[END ACT 1] Ensign S'Raga - An Unquiet Silence

S'Raga

Sep 26, 2022, 12:30:58 PM9/26/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Valley, Island Four, “Mid-Islands Region”))

S'Raga had never gone camping as it wasn't really a part of Caitian culture. Then again, their cities were integrated into the natural landscape, so there wasn't much of a need for camping. After seeing what a city on Earth looked like, where the infrastructure took over almost completely from the natural environment, he could see why Humans enjoyed it so much.
S'Raga stood near the waterfront as the sun was starting to set behind the horizon, casting a soft orange glow all around them. As he suspected, they were now able to see a faint colourful aurora dancing above their heads.

Ukinix: I’ll never tire of looking at a sunset over an ocean.

Lohani: I’ve always marveled at the beauty nature conjures for even the most far-flung worlds…

Lekasa: Response?

S'Raga: ::Looking out towards the sunset:: The first time I saw water stretch past the horizon was in San Francisco, and it almost gave me vertigo. Back on Cait, I was always surrounded by trees and mountains, and the only times I saw the horizon were when I was flying.

Pek’al had just finished setting up the last of the proximity detectors around the campsite.  The ground underfoot crunched beneath her as she walked over to join the others.

Hopper: Nice work, Lieutenant..  ::nudging S’Raga::  ..Ensign. Now, we get a little time to sit back and enjoy the payoff.

It hadn't occurred to S'Raga until Lieutenant Hopper's mention of downtime that he'd be spending the evening with his superior officers and Betazoid nobility. Would they even want to talk to him, a lowly Ensign? He suddenly recalled being a teenager again, when his mother would host dinners for board members from the Arts Council. S'Raga and his sisters would eat silently as the adults droned on about art-related things, and they'd only speak when they were directly asked a question once in a while. S'Raga imagined he might face a similar scenario tonight and started to consider whether it'd be best if he spent the evening alone in his pod reading up on tetryons.

Grurg: It is a wonderful view.

Her face beamed as she looked out toward the ocean.

Once the planet’s sun finally disappeared, Wil moved towards the neatly stacked and organised provisions, then picked up a large box.  He placed it on the ground next to the campfire then opened it. Inside were sanitised metal sticks, and an unfeasibly large number of marshmallows.  With a smile he indicated to the others to help themselves.

He walked back towards the campfire and took a seat on one of the folding camp chairs, whilst putting a marshmallow on the stick he had picked.  He gestured for the Starfleet officers to take their own seats, allowing Lohani and Tani to make their own choice as to whether they joined them or not.

S'Raga couldn't help but be amused by the fact that camping had its own kind of food associated with it. He once heard one of his Human classmates talk about a special treat they would heat up over the campfire, although he couldn't remember what he had called it.
Intrigued, S'Raga took a stick and a "marsh-mellow" and sat next to the fire. The sugary treat had a very strange texture as he held it between his fingers, almost like it had a very fine powder on the outer surface.

S'Raga: Ok, well one of you will have to show me how to properly do this. How do you know when it's cooked?

Hopper: ::Smiling::  Just try not to burn it, Mr. S’Raga. They catch fire easily – and you can eat them uncooked, so you’re better off easing into it…

Lohani: ::Quelling her displeasure::  While I hesitate to bring up ‘business’ once again, Commander… What shall be the procedure now? How soon can we begin installing more…  ::looking about at the accommodation pods::  …permanent structures?

Lekasa: Response?

Ukinix(H): Alright.  Now that we have the camp site set up, we could be here for at least a few days yet.  At first light we’ll request some officers from the Kitty Hawk join us so we can survey further out and make sure this site is viable.

The XO put a marshmallow on his stick then put it over the campfire.

Ukinix(H): Lieutenant Grurg, what is your overall assessment.

Grurg: There is nothing natural in the fauna that we have assessed would cause an significant issue for the colonists.   I would recommend focus on external threats - a defence system for each colony site, along with vessel patrols in orbit.

Wil gave a nod, then turned to Hopper.

Ukinix(H): Lieutenant Hopper, what’s our science boffin’s summary of this site?

