Lt. Cmdr Robin Hopper: Facing the Day (Part 1)

Robin Hopper

Dec 7, 2023, 2:46:15 AM12/7/23
to Amity Outpost (IC)

((OOC – Splitting this into two parts, one at home, one at the restaurant. Just to make reading / tags a little simpler for everyone!))

((Hopper’s Apartment, Beijing district, Amity Outpost))

Robin had almost been looking forward to returning to her duties in the SRC following a few hard-earned weeks of R&R as well as her planned pre-work rendezvous with Nate. The Universe, it seemed, had other plans, and now she was scrambling to make sense of the fact that both her mothers, her sister, and her secret boyfriend were all standing in the same room.

Whether or not that secret had been exposed or not – and how they had all wound up together in her living room – was driving her mad. So, with the immediate chaos of Keri at the record player under control, she asked the question that was threatening to give her an aneurysm.

Hopper: And, umm, how did you all wind up coming here together?

Nate stepped forward and offered her a coffee. It was a sweet gesture, but as she accepted it, she felt nothing but concern for what might have occurred on the way from the café to her apartment. Nate was many things – but a skillful liar he was not.

Richards: I made my stop at the Brew Continuum to grab us our coffee for this morning, and Cassian caught my attention. After introductions, I…let it slip that I was coming here, ::shrugging:: and they said they were headed this way anyways.

She noted his apologetic look, which would have to do for now – but her own expression must have given away her inner turmoil, as her mavai immediately called her on the lackluster reaction their unexpected arrival had received.

Ansyra: Is seeing your family really such a horrible change to your day?

Robin bit the inside of her cheek. On Earth, children believed their mothers had eyes in the backs of their heads to catch their misbehaviour. On Velestus, the looming threat that was your mavai was one of the one-in-a-million Centaurans born with telepathic abilities. Robin had never shaken her belief that Ansyra was, secretly, one of these elite.

Keri: ::Goading tone, to Robin:: Yeah! Is it?!

Keri, on the other hand, was just a know-it-all.

Melissa: ::Friendly teasing:: I thought as a science officer your job was to expect the unexpected.

And mama was eternally understanding.

Robin sighed, shaking her head at the variety of accusations flying her way.

Richards: I wanted to call ahead and let you know we were coming, ::Looking to Melissa and Ansyra:: but they wanted it to be a…surprise.

Keri: Surprise, Rob Rob!

Hopper: ::Slow blink, deep breath::  That’s a lot to take in before I’ve even had a sip of this.  ::She took a sip of her coffee, then spoke::  Mavai, Mama, I am happy to see you. I really am. But I’m the Chief Science Officer on this station – you have to understand that my whole week is usually planned out down to the minute.  ::Holding up a hand and shaking her head::  I’ll just have to clear some things, move them ‘til next week.

oO First meeting of the day today was with Furahl Ygrix. I can definitely bump him… Oo

Hopper: ::To Nate::  Thank you, very much, Lieutenant, for your help.  ::Only half-lying::  Mr. Richards has been checking in on me since the last mission went a little –  ::dramatic face::  – sideways. I’m sure you read the articles about it. I’m sure he was just concerned that your appearance would throw off my plans.

She looked at him and sipped her coffee, expecting that he would play along. He ran his hand through his hair and chuckled.

Richards: It’s been a hell of a morning, so far.

Mission accomplished.

Ansyra: Yes, thank you, Lieutenant. Now… would you mind perhaps giving my daughter and her family some time to reconnect?

Richards: Of course. ::Offering a smile:: I…I should probably be getting down to Engineering anyways.

Keri took a few steps towards Nate, her tone changing in a way that made Robin’s skin crawl. She knew that voice. It was what Keri sounded like on the rare occasion she decided to try and seem ‘cute’ instead of her usual modus of impersonating the Port Hibbings Bog Hag.

Keri: But, you know, Lieutenant, I’d be happy to have a coffee with you, seeing I’m new here. If you were interested.

oO HE IS NOT INTERESTED. OO

She caught Nate’s befuddled glance and rolled her eyes, then just turned away and walked over towards the kitchen to recover her PADD from the island. She was going to have to start making changes to her day plans, and that meant a few tasks were going to have to be delegated.

Richards: Uh, maybe…I mean, we will have to see. I’m usually pretty busy these days.

