Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix - Mr Milk

Wil Ukinix

Apr 28, 2022, 8:11:46 AM4/28/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Shuttlebay, 0558 hours))

The Daintree was primed and ready to go, prepared by the crew overnight for the expedition to Idrustix.  Wil sat on the ramp to the shuttle slowly sipping his hot chocolate while waiting for the others to arrive.  A tune from his 20th/21st century Earth music collection was quietly playing on the shuttle’s speakers which he was tapping his foot along to.  Next to his feet was a small Starfleet emblazoned swag bag.  It contained three Starfleet emblazoned water bottles (to get around the “pink cupcake” replicator glitch), spare uniform (in case the replicators all out died), some casual hiking clothes (you know, just in case), a box of Starfleet issue energy bars, a PADD (complete with music collection pre-loaded), neural audio transmitters, and a muti-coloured cube shaped puzzle (each side with 9 squares on it) that he habitually took on long shuttle trips.

Having gone to bed early and sleeping solidly the night before, he felt fresh and ready for the trip to the colony planet.

Wong: ::Yawning:: ….. Morning, Commander….

Ukinix: G’day Ikaia, ready for a getaway?

Wong: A getaway? Is that what we’re calling it?

Ukinix: Think of it as a nature-based vacation, just that you’ll have to use your tricorder.  A lot.

Wong: Oh! So like a work-related camping trip? Heh… I think I can manage that.

Kivik: ::Hefting a crate filled with test tubes:: Just like old times, right Ikaia?

Wil turned to see Tri’lea had arrived.  Her minder was fussing over her, and Wil could sense some relief in Lea once the noble Daughter made her way alone towards the shuttle.

Polgonz: ::Smiling:: Ah, good morning, Lieutenant. Nice to see you again. I’m very grateful to have you along on this expedition. ::Nodding towards Wil:: You came highly recommended.

Ukinix: ::Smirking:: He bribes me.

Wong: Good morning, you two. Ready to go see some strange new worlds today?

Kivik: You bet!

Polgonz: Yes – though it won’t be entirely strange. We have detailed topographic scans as well as baseline spatial, atmospheric, geological, floral, and faunal analyses to start with.

Ukinix: That’s a great start.  Let’s head shall we?

Wong: Okay so quick recap - what are we looking at in terms of this colony planet? What’s going on with that?

Polgonz: Idrustix is to be Betazed’s first colony in the Delta Quadrant. My father’s survey team has determined that it’s quite suitable – only, upon further investigation, Lieutenant Solak has found that there may be risk of… ::to Wil:: What was the term he used again?

Ukinix: Um. ::scratching head:: Can’t remember.  Shall we get aboard-

Kivik: ::Pushing a gravsled loaded with scanners aboard the Daintree:: Basically, we want to know if the sun is going to cook the planet any time soon.

Wong: Wait. Is that it?

Polgonz: That about sums it up. Aside from that, any additional data we collect will help us establish the colony more efficiently and more safely.

Kivik: We’re also considering the feasibility of developing a system to help protect the colonists from solar radiation – though I don’t really understand the engineering considerations involved.

Ukinix: We can work that out when we get there.  So let’s hop to it-

Wong: Response

The J’naii officer spoke up when everything had been loaded into the shuttle.

Kivik: Alright, Science is ready to go. ::To Ukinix:: Anything else we need, Commander?

Ukinix:  Nup.  ::Gesturing with two thumbs in a “this way” motion towards the Daintree::  Just our bums in seats aboard a shuttle-

Wong: Response

Wil walked next to Lea as Kivik and Wong made their way ahead.

As they boarded the Daintree, Tri’lea overheard Kivik speaking with Wong.

Kivik: Psst – Ikaia… I brought marshmallows and hot chocolate! You know, just in case.

Wong: Response

That made Wil chuckle.  Smiling, Tri’lea turned to him as they walked aboard the shuttle.

Polgonz: I don’t suppose you brought a bottle of wine along, Commander? Perhaps you’ll find me less tolerable without one to share.

