Ensign Harrison Kiani - Mask On/Off

Harrison Kiani

Sep 25, 2023, 12:31:17 AM9/25/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Situation Room, Copernicus Center, Level 6, Amity Outpost))

It was too bright here. And hot too, insanely hot. Half the ship seemed to have been packed into the Situation Room, and it did not help that there were floodlights pointed directly at them; boring into his skin like some monstrous man-eating insect. He was definitely looking more than a little disheveled. Harry’s perfectly un-creased ocean blue uniform was marred by a terribly conspicuous mustard stain (he did not actually know what caused the stain, but he wasn’t ready to entertain any other suggestions). There were bags under his eyes, making him look like he’d been involved in a brawl. And had lost. Twice he’d had to shout out “Should’ve seen the other guy!” on the way to the Copernicus Centre, to guard any semblance of dignity he had left.

He’d woken up at first light on the docks of the Peace Park, stark naked. Without any memory of the previous night; or the events of the last couple weeks. Attempting to recollect anything was like when you’re trying to find a word, and it's on the tip of your tongue. Not gaps in memory, but more like squatters in your home who won’t do you the common courtesy of introducing themselves. The last thing he remembered was, becoming friendly with a pack of Klingons passing through the station, and partaking in a glass (or two) of bloodwine. Things became hazy after that.

Suffice it to say, Harry wasn’t exactly in the greatest head-space during the briefing. Preferring to nurse his headache with a concoction of hot toddy (hot water, honey, lemon juice, tea leaves and cardamom) minus the usual addition of whiskey. It did not help to hear the word Paak repeated with varying intonations. His inner torment was only momentarily interrupted when the Ambassador spoke his name - sending a shiver across his spine, instantly fixing his slouch.

Vataix: Dr. Kiani, Petty Officer Gray, go ahead with Keehani, John, and Rune to begin working on how we're going to approach the Paak. I'll join you all shortly. Vaje, please attend to the other day-to-day matters on Amity while we're working on this situation and try to keep the press at bay for now.

Kiani: How to approach the Paak? ::scratching chin:: Yup, we’ll get right on it, Madam Ambassador. ::he nodded while trying his hardest to display a stern and thoughtful expression::

Gray: Response

Keehani: Understood, Ambassador.  ::Turning to Kiani, Gray, Rune and Carter with a warm smile:: Come!

Harry grumbled slightly as he made the difficult trek in lockstep with the Envoy.

((Meeting Room A, level 14, Copernicus Center))

Keehani: Commander Carter, I’d like to hear from you first.  What do you make of the detail we have received so far?  Can you ascertain anything about their culture based on the little we have seen?

Carter: They seem very xenophobic, and the inability for us to decipher their language makes meaningful contact difficult. It could be their language makes them that way, but we don't have enough to go on. The fact that they have their army on alert is problematic as well.

Keehani: If there is a communication barrier, and we are unable to resolve our technical deficiency or issues with the Universal Translator, how do we assure them that we are there to open a dialogue and form a relationship?

Carter: If we can't talk to them, perhaps we can find some sort of symbols that denote peace. Symbols that they can recognize as such. In many cultures, open arms signifies that they mean no harm. In other cultures, kneeling is the sign. If we can't figure out the language, look for the signs...

Jolara: Response

Keehani: Commander Jolara, do we have any intel on this species from anyone in the Delta Quadrant?

Jolara: Response

Keehani: Given that Robin and Wil have seemingly been captured, I share Ambassador Vataix’s concern about their wellbeing… ::chewing bottom lip for a moment: … What are your recommendations for finding a way treating them once we reach the Paak system?

Gray: Response

Harry had been attempting to focus this time. He poured himself a glass of water from a pitcher in the middle of the oblong table, as the Petty Officer gave the group his assessment.

Kiani: If the Paak are smart, they’ll attempt to learn everything that they can about Terran physiology and Starfleet in general. How invasive this process might be is anyone’s guess. Given their level of technology, we must prepare for any eventuality. I’d suggest expecting neurological damage from the use of a neuro-synaptic field, or cruder physical indicators including bruises or lacerations.

Harry was not particularly happy about suggesting that their comrades were being subjected to torture, but these contingencies need to be considered if they were to have any hope of treating Hopper and Wil, once they’re back safely on the Indy.

Keehani: If diplomacy should fail, which I hope doesn’t, but if it does – could you disguise yourselves or one of our crew as one of the Paak people, to then find a way to meet with Commanders Ukinix and Hopper?

Kiani: Well, cosmetic surgery is more art than science, and there’s precious little we know about the Paak beyond a few holo-images. ::there was a slight pause before Harry continued:: But, it can be done. It won’t be perfect, and I’ll need help, but I think I can come up with something serviceable.

Gray: Response

Carter: We need to take the Indy B or the Kitty Hawk close to the Paak system. Use our sensors to tap into their comm traffic, commercial and military. Find out what their capabilities are as much as we are able. We can't go in completely blind. That didn't work the first time...

Jolara: response

Keehani: response

Kiani: Regardless of how well of a disguise we come up with, it won’t do any good if the UT is unable to figure out the nuances of Paak speech. Hacking into their comms relay will give us access to a much larger data set.

Gray: Response

Carter: Recon is our friend here. It would serve two purposes. One, it gives us more to work with. Second, if we have to go in for a rescue, Iovianus and his team won't be going in blind.

Keehani: response

Kiani: While I agree with the Commander’s plan in principle. Being detected in Paak space could derail any diplomatic overtures, and put the lives of Commanders Ukinix and Hopper at risk.

Gray: Response

Jolara: response

Harry felt that splitting headache creep back on him, the adrenaline of the situation having passed somewhat. He tried his best to shake it off.

Keehani/Carter: Response

Kiani: However you decide to play this, I’d have to insist that there be medical personnel in any away team intent on infiltrating the Paak. Given the short notice, it is very likely that they will need to administer a high dosage of dermatiraelian plasticine and make field modifications to keep up the illusion if things were to go wrong.

Gray: Response

Kiani: If you’d like, I can make my recommendations known to CMO Wong, who’ll be able to brief you further.

Jolara: Response

Gray: Response

Kiani/Carter: Response

TBC/Tags