Lt. Robin Hopper: House of Cards

Robin Hopper

Jan 17, 2023, 10:16:27 PM1/17/23
to Amity Outpost

(( OOC – Moving this scene along per the 48/72 hr rule. As per the drill, I’m moving this one right ahead to wrap things up before the Mission. I’ve left it open for a few more tags at the end if anyone wants to add in their own little “last word”, but let’s not carry the conversation on any further than that! ;)  ))

((Iko and Paarus' apartment, Marrakech district, Amity Outpost))

Robin returned to her seat, happily sipping on her ‘Virgin Mary’ – the un-boozy version of the classic ‘Bloody Mary’. Inspired by Barberra’s tomato juice shenanigans, and wanting to keep her wits about her for the card game about to ensue, it was the perfect drink. She looked about, eager to get started.

Hopper: Come on, let’s play!

Richards: Let’s do it.

Barberra, who had darted to the replicator after Robin, sat back at the table.

Barberra: I, for one, think Wong’s suggestion is a good one and I would like to wear sunglasses.

Robin’s eyes went wide the dramatic reveal of the peacock sunglasses, complete with feathers – were it not for her mouthful of tomato juice, she might have even squealed with excitement. Instead, she just pointed excitedly and nodded.  oO Oh, she is the fun kind of weird! Oo  She gave Annamae a hearty thumbs up.

Barberra: ::To Wong:: Now I can keep my eyes on you.  All seven of them.

Robin chuckled, glancing at Ikaia and wondering what in the world he’d done to provoke such sass from the Crewman. She took another sip of her drink, smirking mischievously at the two. She could already tell this would be a fun evening, regardless of how the cards went.

Wong: Response

Bec placed the cards on the table.

Iko: Someone else can deal and set up.

Barberra: ::Reaching for cards:: Me-

Bec reached for Barberra's hand and squatted it away.

Iko: Not you.

Hopper: Here, let me.

Robin took the offered deck of cards and, in a series of swift and smooth motions, cut the deck and tossed the cards into each other, giving them an initial overhand shuffle. She cut once again then, using only her hands, riffled the two halves together before bridging them with a satisfying rustle.

Richards: Someone has had some practice?

Barberra: ::Resting chin on interlocked hands, slightly impressed tone:: Time in a gambling and/or penal colony you’d like to confess?

Robin flashed her eyes at Nathan with amusement – then to Annamae, with a slightly wicked smirk.

Wong: Response

Iko: Come on Robbie!

Hopper: ::Single shoulder-shrug:: The local bar, back home. I grew up surrounded by farmers and miners. You pick up a few things.

Bec tilted her head from side to side. She could see that.

Next, she dealt two cards to each player, face down, then looked at the two people to her left.

Hopper: Okay, small blind, big blind, you’re up. Let’s hear your bets… By the way, what are we betting with?

As they considered their options, Robin checked her own cards, her expression remaining chipper as always – though her hand was garbage. A Two of Hearts and a Nine of Clubs.

Richards: We could do what we used to do when I was younger. We could replicate some snack foods and divide them up. ::Shrugging:: Just a thought.

oO Awww… That’s cute. Wouldn’t fly on Risa, though. Oo

Barberra: How about… betting our upcoming medical and counseling check sessions.  I’ll bet one medical, and two counseling.

Iko: And, how does Wong feel about that?

Robin just peeked over her cards, watching the drama unfold.

Wong: Response

Iko: Let's do snacks.

Bec gestured to the ones already on the table.

Hopper: Alright, if that’s agreed, place your bets…

The first round of betting, before the Flop, went typically – with Annamae to the left of Robin making a small bet (as the Small Blind), Bec (as the Big Blind) raising it, and the rest of the group matching. A small collection of candy was now in the center of the table. When it came to be Robin’s turn, she decided to spice things up.

Hopper: Alright…  ::Wiggling her eyebrows::  I’ll raise.

She reached for a small pack of chocolate malt balls and placed them in the center. Whether or not this was ‘doubling’ was unclear – but it was more candy, and that is what really mattered.

((OOC – End Round 1 “Pre-Flop”, Begin Round 2))

Now it was time for the Flop. First, she removed the top card, ‘burning’ it by placing it face-down on the table to be discarded. Next, she revealed three cards, flipping them over and placing them down in the center of the table for everyone to see. The Ten of Hearts, the Queen of Spades, and the Eight of Hearts.

oO Nothing. Just like I suspected. Oo  She smiled at the others, enviously at her own reflection in Annamae’s sunglasses – which were seeming more and more like a brilliant idea.

Barberra: Call.

Iko: Call.

Wong: Response

Richards: ::Tossing in his bet:: I’ll Call.

Hopper: Call. ::Smiling around the table:: Okay, let’s see what we’re working with!

((OOC – End Round 2, Begin Round 3))

Now came the Turn – when the fourth Community card would be revealed… Robin burned the next card from the deck, discarding it again, and flipped over a… Queen of Clubs.

