Ensign Kivik: A Decent Proposal

Keegan Flick-Parker

Oct 13, 2021, 2:37:56 PM10/13/21
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost - Federation Diplomatic Corps, Jansen Orrey’s Office))

Kivik could see the look of apprehension on Dr. Orrey’s face - it was encouraging, ne thought. The J’naii had half expected Orrey to laugh in nir face or spit his tea out over the table. Apprehension was a step up from that.

Orrey: Alright...a couple of things first. Is there a movement for this on the homeworld? I understand that it is a choice that leads to ostracization and worse...but is there support for the notion?

Kivik: There is a considerable ‘underground’ subculture of gendered J’naii and those who know their secret and support them. Of course, given the circumstances, it is a close-knit and secretive community. I was able to meet with many such individuals while conducting my research but, for obvious reasons, kept their identities strictly confidential.

Kivik shifted in seat, a little uncomfortable with what was coming next.

Kivik: Aside from that, there are some who want to create a more inclusive society but simply don’t have the means to make change happen - or perhaps they don’t have the courage. This includes some members of the government, but none who would openly admit their position for fear of the ramifications. My sibling, Jasken, is among those.

Ne thought back to nir covert conversation with Jasken during nir leave, back on J’naii. While nir sibling had been loathe to make any commitments, it had seemed clear to Kivik that there was something there - a stirring of hope, perhaps, that there might be a brighter future for J’naii.

Orrey: Secondly, let me see your research. I want to read it and go over it as well. Consider it a peer review of your work if you will.

Kivik: ::Smiling, nervously:: I thought you might say that. I actually sent a copy your way right before walking into your office - you should have it now. I’m afraid it’s rather dry - we never did get to fully edit it… my partner and I. Research on these topics must be run through a government overseer and, as I’m sure you can imagine, we were not approved for publication. I was forced to publish independently. ::Considering:: Is there anything else you think would help?

Orrey: If you get me that information in a concrete way. Specifically if there is some sort of centralized…::motioning with his hand:: I don’t want to say resistance but you know what I mean, yes?

Kivik nodded and took a heartening sip of hot chocolate. The warm soothing taste always helped ease the Ensign’s nerves.

Kivik: I understand - but I also want to be clear in my expectations, Dr. Orrey - Jansen. I have no illusions that the Federation is going to swoop in and start arming rebels. I don’t think that’s the appropriate response to this situation. What I’d like to do is try to strengthen the cultural exchange between the Federation and J’naii… Are you familiar with the mere exposure effect?

Orrey: Response

Kivik: I believe that the simplest way to make a positive change is simply to have a presence on J’naii - Federation media and personnel would be a sensation on J’naii, as it was nearly thirty years ago. If the J’naii can see that gendered individuals aren’t primitive and deviant but intelligent, wonderful, and kind people, and begin to grow accustomed to seeing them in their daily lives - even through media - they will begin to grow more comfortable.

Orrey: Response

Kivik: Of course, I understand this won’t happen overnight. But the last thirty years are proof that without some external change, this issue will simply keep stagnating.

Orrey: Response

Kivik: I suppose I’d like to offer any and all help that I can to furthering a healthy working relationship between my world and the Federation. This is where I’m hoping we can bridge our knowledge, Jansen. I know J’naii - and you know Federation Diplomacy. Perhaps, together, we can create a proposal?

Orrey: Response

TBC

===
Ensign Kivik (ne/nem/nir)