Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix - Off to the Races

Wil Ukinix

Jan 13, 2022, 6:18:01 AM1/13/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Chief of Mission's Office, Amity Outpost, two weeks before Amity Expo 2399))

Ukinix:
… so given the interest we’re expecting the station’s population to swell for the Expo.  By the first day of the expo, race day, we’re expecting an extra forty-three percent head count.  I’ve informed the hotel in the Paxau district to prepare for the extra people.  They’re expecting full capacity so we have to get the message out that some visitors will have to accommodate on their own ships.

The XO, standing at the end of the table, looked at the PADD that had the last talking point on his list.

Ukinix: Last thing, well done to Lieutenant Reade and team on the upgrade of Science and Research.  Astrometrics have now finalised their move from Level 4 of Copernicus, into the new Stellar Cartography  on Level 16 of the basement.  The Astrometrics room will remain for those times when we have to quickly nip up from Ops to access star charts.

Wil looked at the conference table.  There was a mix of Starfleet uniforms and people wearing professional attire.  It looked very different to the briefings he had on the Veritas, such was the nature of Amity Outpost.

One of those not in a Starfleet uniform, Keehani Ukinix, was only half taking notes on her PADD, and seemed a million light years away.  He also wondered if anyone else was not paying attention.  So as a test-

Ukinix: …and we’ve recovered from that Elephant stampede we had on the Grand Mezzanine 3 days ago, Janaran Fountain might never be the same again though.

-he said something random and completely false like that.

Keehani looked up and gave her cousin a slight eyeroll.

Keehani: ::Quietly under her breath:: Very funny.

Any: Response

With a smirk and a small shrug, Wil re-took his seat that was adjacent to Rivi.

Vataix: All right, then let's go around and hear from the individual departments. Why don't we start with...

Rivi seemed to playfully look around the table before she finally laid eyes on the Chief of Security.

Vataix: ...security.

The Magna Roman began going over the security preparations in place to handle the crowds.

Iovianus: Response

Vataix: Anything to add, Bec?

Iko: Response

Vataix: Okay, engineer's next. Scotty, are there any issues we'll need to be aware of with the increased traffic and visitors to the station?

Reade: Response

Vataix: And the status of the Independence?

Reade: Response

Rivi looked over at Keehani, which made Wil also look at the ambassadorial aide.  In contrast to moments earlier she was now furiously taking notes on her PADD compared to before.

oO Was my update that boring? OO

Vataix: Ikaia, what do you have to say about Medical's readiness for the expo?

Wong: I’d say we’re in good shape for the expo. We should have our first aid booth set up and running smoothly for anyone who may need it during the event. I’d also like to remind everyone here that it is flu season here in the Quadrant. If you haven’t come to get your vaccine yet, please remember to do so before the day of the event please.

Vataix: Dr. Suribana, do you have anything planned for the scientific exhibition?

Suribana: Response

Something that Falina said made Rivi turn her attention to representatives of the science boffins.

Vataix: How is the science exhibition planning going?

Kivik: Response

Aleksandrov: Response

Vataix: Do you need any assistance from operations?

Kivik: Response

Aleksandrov: Response

Rivi nodded as she turned her attention to the Bajoran operations officer, Ensign Paarus Zalbac.

Vataix: I have a feeling you'll be doing a lot of running around over the next several weeks, Ensign.

Wil smiled sympathetically at Zal.  That was an understatement.  From the list of tasks Wil had seen, he suspected that the operations officer was going to be kept busy.

Paarus: Response

Vataix: Are all terminals and transporters expected to be operational?

Paarus: Response

Vataix: I'd like us to learn as much as possible about the variety of spacecraft configurations we'll be encountering out here in the Delta Quadrant. Maybe you, Lieutenant Reade, and Lieutenant Ariadust can study the visiting starships while they're in dock.

Which made sense – the smaller sized race craft on their own wouldn’t travel the whole way to Amity – they’d be housed in shuttle bays until they got there.

Paarus: Response

Reade: Response

Ariadust: Response

Vataix: Lieutenant Ariadust, I want you to also prepare to give a demonstration as our lead Starfleet pilot aboard. Does that sound doable?

Wil looked at Ceciri, and wondered how the whole arranged marriage thing was going.  He wanted to check in with her at some point, to ensure her welfare.  The last thing he wanted was a Starfleet officer being forced to do something against their personal will.

Ariadust: Response

Vataix: Maybe we can drum up some excitement from the media about it...

Which on that note, Rivi then turned to her Deputy Chief of Mission, who had his hands quite full with duties covering press and general cultural affairs.

Vataix: What kind of press coverage *are* we getting so far, Dr. Orrey?

Orrey: Response

Vataix: Any particular requests we should know about from the participating delegations in the race or general exhibition, Mr. Daniels?

Daniels: Response

Rivi nodded before finally looking over at John Carter, the station's chief counsellor and second officer.

Vataix: John, what's your assessment of the crew's morale?

Carter: Response

Vataix: Any potential hazards, stressors, or other things you've either seen or heard about?

Carter: Response

Any: Response

Wong: Would it be possible to refresh us on the nature of this race in space itself? It is our biggest attraction. I feel like we should have some details on that.

Ukinix: Yep, can do.  When Voyager came through the Delta Quadrant, its custom-built auxiliary craft participated in something called the Antarian Trans-stellar Rally.  The ships in the race were small scout ships that ran on enriched deuterium fuel.  That’s evolved as racing class since then, beyond Antarian space.  We’ll be hosting the first annual Antarian class Amity Trans-Nebula Rally.  We’ve had several species lodge entrance petitions; they’ll need to be assessed to ensure they meet class guidelines.  Astrometric are finalising a 2.1-billion-kilometre course as we speak.

Any: Response

Wong: Science booths aside, do we have anything else going on here in the station itself? Also, is there anything else you need from me?

Ukinix: You might want to consider having a medical team dedicated and ready for the racers.  We can use a couple of our auxiliary craft as roving ambulances on race day if necessary.

Any: Responses

Keehani: Ambassador, may I suggest you and senior personnel give Mr Summerside of the Briori sun and Miss Ri'zella of the FNS an Expo exclusive of some sort.  With so many Delta Quadrant species involved in the race, it may be good exposure for the Federation, especially on Briori.

Vataix/Orrey/Daniels: Response

Any: Responses

Tags/TBC

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix