Lt. Robin Hopper: Girls Night Out

Robin Hopper

Apr 24, 2023, 4:07:11 PM4/24/23
to Amity Outpost (IC)

((Level 14, Copernicus Center – Amity Outpost))

Hopper: So, when can I expect to hear back?

Robin stood beside the desk smiling at the adorable little Pelian FDC secretary who sat atop a raised stool, holding a diminutive mini-PADD in their hands, looking over the document she had brought along. She watched with internal joy as the secretary kicked their little legs, as they navigated to a scheduling module on their PADD.

Djasadi: Since everything appears to be in order, Lieutenant, I will submit this to the Ambassador for her review immediately. After that, it will depend on how busy Ambassador Vataix’s schedule is. Typical turnaround on approvals like this would be several weeks.

Hopper: ::Pleased:: Alright, I can live with that. Thanks for your help, Child of Peliar, of the Alephan District, within the City of Hruuth, descendant of the Kryun… Secretary Djasadi.

She had paid attention – and briefly looked up the secretary’s profile in her personnel database - while the Pelian read over her proposal for a Peace Park Community Garden space. They maintained a complicated scheme for greetings. Complicated, but not impossible – and she was keen on leaving on the little secretary’s good side.

Djasadi: ::Tiny smile::  You have a sharp memory, Child of Theta VII, of the Agrilcutural allotment, within the City of Port Hibbing, descent of the Hoppers, Lieutenant Robin.  ::Slight bow of head::

Hopper: Thank you.  ::Wave::  It was a pleasure meeting you – I’ll let you get back to your work.

Djasadi: Always work to be done. Have a fair day, Lieutenant.

And with that, she began her walk back towards the turbolift and, beyond, the Mezzanine. Since tramping through the park looking for the perfect spot for a Community Garden with Bec, she’d been formulating plans for it in the back of her mind. The past few months had kept her incredibly busy – and it had been hard to find the time to formalize them – but at last she’d gotten a proper proposal put together. Now, it was just a matter of waiting.

Keehani: Lieutenant! ::smile::

Robin stopped in her tracks and looked around for the source of the familiar voice – spotting Keehani in her work pod by the window, gesturing for Robin to come over. She returned the First Secretary’s enthusiastic smile and waved, changing her path and heading over towards Keehani.

Since their little ‘Pulp Fiction’ adventure on the holodeck, she’d been thinking of Amity’s First Secretary often. It had been such an unexpected pleasure to spend the time with her informally – really get to know her. Life as a Department Head could, at times, be a little isolating. Sure, Robin had spent time developing friendships with her colleagues, starting up the SRC volleyball teams, but there was always a little barrier between the officers under her command and the boss. It was understandable, professional, and proper… but in respect of that boundary, Robin often felt herself feeling slightly distant from her coworkers.

Keehani, however, had no such qualms – and she’d thoroughly enjoyed getting to know her on a more personal level. She was fun. A lot more fun than she’d initially expected, given the serious nature of her job on Amity, and ever since their playtime together, dancing and drinking milkshakes on the holodeck, she’d felt a magnetic warmth developing between the two.

((Keehani’s Pod))

Hopper: ::Broad smile::  Heeeyyy!!! It’s so good to see you!  ::Looking around::  Are you busy? I don’t want to interrupt you at work…  ::Admiring Keehani’s blouse::  Love your outfit by the way – that’s a fun print.

Keehani looked up at her from her desk, clearly appreciating the compliment.

Keehani: Well, it’s nice to see a Starfleet uniform on this floor for a change.  We don’t see enough of any of you.  ::smiling, gesturing:: And the skant is a perfect choice for you, by the way.  You wear it so well.

Robin did a little spin, reveling in the opportunity to talk fashion – even if it was uniform style – with someone she could relate to over the subject. As she finished her turn, she chuckled and took a seat across from Keehani.

Hopper: To be honest, I wear it because it’s comfier. But I do like that it stands out just a bit from most of the crowd. I don’t think there’s any reason we can’t bring a little style into the workplace.

There was a brief comfortable pause as the two women appreciated each other’s company, before Keehani asked the logical next question.

Keehani: What brings you up here?

Hopper: Oh, just dropping off a proposal for Rivi to look at. Nothing urgent or all that official really… Just some ideas I have about gardening in the park.  ::Slight shrug::  After this I was just going to find somewhere to get some PADDwork of my own done.

Keehani: ::raising finger:: It’s actually timing of The Four that you’re here, because ::reaching for nearby PADD:: I received this the other day and thought it might make you smile.

