Captain Roshanara Rahman: Interview

Rivi Vataix

Sep 7, 2022, 11:57:40 PM9/7/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
//Captain's Log, Stardate 239909.07

The Kitty Hawk remains docked at Amity Outpost, although we'll soon be embarking on a trip out to Idrustix II, a planet identified for colonization by the Betazed government. We'll be transporting a delegation of Betazed nobles along with some of Ambassador Vataix's staff to the planet, although the trip will be brief, about eight hours at warp 7.

In the aftermath of our last mission, where we rescued the USS Independence from a subspace sinkhole, I have been meaning to check on how Lt. Commander Ukinix has been doing--both of them. I've heard also that Sky Blake, a former first officer of mine is also visiting the outpost, and- //

((Captain's Ready Room, USS Kitty Hawk))

The door chime interrupted Roshanara's monologue, and she pressed the pause button on her desktop viewer.

Rahman: ::sighs:: Yes, come in!

The doors slid open and a familiar-looking J'naii acting chief science officer marched nir way into the room.

Rahman: Kivik... ::nods and interlaces her fingers as she rests her hands on her desk, leaning forward:: What can I do for you?

Kivik: Thank you for meeting with me on such short notice, Captain. ::He gave a brief pause.::  I will try not to make a habit of asking you for unscheduled meetings in the future.

She motioned for him to take a seat, continuing to wave him along as she spoke.

Rahman: You're here; you have something that requires my attention, so what is it?

Kivik: ::Taking a seat:: Thank you… I wanted to talk with you regarding the Chief Science Officer Role.

She pressed her lips for a moment, nodding again.

Rahman: Okay.

Kivik: I’ve been doing a lot of thinking, especially since the most recent mission – and firstly, I just want to say that we are still working tirelessly on finding a solution for Commander Ukinix’s predicament…

She drew in a long breath. Predicament seemed an understatement.

Rahman: Yes... I've been looking over it myself.

In fact, part of why she hadn't spoken to either Wil was that she had hoped to have something concrete to tell them, a way to "fix" what had happened. But that solution still eluded her.

Kivik: …But I have also been thinking about what will come next, once that is resolved.  oO Assuming it is resolved… Oo  I was wondering if you have already found a replacement for Lt. Lafizatar and the Chief Science Officer Role.

Rahman: I've reviewed a few candidates, but honestly, I haven't had the time yet to finalize a decision.

Which, she probably should sooner rather than later given that it would take at least six to eight weeks for a replacement to arrive from back home across the galaxy.

The J'naii looked back at her, seemingly gathering the confidence for nir next statement.

Kivik: I think perhaps you’ve guessed at what I’ve come here to ask, so I might as well just put it out there. Captain Rahman, would you consider me for the role – permanently?

She sat up and then sat back in her chair, putting her hands in her lap as she considered what ne had just declared. Nir statement of interest was certainly a plus in nir favor, showing that ne had the confidence that would be needed in a leader. Still, it was a big job and a decision that wasn't to be made lightly.

Rahman: Do you feel ready for such a role?

Kivik: Response

Rahman: As you've already seen in your short time here, this is a very different ship from Veritas. Kitty Hawk's science department alone is larger than Veritas's entire crew complement.

Kivik: Response

She nodded, continuing her "interview" of nem.

Rahman: And of course, Kitty Hawk is on a 3-year deep space assignment. Are you prepared for that commitment?

Kivik: Response

She looked back at nem and folded her hands in her lap.

Rahman: Tell me why you want the job.

Kivik: Response

She stared back at nem after ne'd finished, letting the moment linger before slowly smiling.

Rahman: Well, I suppose the only thing then is to clear it with Ambassador Vataix.

Kivik: Response

She cocked her head slightly, raising an eyebrow.

Rahman: I see... department chief thinking indeed. Well then, if you're to be a department head aboard this ship, you'll need the proper rank and authority. As your new captain, I'm giving you a field promotion to full lieutenant. Go pack your things, get that new pip replicated, and I'll see you at the staff briefing tomorrow morning.

Kivik: Response

She stood up and extended a hand out towards her new chief science officer.

Rahman: Welcome aboard... again, Lieutenant.

Kivik: Response

END

Captain Roshanara Rahman
CO, USS Kitty Hawk