Lt. Robin Hopper: The Hornets’ Nest (Part 1)

Robin Hopper

Mar 20, 2023, 3:33:26 PM3/20/23
to Amity Outpost (IC)

((OOC – Thanks everyone for bearing with me during the past week. Things are now ‘back to normal’ and, while I may be bit slower due to ‘playing catch up’ IRL, I should be able to sim a bit more reliably now.))

((OOC 2 – This turned out to be a mighty long one, so I’ve split it into two parts. Hopefully that’s more digestible!))

((Bridge, USS Jemison))

Robin’s enthusiasm over the knockout blow delivered to the Kitty Hawk by the Halsey was short-lived. While they may have succeeded in taking down the Red Team’s flagship, they had done so at significant cost to their own fleet’s “health”. Despite everyone’s best efforts, numerous systems were now displaying ‘in the red’ on her console…

Richards: I have my teams spread as thin as I can get them. It will take them some time to get repairs going. With permission, I would like to head down and assist in the repairs. Make things go a bit faster.

Nathan practically read her mind. The Jemison’s partial crew were working as hard and as quick as they could – but most of them had never experienced anything like this outside of a drill. Having experienced personnel to guide them could make the difference between them staying in the fight or getting knocked out as well.

Nadeshiko: Response?

Ukinix: Alright.  But make it quick.  I need you back up here mate, pronto.

Shortly after her arrival at Amity, Hopper had begun reading through the mission report summaries filed since the station first launched in the Delta Quadrant, approximately eight months earlier. One in particular stuck out in her memory – the recent miring of the Independence in the ‘gravity well’... The ship had taken extensive damage and come back from the brink, and among those working on the repairs was–

Hopper: Crewman Barberra, Mr. Richards is going to need help with those repairs. I seem to recall you having some Engineering prowess…

Barberra: Yes ma’am.  Although, out of all of the disciplines it’s probably my weakest-

Hopper: No time for modesty. Assist Lt. Richards – Mr. Flint can handle tactical, and Sh’Jinn can take the helm.

Flint: Aye, ma’am… If you’re sure.

Flint looked over his shoulder at her, and Hopper found it hard to tell if he was more surprised or irritated by her pronouncement… Perhaps she was getting overzealous. Her eyes shifted to Wil, and found him looking similarly perplexed, his lips pursed.  oO Shoot. Oo

Richards: Any extra hands on repairs will be…appreciated

Hopper: ::To Ukinix:: That is, assuming you approve, Commander?

Ukinix: Given the circumstances, yes.  I don’t like breaking up a team during a crisis if you can afford it, unless you really have to.  ::Turning in chair:: Go on you two, be as quick as you can.

Nathan stood up and gestured for Annamae to follow him. Robin felt the tightness in her chest relax a little. She recalled Ukinix’s words from several days earlier – his reasons for choosing her as his first officer for the duration of the simulation…

((Flashback))

Ukinix: When they asked me for what type of officer I wanted for XO, I asked for someone intelligent, who had natural leadership abilities, a good science brain and was named “Robin Hopper”, so I’m pretty sure that’s how you got the gig.

((End Flashback))

She’d never really considered herself as someone with “natural leadership abilities.” While she’d always aspired to one day sitting in the Captain’s seat of a starship sailing off into the unknown, it had always felt like a remote fantasy. Now, glancing at it, that center seat seemed awfully close for comfort. The truth was, while she was excited about the chance to serve as the XO – it intimidated her. She was, after all, Chief Nerd – not a Commander. The thought of making a questionable decision in front of him now felt heavy on her shoulders, perhaps beyond what was reasonable.

But those worries would have to wait for debriefing and, perhaps, a counseling session… Right now, the ship remained in imminent danger – and they had a battle to finish.

Richards: Come on, Crewman. We will start checking in with the other teams and see where we need to start.

Barberra: Aye, Commander.

As Barberra and Richards made for the Turbolift, Sh’Jinn took Flint’s seat as he moved to take Tactical. Robin shifted in her own seat and bit the inside of her cheek lightly, unintentionally giving herself a pensive expression.

They continued to ride the solar wind away from the action in order to undertake what repairs they could in the brief respite since the Kitty Hawk’s demise. Wil stood.

Ukinix: I’m quickly goin’ to the replicator.  Want something?

Nadeshiko: Response?

Uncharacteristically reserved, Robin ran her hands along the tops of her thighs, smoothing imaginary wrinkles in her uniform skirt, before answering.

Hopper: No thanks, Commander. I think I’ll keep an eye on things here.

TBC in Part 2…

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)
Chief Science Officer, Amity Outpost