Hopper: It’s bumpin’, Commander. We’re in a tropical zone, so there’s no shortage of biological interest. We’ll want to run further tests on flora and fauna to make sure we’re not nestling down in forest that emits weird spores or hypnotizing lizards or something, but at a glance it seems fine.

Ukinix(H): S’Raga, communications?  Are we getting closer to establishing a crystal clear link with the Kitty Hawk?

S’Raga: ::Holding his stick much too high over the fire, doing absolutely nothing for the marshmallow:: We're just waiting for a report from the Kitty Hawk to confirm whether we're right about tetryon emissions causing signal interference. After that, we'll have a clearer path towards a more permanent solution. Until then, as long as we have a steady supply of com boosters, we shouldn't have a problem.

At that point, he felt something push his marshmallow stick downwards. He turned his head and saw that it was Hopper, who was looking at him and offered a playful wink. S'Raga looked towards his marshmallow, which was now a little closer to the fire and absorbing more of its heat. He was about to look back towards Hopper to respond with a friendly smile when the Commander started speaking to them, snapping S'Raga's attention back towards him.

Ukinix(H): ::To both Robin and S’Raga:: What about long term considerations for communications.  Subspace communications with Amity, for instance.

While S’Raga and Hopper spoke, Wil blew out his cooked marshmallow that was partially on fire, then blew on it to cool it down.

S'Raga: As far as we can tell, the only source of... ::Partially distracted by the Commander's flaming marshmallow::... interference is within the planet's atmosphere itself. Beyond that, a simple subspace relay will be more than enough to communicate reliably with Amity.

Hopper: Agreed. Once we learn more about this tetryon field from the Kitty Hawk, we’ll sort out how to break through those. We know they aren’t a permanent feature here, so as long as the comms infrastructure on the planet is developed enough, I don’t think they’ll pose a long-term problem.

Lohani: Yes, we’re prepared to invest heavily in communications arrays. It is of utmost importance that our colonists do not feel cut-off or forgotten here.

Lekasa: Response?

S'Raga felt a tap on his marshmallow stick. It was Hopper again. He hadn't noticed that his marshmallow had risen back upwards, no longer within effective cooking distance from the fire.

S'Raga lowered his stick by just a few centimeters. The marshmallow was getting only slightly warm.

He received a grin from the Lieutenant and he couldn't help but smile back. Behind him, his tail had taken the shape of a question mark, as it tends to do when he's blushing. He knew not many other species could recognize Caitians' tail language, but in the presence of telepaths, he figured he should probably shake himself out of it. He swished his tail a few times, and brought it to rest behind him in no particular shape.

S'Raga: ::To Robin:: Lieutenant, can I ask you a question?

Hopper: Of course! Oh, and no need for the rank when we’re off-duty…  ::Considering, she supposed they were still technically ‘on-duty’:: …or around a campfire.

S'Raga: I don't really have any experience with camping. Are we going to be telling ghost stories? I heard that's an integral part of the experience. What if I don't have any stories?

Hopper: ::Looking around the group, excitedly::  That’s a great idea!  ::Patting his arm, reassuringly::  Oh, I’m sure we can conjure up enough that you can just listen this time.  ::To Ukinix::  Any spooky stories from the Outback, Commander?

Ukinix(H): Um- well, I’m not from that part of my home continent, but let me think…

S'Raga was curious as to what story the Commander was thinking about as he began to smile to himself, and unlike Caitians, he did not have nearly enough fur on his face to hide his own blushing.

S'Raga's tricorder, which was sitting just outside his sleeping pod, still running atmospheric scans, began to beep frantically. S'Raga threw his stick and uncooked marshmallow to the ground and went to investigate the alarm. He could hear other tricorders throughout the campsite starting to beep in the same way. He held up his tricorder and looked over the read-outs on the screen. He was about to blurt out what he saw to the whole group, but when he remembered they had two civilians in their care, he thought better of it.

S'Raga: Commander Ukinix, can you please come here?

The Commander did so, picking up his own tricorder along the way.

Ukinix(H): ::To rest of group:: Back soon for that ghost story.

Hopper: Anyone else know any good campfire stories?