Robin’s eyebrows shot up.

Hopper: Oh?

She took the offered PADD from Keehani, and leaned back in her seat, taking a look over the information displayed. Were she not already wearing a surprised expression, she might have raised her brows then – instead, they crept slowly down until her brow was somewhat furrowed.

It was an application. From her sister. For the internship aboard Amity…  The one she’d mentioned in her letter that Robin had yet to respond to…  oO Oh boy… Oo

She looked back to Keehani, trying her best not to let her concerns overrun her thoughts in front of her Betazoid friend… Not that she was likely to be succeeding.

Hopper: Is this… Approved, or just, umm… early stages?

Keehani: The University on Tellar Prime doesn’t usually receive first-round invitations for internships from the Corp, but after speaking with you about your sister, ::proud smile:: I made sure Paris included them this cycle.  Sure enough, your sister applied.

Hopper: Gotcha.  ::Shaking her head, exhaling::  Yeah, she wrote me about this actually. Asked me to put in a good word for her… But, you know, I don’t want to influence the results. I don’t think that’d be very fair. She should be assessed on her merits, same as anyone else.

It wasn’t that Robin didn’t think Keri was smart enough, or clever enough, or determined enough to serve as an FDC diplomat. She’d always been sharp as a whip – in fact, it was her inability to contain that sharpness that was Keri’s biggest hurdle. While she was hopeful that Keri may have learned how to channel that inner ferocity better, Robin secretly feared that her time at the University of Tellar may have simply enhanced her already-pointed wit into a deadly laser.

Keehani: Response?

Robin set the PADD down, putting it back on Keehani’s desk.

Hopper: I’ve been meaning to write her actually. She and I haven’t been in touch much over the past…  ::too embarrassed to be specific::  …while. Maybe I can at least give her the news that her application is under review.

At least that gave her something to say other than “how’s being rude, academically, working out for you?”

Keehani smiled confidently and warmly, before quickly lifting then dropping her shoulders as she inhaled and exhaled through her nose.

Keehani: I’ve just about finished this report I have to deliver to an annoying person, and then I’m done for the day.  I have to meet him at Wet Goods, in a few minutes, would you like to come with me?  I’ll get rid of him and then we can have a drink.

Hopper: ::Smirking::  Actually, that’s where I was headed… I have to admit, I find evening PADDwork at home a bit loathsome. Sometimes I go the bar just to have some people around while I finish things off. To be honest, grabbing a drink with you sounds like a far better way to end the day.

Keehani: Response

As Keehani collected her things, Robin stood and smoothed out the front of her skant. If she’d known she’d be going out with Keehani that evening, she might have worn something more fitting of the occasion – but she’d spent enough time wearing the blue-and-black number by now that she’d figured out a few ways to ‘dress it up’ a bit. She held up a finger and motioned to the replicator in the ‘lobby’ at the end of the row of workpods and left Keehani for a second to finish off her report.

She weaved through the collected of chairs and coffee tables to the replicator module in the wall and navigated to her personal catalogue. There, she found a cropped sleeved black top she could throw on over the uniform, essentially converting it into a skirt. As she pressed the button, it materialized for her, neatly folded, and she retrieved it from the replicator and threw it on.

Keehani came walking over, seemingly ready to head to the bar, and Robin made her way to meet her. Holding out an arm, she grinned. It had been a long time – years, really – since she’d had a proper ‘girls night out’.

Hopper: Let’s do this!

((Fifteen Minutes Later, Wet Goods))

Summerside: You sure you two ladies don’t want any more company?  ::Holding up a glass with brown liquor in it::  I know how to have a fun time too, you know.

Robin tried not to look put off by the reporter’s question, but was pretty sure she failed judging by the scowl that spread across his face as he looked at hers.

Summerside: Alright, alright, I can take a hint.  ::To Keehani::  Thanks for the report, doll– ehh, Miss Ukinix.  ::Downing his remaining drink::  See you around.

Keehani: Response

As Mr. Summerside got up and left, a trail of bourbon vapour following him, Robin looked to her friend with mixed sympathy and amusement.

Hopper: Oof… You deal with that guy a lot?  ::Looking back at Summerside::  He kinda seems like a creep to me.

Keehani: Response

Hopper: ::Shrugging::  Whatever you say.  ::Shaking her head, chuckling::  I’m just glad that I don’t have to deal with the press in my position.  ::Looking around the bar::  Alright, where do you wanna sit – and more importantly, should I order us a large or an extra large basket of curly fries?

Keehani: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)