Hopper: ::From across the kitchen::  Keri, don’t you think you’re coming on a bit strong? Let the poor man breathe.

Melissa: Well I don’t see any harm in a coffee or two.

oO Or two? Oo

Hopper: Mama, don’t encourage her.

Keri: ::To Hopper:: Shutup!

Ansyra: I don’t want to hear it right now. If you two are just going to argue, I’m going to head over to the hotel and unpack my things and take a nap.

Ansyra had never had much patience for her children’s bickering. Perhaps that was because of her own childhood. On Velestus, it was common practice for young to be raised in mutually-cared for creches, a social structure rumoured to have existed since the first islands rose from the sea, and inspired by the way the Centauran Manta schooled. While it was not an unloving way to raise a family, it provided ample space for parents and children to live their lives without constant interference.

Keri: Aww, poor Mavai.  ::She went over and gave her mother a hug::  Shall we get you a warm cocoa and a blanket too? ::Jokingly::  Maybe they do bingo sessions on Amity? ::Deliberately stifled laugh::

Robin rolled her eyes and continued adjusting her day plan, sipping at the coffee Nate had brought. It was, truly, very nice – and he’d brought her a caramel macchiato too, her favourite. Already, her simmering irritation was beginning to cool, replaced by disappointment at not getting the time she’d planned with him.

Melissa: Keri…

Hopper: At least she’s pestering someone who knows how to handle her bull$#%&.

Melissa: ::To Robin:: You need to watch your mouth as well.

Robin knew better than to talk back, and just shrugged.

Richards: ::Mostly to Robin:: I’d better go. My shift is about to start.

She nodded, trying to appear unaffected. They were going to have to start seeing each other more inconspicuously with her family on the station.

Hopper: Well, thank you again, Lieutenant. Your assistance is most appreciated.

Maybe lunch dates would be the thing. She glanced down at her schedule again, seeing if she could reschedule her afternoon Biochem research review or maybe the species classification briefing…

Keri: Bye, blondie!

oO Ugh. BARF. Oo

Richards: It was nice to meet you all. I’m sure I will be seeing you again.

Nate turned on his heels and (practically) ran – and Robin couldn’t blame him. She was feeling the scrutiny, and she was sure that he’d sensed it as well… not to mention Keri’s embarrassing attempts at flirtation.

oO Was I ever so shameless? Oo  she thought for a moment, then, scowling, decided she’d rather not answer that question honestly.

A moment later, the PADD in her hand alerted her that a message had come from Nate – a simple note, reading  // I’m really sorry. I hope I can make it up to you. Talk to you later. //

Robin let out a wistful sigh, then set her PADD aside for the moment, knowing she would need to figure out what her family had in store for her before she worked out how she and Nate could make up the lost time.

Hopper: ::Walking back into the living room::  So! I’ve cleared my morning. You have me all to yourselves. What’s on the docket? Pool time at the hotel? Watching the Hawlat Angel Migration from the observation lounge? Or do you all need to..  ::holding up her macchiato::  ..caffeinate as well?

Keri: Well, I have some good news.  Mavai, I’m sorry you won’t have time for a nap.  Envoy Ukinix graciously booked a table for the four of us at the Lighthouse restaurant for brunch!  It’s meant to be amazing, silver service, fancy waiters, the works.  But it means we have to get all dressed up.

Robin raised her eyebrows. Keri trying her ‘diplomacy’ act at The Lighthouse. Should be interesting. Like watching a Galaxy Class ship crashing into a planet. On the other hand, she hadn’t eaten breakfast yet – and the thought of sitting and eating breakfast with her family didn’t seem quite so challenging as playing ‘tour guide’.

oO Plus that means I have a chance to change – and put on some underwear. Oo

Melissa: That’s very lovely of her.

Ansyra: Response

Hopper: Perfect. The Lighthouse serves a really delicious truffled mushroom and spinach frittata.

Robin moved towards her bedroom.

Hopper: There’s a replicator with plenty of clothing patterns in there if anyone wants something not in your bags. Give me a sec, and I’ll just throw something on.  ::To Keri::  When is our reservation?

Keri: ::Looking at chrono:: Fifteen minutes.

Melissa: FIFTEEN?

Hopper: ::Simultaneously:: FIFTEEN?

Ansyra: Response

TBC  (Part 2 likely coming tomorrow)