Lohani/Lekasa/Grurg: Responses

(Out of earshot of those around the campfire)

S'Raga: ::In a hushed tone, just for the Commander to hear:: Scans are picking alien lifeforms on the planet, and a ship of unknown origin in orbit.

Ukinix(H): ::Quietly:: What? What kind?

S'Raga: It's considerably smaller than the Kitty Hawk, but I can't tell from here what kind of offensive capabilities it has. It definitely doesn't match any known signatures from other species that we're aware of.

Ukinix(H): Okay.  Well, we haven’t heard from the Kitty Hawk yet.  Maybe it’s a first contact situation they’re going through.

S’Raga: What should we do about the aliens on the surface, sir?

Wil reached for his own tricorder and looked at the readouts.

Ukinix(H): It looks as though they beamed down nowhere near any of our colony sites.  We’ll just await direction from Captain Rahman-.

Lohani: ::Alarmed tone::  What’s all this about an unknown ship in orbit? Aliens on the planet? Is it the Hirogen?

S’Raga got a grimace from the Commander.

oO Ah, right! Just because we're out of earshot from a telepath doesn't mean we're out of... thought-shot? Oo

Ukinix: ::Quietly under his breath, audible only to S’Raga:: Busted.

The Commander pivoted on his foot to look back at the group.

Lekasa: Response?

Hopper: It couldn’t be. We’d identify a Hirogen vessel immediately – and besides, this world is not within their territory.

Lieutenant Grurg picked up her nearby tricorder, and tapped it a few times.

Grurg: It’s not Hirogen.  The Kitty Hawk is assessing.  If there are any threats, we will hear-

Lohani: I am not reassured. Who are these people and why are they here? It can’t be a coincidence. Are we in danger?

Ukinix(H): We don’t know, I know tensions are high after the Hirogen, but if the Kitty Hawk had detected Hirogen we’d be evacuating by now.

Pek’al nodded in agreement.

It occurred to S'Raga at that moment that with the mention of the Hirogen, they were referring to a particular incident on another planet, most likely the one that the Betazoid mediator had been involved in. He couldn't imagine she was having a good time right about now.

Lekasa: Response

Hopper: Looks like the Kitty Hawk is intercepting – some comms chatter between them. At least they don’t appear to be openly hostile.

Lohani: Or they are distracting our defenders while their ground teams approach.  ::To Grurg::  How secure is our perimeter, Lieutenant?

Grurg: I have placed proximity sensors around our camp, we will know if anyone approaches from within ten kilometres, including from above us.  Plus, the Kitty Hawk is in orbit, with a fleet of auxiliary craft at its disposal.

Without thinking, S'Raga vocalized what was implied by Grurg's last sentence.

S’Raga: So someone can come pick us up in a shuttle if transporters are blocked.

Lekasa: Responses

Hopper walked over to S’Raga and Ukinix.

Hopper: Are you seeing what I’m seeing? It looks like the alien biosigns are gone… Like they transported back to their vessel.  ::Confused look::  What are they up to?

S'Raga looked at his own tricorder. He saw the same readings. Whatever alien life was on the planet had disappeared.

Lohani: I think we should do the same. I would much prefer to be on the Kitty Hawk right now.

Ukinix(H): ::Tapping combadge:: =/\= Ukinix to Kitty Hawk. =/\=

A response from the ship came almost immediately.

Kurtz: =/\= ::Static:: ::Ksssh:: on orbi- ::Static:: :Kkkkhhhhhh:: =/\=

Ukinix(H): =/\= Say again, Kitty Hawk- =/\=

Kurtz: =/\= :::Kskkrkrkrksshkkrkkshshhhhhhhhhh:: -= =/\=

There was a brief moment of silence before the Commander began issuing orders, his voice projecting overtop all other ambient noises in the camp.

Ukinix(H): Ensign S’Raga, check the coms signal boosters.

S'Raga: Yessir!

S'Raga burst into a sprint towards the farthest comms booster at the edge of the clearing, closing the distance in just a few short seconds. It seemed to be functioning nominally, but he started power-cycling it just to be sure. Meanwhile, he kept one ear facing the direction of the rest of the group so that he could keep listening in.

