaps a compromise can be found?

Ygrix: I’ve already suggested–

Hopper: ::Cutting him off again::  A compromise that does not involve me dedicating the entire lab to a single technician for a ten hour work period…  ::Pursing her lips::  Furahl…

Ygrix: I’d prefer “Crewman Ygrix.”

Hopper: Of course. Crewman Ygrix, I think you do excellent work – and I don’t want to see that suffer as a result of a work environment that isn’t suitable for you…  ::Leaning forward, tapping her fingers on her desk::  What would you say to, on a trial basis, having some equipment installed by Ops that would allow you to remotely access some of the SRC’s systems from your quarters… and changing some of your duty shifts to a ‘work from home’ arrangement?

For the first time since she had come aboard Amity, Robin saw the dour Edosians face display an emotion other than displeasure. He raised his hand from her desk and rested it on his angular jaw.

Ygrix: That…  ::Thinking::  That may be sufficient.

Hopper: Great. I’ll have a word with Ops when I get a chance, and I’ll keep you updated… In the meantime, please try to play nice with the other members of your department.

His scowl returned.

Ygrix: I will attempt to tolerate their behaviour… for now.

Hopper: That’s all I ask.

The Edosian man nodded, then stiffly proceeded out through the sliding doors and out of Robin’s hair – for the time being. She sat back in her chair and let out a long sigh of mixed frustration and relief, then quickly grabbed a PADD from her desk to send a couple of messages – one to Scotty, asking if such a thing were possible, and one to Cassian, to confirm that they could maintain security under this potential arrangement.

As she finished her messages, a notification alerted her that she had not yet replied to that message… The one from her sister. She needed to reply to it. She wanted to reply to it. Hell, it had been her decision to reach out to Keri in the first place. But something was blocking her from sending anything back. It felt too soon. In fact, her stomach felt tied in knots at the thought of it. Feeling a need to take action, and not knowing what else to do, she tapped her combadge.

Hopper: =/\= Hopper to Wong… Ikaia, you there? =/\=

Wong: =/\= Response =/\=

Hopper: =/\= I, uh, was feeling a bit queasy just now… Well, I don’t think it’s anything serious, actually… But, um, I figured maybe I should stop by? Just, you know, to be sure? =/\=

Wong: =/\= Response =/\=

It was hard to believe it had been nearly a year since her last proper appointment with Ikaia, when she’d first come aboard the station.

Hopper: =/\= Thanks… I’ll be right there. =/\=

((Fifteen Minutes Later – Bashir Wing, Medical Center))

Robin followed Ikaia into one of the many examination rooms that filled the Bashir Wing. Honestly, the walk and train ride down to the Medical Center had been more than sufficient to clear her mind and unknot her stomach – but by then she’d figured what harm was there in completing the trip and getting her next medical check up out of the way anyways… not to mention wanting to avoid wasting Ikaia’s valuable time.

Hopper: Thanks for seeing me on short notice…  ::Looking around::  Ah yes, I remember it like it was yesterday… Do I still need to fill out the forms or is that just ‘intake’?

Wong: Response

Hopper: Well, I can assure you that not much has changed.  ::Clearing her throat::  I may have started drinking a bit more synthehol than before… but you know, holidays and whatnot… And, of course there’s so much choice here.

Wong: Response

Hopper: If I recall, you were in favour of that pub crawl we did, Mr. CMO. Anyways, I’m feeling right as rain most days. But, I figured what was the harm in a routine check up, right?  ::Pointing at the biobed::  Want me to sit?

Wong: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)