Lt. Robin Hopper: Pathfinding

Robin Hopper

Jan 24, 2023, 12:17:27 AM1/24/23
to Amity Outpost

((1520 Hours – Hopper’s Office, Science & Research Center Level 12, Amity Outpost))

Robin set down the PADD on her desk and rubbed her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose, and scrunching up her face. She had been staring at screens filled with data on the Hirogen for nearly the entire 1.5 hours since the briefing in Rivi’s office. It still felt like there was more to figure out, but the present circumstances had demanded swift action of Amity’s Diplomatic Corps leadership – and Starfleet was here to support that mission, even when the challenges posed felt overwhelmingly daunting. No – especially when they were daunting.

With a few minutes to spare before she was due to meet Ensign Veers for a quick one-on-one, Robin pushed aside the small stack of official devices and set her personal PADD on the desktop in front of her. Accessing her private files, she pulled up a note from her birth mother, Melissa Hopper – sent just after Robin had informed her moms that she’d be transferring to Amity Outpost. Melissa had served as an FDC staffer and, given the nature of their mission in the Delta Quadrant, it had felt only natural to ask if she had any advice…

// Begin Message //

From: Melissa Hopper

To: Lt. Robin Hopper

I’m so proud of you, Birdie. We both are. You’ve always gone straight after your dreams without a second thought, and your good judgment has rarely led you astray. Congratulations on the new assignment. I’m sure you’ll find all sorts of fascinating things out there in the Delta Quadrant, on your own frontier adventure.

Since I understand communications may be sporadic, coming from so far away, and with you taking on so much responsibility, I’ll try to keep my advice to you short and sweet (as simple and broadly-applicable as possible).

In my time with the FDC, I always found that good diplomacy boiled down to three core ideals:

  • Compassion, which I know you have in spades

  • Communication, which can sometimes feel like a one-way street

  • Compromise, only in deeds – never in integrity

I know you’ll do great.

All my love,

Mama

// End Message //

Robin sighed. The advice had been more cryptic than she remembered. All the same, reading her mother’s words was a comfort – and the small picture that accompanied them reminded her of why they were all out here. Connection. Even in the most remote corner of the galaxy. Everyone was seeking it.

The door chimed. Robin set the PADD down on the opposite end of her desk.

Hopper: Hi – come on in!

She stood as the white-frosted glass doors slid open, briefly revealing the small pool of SRC administrative desks beyond. The Science & Research Center had undergone extensive upgrades prior to, during, and following the conversion from Copernicus to Amity Outpost. Sleek, modern, and spanning 24 levels devoted to Starfleet and civilian research, it was like leading a small ship of her own… But a team was only as effective as its constituent parts. Each member had a role to play in their continuing mission – and so Robin found few things as fulfilling as welcoming new members to her team.

Veers: Response (optional)

Robin stood, walking around the desk and offering Veers a handshake, along with a friendly smile. The young auburn-haired Trill woman struck Robin as slightly reserved – then again, perhaps she was simply stoic. After all, when meeting a Trill, one had to consider the age and wisdom of the symbiont as well as the host.

Hopper: Ensign Veers, it’s great to meet you properly. Call me “Robin” if you like, or “Lieutenant” if you prefer – ::chuckling::  anything but “ma’am”. I’d normally offer you a seat and a drink – but, since we have company coming, why don’t you walk with me to the train station? We can get acquainted as we go.

Veers: Response (optional)

They left Robin’s office, the doors sliding shut behind them, and out into the pool of desks that filled the split-level’s upper floor. Below was a small communal mess hall and lounge, where civilian and Starfleet scientists could mingle and discuss their work in a more casual setting.

Hopper: I know it’s been a busy day…  ::Smirk::  Are you familiar with the human idiom “thrown in the deep end”?

Veers: Response

Hopper: I wanted to make sure I had a chance to check in with you before our meeting with the Hirogen. Make sure you’re taken care of, answer any questions you might have… How are you finding Amity so far?

They reached the end of the upper landing and began walking down the curved stairs to the lower level, heading towards the turbolift.

Veers: Response

Hopper: ::Nodding::  There’s a lot to explore on this Outpost. People often say it feels more like a small city than a diplomatic space station – but we’re a close-knit community. I’m sure you’ve also noticed we’re a bit informal here, given the civilian contingents, compared to what you’ll be used to coming out of the Academy.  ::Smile::  It was a bit of a surprise for me as well, but a pleasant one. I think it fosters a more open and collaborative environment – good for the sciences.