She didn’t like her odds – after all, both the queens were available to the entire table. She looked around suspiciously – if anyone was holding a pair of Queens in their hands right now, they’d be feeling mighty fine.

Barberra: I’ll bet… ::Tossing in three chocolate truffles:: One spleen surgery. ::Smirk::

oO Suspicious! Oo

Iko: ::Matching Barberra's bet:: Why?

Wong: Response

Richards: ::Tossing in another bet:: I’ll call.

Robin wasn’t about to let Barberra’s bet scare her.

Hopper: Okay, in keeping with our theme I will raise you… ::picking up a pack of sour Ferengi candies and placing them dramatically in the middle::  an appendectomy. Who needs it anyways?

Iko/Wong: Response

Hopper: Okay, then–  Hey!  ::Swatting Nathan with her free hand::  Where do you think you’re going?

Nathan stood, walking towards the replicator, and Robin dramatically clutched her cards to her chest, concealing them – regardless of the fact that he was not attempting to peek.

Richards: Anyone else need anything while I’m up?

Barberra: ::Pointing at Robin’s drink:: I’ll have what she’s having.

Iko: I'm all good.

Hopper: Who taught you table manners?  ::Pause::  I’ll take a pair of sunglasses after all.  ::A glance to Annamae::  Seems fun. Make mine dinosaur themed.

Wong: Response?

As Nathan returned to the table, he passed around the requested items. Robin donned her shades – pink lenses inside a pink-and-blue frame with a large triceratops-like frill that covered her forehead, but did nothing to actually hide her eyes. All the same, she was pleased, and winked at Annamae.

Hopper: ::To Nathan::  Thanks, by the way!  ::Finger guns::  Okay! Let’s play…

((OOC – End Round 3, Begin Round 4))

Robin burned another card and flipped over the River – the final Community card to be revealed. The Five of Diamonds

((OOC – Here’s everyone’s hand so far, in clockwise order around the table…))

Community Cards: [5♦] [8♥] [10♥] [Q♣] [Q♠]

Hopper (Dealer):  [2♥] [9♣]

Barberra (Small Blind):  [Q♥] [Q♦]  – confirmed with player

Iko (Big Blind):  [2♠] [6♣]

Wong: [ ? ] [ ? ]  – not yet established IC

Richards[3♠] [A♦]

((End OOC Note))

Iko: ::turning her cards over:: Fold.

Robin frowned at Bec for a moment, scrunching up her mouth. She had jumped the gun a bit – but, given that all that was on the line was some sugar from the replicator, she wasn’t about to flip the table over it.  oO This time! Oo

Barberra: ::Deadpan:: Matching your bet, and raising you six packs of marshmallows.

Iko: where the #$%@ are you gonna get six packs of marshmallows?

Barberra: I’ll replicate them.

Bec shrugged, sneaking a chocolate truffle from Barberra's pile.

Barberra: Response

Iko: You still have six packets of marshmallows to bet and/or eat.

Barberra: Response

Wong/Richards: Response

Iko: ::with a smirk:: Anyone else wanna join me in the land of the folded?

Wong/Barberra/Richards: Response

The final bet came to Robin who, considering the ferocity with which Annamae was playing, could be certain of one of two things – either the crewman had an exceptionally good hand or had a terrible hand and was relying on a bluff. She thought back to their time together in the holodeck, trying to ascertain what sort of poker player Annamae Barberra might be from her time in the captain’s chair.

Hopper: ::Sigh:: Fold. I… got nothing.  ::A smirk to Annamae::  You’re good at this.

((OOC – End of Round 4, time for the showdown where we find out who wins!))

Barberra/Wong/Richards/Iko: Response

As the final cards were revealed, and Robin’s suspicions were confirmed – Barberra did, in fact, have Four of a Kind – she leaned back in her chair and offered the winner a sincere golf clap before collecting up the loose cards and placing them back into a rough deck and placing them in front of Annamae.

Hopper: Beginner’s luck or are we, in fact, dealing with a professional here?

She placed her fingers on the back of her sunglasses arms and wiggled them, the frame bouncing up and down dramatically on her nose.

Barberra: Response

Hopper: Well, you’ll be dealing us in the next round. I’m curious to see if that good fortune holds. Now I am going to replicate some more treats… Anyone ever heard of cola bottle gummies? They’re the best!

Barberra/Wong/Richards/Iko: Response

As she ran to the replicator and back, bag of gummies in hand, she turned to the dealer.

Hopper: ::To Annamae::  Deal me in, Cap’n!

Barberra: Response

Wong/Richards/Iko: Response

Hopper: ::Looking at her cards::  Oh, I’ve gotta raise!

As the evening wound on, and the rules became less and less well enforced, Robin felt herself feeling properly at ease for the first time since New Years. Things were looking up for 2400 after all…

END Scene

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)
Chief Science Officer, Amity Outpost