Lt. Robin Hopper: Open The Floodgates

Robin Hopper

Apr 17, 2023, 9:35:08 PM4/17/23
to Amity Outpost (IC)

((Bashir Wing, Medical Center))

Robin followed Ikaia into the examination room, the knot her stomach had tied itself into at the thought of her sister coming to Amity already un-knotting itself on the train ride down. By the time she’d arrived, she’d figured what harm was there in completing the trip and getting her next medical check up out of the way anyways? Not to mention wanting to avoid wasting Ikaia’s valuable time.

Hopper: Thanks for seeing me on short notice…  ::Looking around::  Ah yes, I remember it like it was yesterday… Do I still need to fill out the forms or is that just ‘intake’?

Ikaia got out his PADD. He sat down on a nearby stool.

Wong: It’s just intake. ::Gesturing to his PADD:: I have your file right here. But anyways, how are you doing?

Robin ran her hands along her thighs as she considered her answer, gently tapping them as she responded.

Hopper: Well, I can assure you that not much has changed.  ::Clearing her throat::  I may have started drinking a bit more synthehol than before… but you know, holidays and whatnot… And, of course there’s so much choice here.

She shrugged. Ikaia, thankfully, chuckled.

Wong: Sure there is! We’re kind of spoiled here on Amity!

Hopper: If I recall, you were in favour of that pub crawl we did, Mr. CMO. Anyways, I’m feeling right as rain most days. But, I figured what was the harm in a routine check up, right?  ::Pointing at the biobed::  Want me to sit?

Wong: Ah yeah! That was actually my idea. What’s a little bonding time between friends?  ::Gesturing to the biobed::  By all means, take a seat! Make yourself comfortable.

Robin nodded, turned and hopped up onto the biobed, sitting sideways and watching as Ikaia pulled over his stool and fetched his tricorder. It was still kind of funny, seeing him actually out there in the world practicing medicine – after meeting him during their Academy days. They’d certainly both come a long way since then…

Hopper: Thanks, pal. I appreciate the last-minute appointment. I hope you weren’t busy or anything – I just needed a change of scenery, really.

The CMO flicked his tricorder open and started up his scans. Robin tried to remain sitting straight – not that it probably made any difference.

Wong: So okay, I’m just going to circle back to something you had said earlier - are you still feeling queasy?

Hopper: Ehhhh… Not really.  ::Blushing slightly::  We don’t really need to talk about it. I think I was just a little ‘put off’ by something I read and, well, I’d definitely had too much soda today…

Wong: Well, I wanted to check that out before we launch into the actual check up, Hops. Keep my bases covered, you know?

She wanted to lean her head back and groan. Yes, he was right. No, it wasn’t healthy that the thought of her little sister visiting her work for a few weeks made her want to burn the place to the ground… Instead of complaining, she just bit the inside of her cheek and answered plainly.

Hopper: I get it. You’re doing your job… and I did call you about it…

Wong: If you’re okay with it, let’s talk about it!

Hopper: ::Exasperated sigh::  Well, if you must know, what really set me off was this letter. I don’t know what got into me… I’d had a glass of wine and I was feeling sorry for myself, and I wrote my sister. You remember her, right?

Wong: Response

Hopper: That’s the one. Well, we hadn’t really spoken since graduation day. She really…  ::trying to remain composed and avoid swearing::  …messed the whole thing up for me. I’ve found it hard to move past. I mean, we’ve never gotten along great but this – it was a whole other level, Ikaia.

Wong: Response

Her deadpan response made it clear just how unamused she was by the memory.

Hopper: She dragged me to Italy and then shoved an ice cream cone in my face. She was a total @#$#&%…  ::Pause::  …Sorry.

She let out a long sigh to try to release the tension that was already bubbling inside her again.

Wong: Response

Hopper: Anyways, I wrote her and then she wrote me back and – ugh – there’s some FDC internship position available for her through University program that she asked me to recommend her for, and I would, it’s just… It’s here. On Amity. I don’t know if I’m ready for that.

Wong: Response

It struck her then why she had brought herself to Ikaia just then. Out of everyone on Amity, he was the person who’d known her the longest, the only one who really knew anything of her life prior to donning the blue uniform.

Hopper: I don’t need to talk to a counselor. I need to talk to a friend.

Wong: Response

TAG / TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)