Lt. Robin Hopper: Make Like A Tree

Robin Hopper

Apr 4, 2023, 8:09:15 PM4/4/23
to Amity Outpost (IC)

((Food Court, Grand Mezzanine – Amity Outpost))

Robin was grateful that Ikaia had ‘rang her’ for a hang out. After the last couple weeks of Hirogen diplomacy and war games, a little downtime in the food court with her favourite Klingon was exactly what the doctor ordered – she smiled to herself at the thought, seeing as she was currently sitting across from the Chief Medical Officer eating french fries by the handful.

She listened as Ikaia continued telling her about this ‘student’ of his.

Wong: He’s this young Kriosan guy. Has an interest in medicine and well, I’ve been teaching him what I know. My hope is that he could at least start as a medical assistant. I’m also looking into maybe getting some courses for him as well. I haven’t checked out what Starfleet has in regard to that yet. But it’s something I’m looking into.

Hopper: ::Nodding along::  Mmm, yeah. Who knows – if our mission here in the Delta Quadrant is proving successful, maybe someday we’ll even have an Academy branch out here?

She pointed across the table at him with a fry before dipping it into some ketchup and eating it.

Hopper: In the meantime though, I’m sure you’ll do a fine job showing him the ropes.

Wong: He seems to be a quick study. I really think that if he keeps up with this, he’d become an excellent doctor one day. I mean that is IF this is what he wants to do.

Robin quirked an eyebrow. If he wasn’t set on medicine, what exactly was he doing all the way out here studying under a CMO?  oO That’s a long way to go if you’re uncertain. Oo  Then again, Ikaia had said ‘Kriosian’. Maybe their education system was different than what she was used to.

Hopper: ::Thinking::  Kriosian…? Isn’t that Captain Rahman’s species? I’m not that familiar with them.

Ikaia nodded matter-of-factly.

Wong: He is. Rahman actually was the one who assigned him to me.

Hopper: Interesting… So, he’s not a cadet, then? How did he wind up out here? …Assuming you know the answer to that.

Wong: Partially. The best answer that I have is that he’s something like an exchange student. His education prior to what I’ve been teaching him was as a generalist.

It was Robin’s turn to return the ‘matter-of-fact’ nod.

Hopper: Gotcha. I guess that’s not that different from what I did when I was a kid. Not sure I ever told you, but in my last year of secondary, I interned with a holonovel company – turning old books into holo-adaptations…  ::Smile::  Not that I went on to become a holonovelist, but I did start to get a sense of what I wanted to do.

The two of them reached for the fries at the same moment. Robin chuckled and let Ikaia into the basket first.

Hopper: Is he a high school student, then, or…?

Ikaia took his fries, Robin took hers. The basket was beginning to look empty.  oO A shame… Oo

Wong: Think along the lines of a General Arts and Sciences student.

Hopper: Oh. So post-secondary already… Huh. Is he planning on studying under you for a long time? It’s quite a trip to come all this way unless you’re expecting an extended stay.

Wong: Actually, would you like to meet him? I was planning to bring him down to my botany lab to show him the connection between plants and medicine.

Hopper: ::Shrug, popping a ketchup-dipped fry into her mouth::  Mmm?  ::Chewing, swallowing::  Yeah, sounds fun! You should see the collection I’ve started rematerializing – and my triostar. I actually brought it all the way from the Alpha Quadrant.  ::Waving a hand to cut herself off::  But, yes, definitely, let’s check out your plant babies this time.

She grinned eagerly.

Wong: Response

Hopper: You have the last fry.  ::Standing, picking up her bag::  Should I get back into uniform? I mean, I know he’s just a student, but I already met Commander Iovianus’ mom looking like a groundskeeper.

Wong: Response

Hopper: Deal. I’ll meet you there in twenty.

As she began to walk away towards the train station, carrying her duffel bag full of gear over her shoulder, she turned and waved at Ikaia.

Hopper: See you soon!

((Twenty Minutes Later, Ikaia’s Lab – Level 3, Science and Research Center))

As she stepped off the turbolift into the Medical Sciences level of Amity’s Science and Research Center (where Ikaia’s lab was located), Robin rolled her neck slightly and pinched at her shoulder. It hadn’t been bothering her before, but she was beginning to think she might have tweaked something performing a spike during the match earlier…  It was either that or somehow she’d done it tossing a fry into her mouth – and that was a possibility she was not going going to entertain.

As the door slid open with a little ‘whoosh’, Robin waved at the Klingon CMO.

Hopper: Heyyy… ::To Ikaia::  Long time no see, buddy… Where’s your student?

Kalil: Response

As the younger man stepped around the corner, Robin smiled. She held out a hand in greeting.

Ikaia: Response

Hopper: Kalil – nice to meet you. Lieutenant Robin Hopper, Chief Science Officer. Don’t worry I’m not here on ‘official’ business or evaluations or anything. I just came to look at the plants.

Ikaia/Kalil: Response

Hopper: So, Kalil, are you interested in botany’s role in medicine?

Kalil/Ikaia: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)