Ukinix: ::Smiling:: Actually, I’ve got something better than that.  ::Raising finger:: A chief medical officer that can prescribe me a *really* strong sedative if necessary.  ::Gesturing, slight bow:: Welcome aboard, your majesty.

By the time they all had boarded the shuttle, the music from Wil’s collection had moved on to the next song.  Finally after years of listening to a wide, eclectic collection of centuries old Earth music, the musical outfit responsible for the tune were fast becoming his favourite musical artist to listen to.

He gleefully moved towards the pilot’s seat as he issued an instruction to the computer, and dropped his Starfleet swag next to the pilot’s chair.

Ukinix: Computer, music playback to 20% volume and prepare for departure. ::Tap of console:: =/\= This is Daintree, requesting clearance to depart. =/\=

The doors to the shuttle raised shut to a close.  Wil rubbed his hands together, excited at the prospect of piloting the shuttle.  Not known for his helm prowess, he had been secretly practising in the holodeck.  He (in his mind at least) had seen some improvement…

Ops: =/\= Daintree, you are authorized for departure.  Safe journey, Commander. =/\=

He blew on the tops of his fingers, then placed his hands on the helm controls.  The engines began to whir, the shuttle lifted and then floated towards one of the large exits.  Well, sort of.  It was more towards the wall *next* to the exit.

Wong/Kivik/Polgonz: Responses

Ukinix: Nah, nah, all good.

The shuttle banked furiously right to align itself with the opening.  It accelerated forward to leave the bay with *plenty* of metres to spare on the port side.

…and only 1.5 metres on the starboard side.

Ukinix: See?  ::Small swallow::  No wukkas.

Wong/Kivik/Polgonz: Responses

Ukinix: Hey, let’s do a quick lap around Amity and check it out through the window.

Wil banked the shuttle left, so that those that wanted it could get a view of the outpost, including the Defiant Class “Indy” docked on top of Terminal A.  The view was even more spectacular with the Galaxy Class vessel attached to the outpost.

Wong/Kivik/Polgonz: Responses

Finally, Wil wiggled the shuttle to away from Amity out into more open space.  He prepared the console for the shuttle to go to warp.

Ukinix: Here we go.  ::Pressing warp engage button on helm console:: Bam!

The view out of the cockpit changed from purple with stars, to streaking lines as the shuttle went to warp.

Ukinix: Next stop… the Idrustrix system.  Until then… ::reaching into nearby bag to grab puzzle cube, then putting feet up on console:: enjoy the ride.

Wong/Kivik/Polgonz: Responses

((Twenty three hours later – Daintree Crew Lounge))

(OOC: This is probably not official, but looks pretty good for the layout of the Daintree, so have based the fact that there’s a crew lounge on this:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6e/41/d1/6e41d1499473867174067436998252a4.jpg)

(OOC2: I’m assuming in this scene that Wong and Kivik are elsewhere on the shuttle, up to both of you where!)

Wil had managed to get some solid sleep on the trip, and now was just finishing off his cup of green tea to wake him up.  His feet were up on the table in the lounge, as he wrestled with his multi-coloured puzzle cube.

Polgonz: Response

Ukinix: ::Rotating cube in his hand as he looks at it:: Turns out I’m an engineer, not a mathematician.  ::Gesturing to replicator:: Want some green tea?  You can’t beat a Japanese sencha first thing in the morning.

Polgonz: Response

Ukinix: So, how’s the wedding plans coming along?

Polgonz: Response

Ukinix: ::Palms up:: Innocent question.

Polgonz: Response

Wil took his feet off the table, shifted forward in his seat and rested his chin on his palm.

Ukinix: ::Smiling:: At the very least you’re entertaining, Tri’lea.

Polgonz: Response

A friendly, warm, short klaxon tone sounded through the room’s speakers.

Ukinix:   ::Small yawn, covering mouth with back of hand:: Looks like we’ve arrived in the Idustrix system.  ::Finishes yawn, gesturing with head:: Let’s head to the flight deck.

Polgonz: Response

((Flight Deck))

Wong/Kivik/Polgonz: Responses

Ukinix: Should we check out the star first?

Wong/Kivik/Polgonz: Responses

Tags/TBC

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix

Starfleet attaché and First Officer