Veers: Response

They weaved their way through the mess hall tables and lounge, taking a direct course towards the turbolift. Reaching it, Robin pressed the button to summon it.

Hopper: Just know that we still take our work and our duties very seriously. I think you’ll be impressed with the facilities we have here, and our staff…  ::Changing topics::  What do you think about our Hirogen visitors, this presentation? How are you feeling about it?

Veers: Response

The turbolift arrived, the doors sliding open with a little “whoosh”.

Hopper: ::Gesturing inside::  Shall we?

((OOC – Happy to backsim here, if you want to add more tags for Hopper in your response sim!))

((1530 Hours – Train Station, Science & Research Center Level 9))

As Robin stepped off the lift, she was happy to see the others already gathered. She gave a friendly wave to S’Raga nd Nadeshiko, before engaging in brief introductions.

Hopper: ::Excited::  Hi you two… We only have a minute or two before our Hirogen guest is due and I want to make sure we’ll all on the same page. But, first things first. This is Ensign Cara Veers. She’ll be joining us for our presentation today.

Veers/S’Raga/Nadeshiko: Responses (optional)

Hopper: ::To Veers::  Ensign, I’d like you to pay close attention to our guests’ interests. I’ll be providing more of a ‘big picture’ of scientific advancements over the past few decades, but I’d like you to focus in on what they seem most interested in. Feel free to bring a PADD with you for reference, if you like, and elaborate on anything that strikes their fancy.

Veers: Response

Hopper: ::To S’Raga::  Ensign S’Raga is our HCO. Ambassador Vataix has highlighted that the Hirogen may be interested by developments in communications. I’d like you to speak to this as an expert in that field – perhaps referencing the Pathfinder Project as a familiar ‘jumping off’ point. Work with Ensign Veers to provide them with some interesting details – but nothing too, umm, ‘sensitive.’

She raised her eyebrows, hoping that S’Raga would understand that only a surface level overview was required, given the potential dangers of oversharing with their guests.

S’Raga: Response

Hopper: Thank you, S’Raga. ::To Nadeshiko::  Nadeshiko is part of our Civilian team.  ::Smirk::  I think the title of “analyst” falls a little short in describing your capabilities. I’m sure you’ve done your own research into developments the Hirogen might find exciting – are there any other topics you feel might be worth covering in more depth?

Nadeshiko: Response

Hopper: Noted. I look forward to hearing more of your insights!

Veers/S’Raga: Response (optional)

((OOC – We can backsim if anyone has questions/concerns to address IC))

The train coasted into the station platform and Robin spun around to face it, her team assembled behind her. She tucked her hands behind her back, clasping them together, and stood at a rigid ‘ease’. Deep breath…  oO This is it. Oo

As the doors slid open, and she found herself face to face with a Hirogen Hunter for the first time, she did her best to speak assertively. oO Communication Oo  she reminded herself.

Hopper: Beta Tazik, welcome to Amity’s Science and Research Center. I see you’ve brought Lieutenant Iko with you.  ::Nod to Bec::  I’m Lieutenant Robin Hopper, Amity’s Chief Science Officer.

Tazik: Response

Veers/S’Raga/Nadeshiko/Iko: Response

Robin stood firm, channeling the spirit of Captain Kathryn Janeway as best as she could.

Hopper: We’re prepared to give you a tour of some of our facilities and present on recent strides the Federation has made in our theoretical and applied sciences. I think you’ll find it interesting.

Tazik: Response

Hopper: Why don’t you tell us what fields most interest you, and we can start there? I have a listing of our departments for you here…

She handed the Hirogen beta a PADD with a summarised breakdown of the SRC’s sections, labs, and facilities.

Tazik: response

Robin nodded and gestured towards the waiting turbolift that could carry them to any of the other levels of the Science & Research Center.

Hopper: Very well, right this way. We can take this lift to any section of the Center that interests you.

As Tazik stepped past her, towards the lift, Robin took Bec aside for a brief moment.

Hopper: ::Placing a hand on Bec’s shoulder::  I want you to know that you’re here for more than a show of ‘muscle’, Bec. The Hirogen are, by no means, a luddite species. I’d like you to engage with them – learn what we might have to learn from them in exchange. Advanced armor, ship stealth systems, weaponry.  ::Grinning::  Have fun with it.

Iko: Response

Hopper: Okay. Off we go!

Veers/S’Raga/Nadeshiko/Iko/Tazik: Responses

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)
Chief Science Officer, Amity Outpost