Ambassador Rivi Vataix: Dare

Rivi Vataix

Dec 2, 2022, 10:47:14 AM12/2/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((Upper Gallery Shops, Grand Mezzanine, Amity Outpost))

Vataix: I should speak with my new deputy chief of mission about arranging for some more community events. At the very least, we have the end of year holiday season approaching fast. 2400 awaits!

Hopper: ::Chuckling::  Oh, don’t remind me. I’m convinced we’re getting a new uniform design rollout. I mean, it’s a new century!  ::Rolling her eyes at herself, with a smile::  I know they’d never do it, but I honestly wouldn’t hate it if we went back to the designs of the mid-23rd-century. There’s a reason they’re considered ‘classics.’

Rivi chuckled as they continued their walk down the line of shops, other station residents and visitors walking past them.

Vataix: Perhaps... one thing I know about fashion: trends are cyclical.

She wondered if that was why long-lived species like Vulcans seemed to have slower trend changes than species like humans and Betazoids, who eagerly took to updating design aesthetics year after year.

Hopper: But, yes I absolutely think we should do something to ring in the new year. Did you do anything last year? It would have been Amity’s first celebration, I’d imagine.

Vataix: Yes, there were several celebrations across the station... a more formal gathering at the Lighthouse Restaurant and even a pyjama party led by Bec! We played an old Earth game called "Truth or Dare."

((FLASHBACK: Grand Mezzanine, Amity Outpost - New Year's Eve 2398))

Iko: Someone asks you a question, and you have to answer it honestly, however ridiculous the question may be. I believe the ambassador can make sure of that ::mischievous smile:

Rivi smiled back.

Paarus: I know that smile, Bec. Let's go easy on Kivik and the Ambassador.

Kivik: Yes please!

But Rivi was still grinning at Bec. She had an idea now in the spirit of the poker game from earlier.

Vataix: Maybe to make it fair, I'll only tell you if someone is hiding something if you ask me to. And if you're wrong, and the other person was telling the truth, you have to drink! If they were lying, then they have to drink.

Iko: Alright, I'll ask first, what's the most embarrassing thing you've done on Amity.

Kivik: oO Okay, this is a question I can answer… Oo

Paarus: That's easy. The time I nearly had an anxiety attack outside Toliver's office in the Medical Center.

Kivik: Speaking of the Medical Center… Only days after arriving on Amity, I came down with a case of Levodian Flu. Apparently it affects J’naii differently than the average humanoid. ::Blushing:: I started babbling gibberish and, at one point, I even climbed Ikaia - Lieutenant Wong - like he was a tree!

All eyes turned to Rivi as she thought about the question.

Vataix: Well, it wasn't on Amity, so if this doesn't count, let me know, Bec. But--I once accidentally mistook a Starfleet chief engineer for a bellhop while visiting a starship.

She shook her head as she thought of the man with the red hair and helpful-looking face.

Vataix: He was most gracious about it, fortunately, after I'd already given him my luggage!

She chuckled before looking back at Iko.

Vataix: How about you, Bec?

Iko: I'd have to say last mission. Zal, your turn! Ask a question!

Paarus: ::considering it for a minute:: Ok, what is the most daring thing you have ever done?

Hmmm, Rivi honestly would have thought that joining the Diplomatic Corps and then taking on the invitation to become Ambassador aboard Amity Outpost was probably the most daring thing of her life. But then as she considered the question, another answer came to her.

Vataix: Deciding to have a child.

As the others looked back at her, she explained.

Vataix: Tidrid and I of course had already been arranged to be married long ago with the expectation that we would one day start a family of our own once we were ready. But there is a canyon of a difference between knowing or expecting something and actually going through with it.

She sat up a little more, suddenly feeling herself sober up a bit as she began thinking of how to express her sentiments.

Vataix: Motherhood on Betazed, and specifically pregnancy and childbirth, is such an intimate process--even beyond just the physical and emotional changes and experiences. As a telepathic species, we Betazoids are born with a connection to one another. We develop our sense and ability to hear each other through childhood, and as other people are born and die, we sense their arrival and departure like voices entering and leaving a stage. But when you become a mother on Betazed, the first time you sense your child's thoughts in the womb--the first time you hear their voice in your mind months before you'll hear it aloud--you know it's different from any other connection you've had before.

She looked over at Kivik and smiled, remembering nir's curiosity about cultures as an anthropologist.

Vataix: Frankly, I think it's because of this connection to our mothers that's formed from before we are born that our society developed into a matriarchy.

((END FLASHBACK))

Vataix: Although the rest of that night was a bit of a blur...

((FLASHBACK: Observation Deck Dance Floor – New Year's Eve, 30 Minutes Until Midnight))

McLaren: ::Cheering:: You got it guys!

Paarus: ::putting his fingers to his mouth and whistling:: Yeah! Woot! Woot!

Bec gave a giggle.

Wong: You’re doing great!

McLaren: Oh come on Arthur! You can do better.

((Meanwhile, Grand Mezzanine, Ground Floor, near a pile of stuffed animals and pillows and blankets in the shape of a sleeping ambassador))

Vataix: Zzzzzzzz

((END FLASHBACK))

Hopper: That sounds amazing. I may not be in Operations, but if you need any help with party planning, please feel free to hit me up!  ::Smiling::  Speaking of which, if I’m ever going to have anyone over to my place, I’ll need to fill it with something besides houseplants – though I’ve been doing my best to put the space to use.

Vataix: Oh? How so?

Hopper: There’s this Xyrillian Dance-Pilates program I’ve been running…  ::Smirking::  It’s nice to be able to move around without crashing into anything.  ::Thinking::  That said, Commander Carter reminded me there’s a good fitness center on Amity that I haven’t checked out yet. I’ve been meaning to sign up for a class or something…

Rivi beamed.

Vataix: Oh, yes! John and I have been taking advantage of the center for boxing practice. They have a regulation-size swimming pool as well if you take to the water. And speaking of dance pilates, I believe they have private holo-instructor classes available all day.

Rivi herself hadn't actually tried them out before.

Hopper: ::Shrugging, chuckling::  Well, it couldn’t hurt to check it out, especially since soon I won’t have room to step-step-pelvic curl-and-step anymore…

Robin turned to Rivi, who saw an idea formed in the science officer's head shortly before she confirmed it aloud with a grin.

Hopper: Maybe we could take something together? I’d love to have the chance to keep chatting about more community initiatives for the Outpost, plus it could be fun!

Thinking back to that "Truth or Dare" game, Rivi felt emboldened for the spontaneity of the lieutenant's suggestion.

Vataix: ::nodding as she thought it over:: Correction: it *will* be fun!

Hopper: Response

Vataix: Let's go see if they have an open booking.

Hopper: Response

((Fitness Center))

When they arrived, Rivi pointed out a few of the facility's amenities, including where the change rooms were.

Vataix: I'll go ahead and check us in. Why don't you go ahead and change--you can call up any workout clothing you need from replicators in the change rooms--and meet back by the front desk?

Hopper: Response

TAG! TBC...

Ambassador Rivi Vataix
Chief of Mission and Commanding Officer, Amity Outpost
Federation Diplomatic Corps, United Federation of Planets
I238705TZ0