Ukinix(H): Grurg, tell me anything.

Grurg: ::Looking at tricorder:: I’m detecting satellites of some sort being deployed in orbit of the planet.  That could explain the comms interference.

Ukinix(H): ::Hands on hips:: I’m assuming they’re not ours?

Hopper: Response

S'Raga finished power-cycling the first booster and ran towards the second one.

Ukinix(H): ::Tapping combadge:: =/\= Ukinix to Kitty Hawk, priority lock on to Vananth-Polgonz and Lekasa and transport, now. =/\=

No sparkles.  No response.  Nothing.

Ukinix(H): ::Tapping combadge again:: =/\= Ukinix to Captain Rahman. =/\=

There was another period of silence.

S'Raga started working on the second booster. It, too, was indicating nominal parameters.

Grurg: Commander, there are six satellites, generating a field that appears to be blanketing the entire planet.

Ukinix(H): ::To Hopper:: Lieutenant, see if you can contact the Twentieth House team.  S’Raga, adjust the comms boosters if you have to.  I’m going to contact the Second House team.

S'Raga: Aye, Commander!

The second booster finished power-cycling and S'Raga sifted through the settings to see if there was anything he could do to re-establish a signal. He might be able to increase its power output, but he should check on the third booster first, in case that one can offer more clues.

Hopper: Response

Lekasa/Lohani: Response

Ukinix(H): I’m just as in the dark as everyone else.

Lekasa/Lohani: Response

S'Raga was about to power-cycle the third booster, but stopped himself as he saw Commander Ukinix go for his combadge.

Ukinix(H): ::Tapping combadge:: =/\= Commander Wil Ukinix to… ::slight sigh:: Commander Acradem Ukinix. =/\=

Ukinix(B): =/\= Response =/\=

oO Okay, so at least we've got something... Oo
As S'Raga suspected, the third booster was also functioning nominally.
oO Probably no need to power-cycle this one, then. Should look into how I can increase their output. Oo

Ukinix(H): =/\= We’ve lost contact with the Kitty Hawk, and have detected alien satellites in orbit.  Do you still have a comms link? =/\=

Ukinix(B): =/\= Response =/\=

Ukinix(H): =/\= Then we’re a bit knackered, aren’t we. =/\=

Ukinix(B): =/\= Response ::garbled:: =/\=

The static slowly increased until “Acradem’s” voice was nothing but the sound of interference.

Ukinix(H): =/\= Commander Ukinix.  Commander Ukinix, do you read? =/\=

There was nothing but static through his combadge.  Wil turned to look at Robin with slightly bigger eyes than usual.

Ukinix(H): Lieutenant Grurg.  In the provisions, there is a cache of phasers, including a few phaser rifles.  As a precautionary method, arm *everyone*.

Pek’al nodded, and made her way over to the boxes.

S'Raga ran back to rejoin the group.

Ukinix(H): ::To Hopper and S’Raga:: We need those comms back with the other teams.

S'Raga: Aye Commander! ::To Hopper:: Lieutenant, the comms boosters are all working as they should, but I'm wondering if there's a way to increase the power output?

Hopper: Response

S'Raga grabbed a toolbox from the supply pile and started heading back towards the third booster. He looked back to see if Hopper was following behind him. As he did so, he caught a glimpse of the campfire, now with no one sitting beside it, the roasting sticks were strewn across the grass, and the marshmallow container had tipped over, its contents spilled on the ground.
Moments ago, he had his reservations about joining in with the rest of the group, thinking they probably wouldn't want to socialize with an Ensign, but his fellow officers had made him feel welcome, and he was just starting to look forward to exchanging stories and delving into the rest of the camping experience. On top of that, he also just realized that he never got to eat his first roasted marshmallow.

Lekasa/Lohani: Response

Wil looked up at the purple nebula and the Aurora above them.  More stars were starting to shine in the new night sky.

Ukinix(H): We need to work out what’s going on.  That’s our first priority.

Lekasa?/Lohani?: Responses?

[End Act 1]

Ensign S’Raga
HCO Officer