Ensign Nathan Richards - Live Fire

1 view

Travis St. John

Dec 5, 2022, 3:05:02 AM12/5/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Amity Outpost, Security Center))

Richards: Sir, I’m ready whenever everyone is for my portion of this training.

Iovianus: Of course. The floor is yours and the range is programmed, when you are ready you may activate it.

Nathan nodded, and stepped up to the table. He pulled the large, black weapons case into the center of the table and opened it so the others could see. The arranged weapons inside the case included an assortment of ‘old fashioned’ rifles and handguns as well as a more modern projectile weapon, the TR-116

Hopper: Cool!

Nathan noticed Robin seemed very excited to see and possibly handle one of the projectile weapons. This brought a smile to his face.

Hopper: ::Looking over Richards’ firearms collection:: How do they work? ::A glance at Ikaia:: And, um, how do we use them safely?

Wong: Response

Iovianus: He has some testing to do on our dampening field and came up with an ingenious way to explore that as well.

Nathan smiled and nodded. He didn’t expect to be handling the dampening field project during this training session, but it seemed fitting.

Hopper: Oh really? ::Eyebrow raised:: Do tell.

Richards: So, a normal dampening field draws in whatever energy that attempts to pass through it, right? Making communications, transporters, and even phasers virtually useless. Projectile weapons, however, are not affected by dampening fields which makes them dangerous if we run into someone that doesn’t believe in energy weapons. I had the thought of seeing if there were any modifications that could be made to our dampening fields to correct this possible issue.

Iovianus: Meanwhile, Knowing that we can still operate in those conditions is important as well.

Wong: Response

Hopper: Alright, well, I won’t say I’m not intrigued.

Richards: ::Smirking:: I thought you would be.

Iovianus: Choices on where to start seem to be almost crippling

Wong: Response

Hopper: Right, first things first - this is a pistol, right?

Nathan nodded as she pointed to a Colt 1911.

Hopper: And that’s a hunting rifle?

Nathan nodded again as she pointed to the KAR98k. While not so much a hunting rifle, it was the closest he had in his collection.

Hopper: ::Looking at Nathan with questioning eyes:: I take it I should probably start small here as well.

Nathan watched Cassian lift the long rifle out of the case, and thought for a moment. While he might find it interesting to watch Robin attempt one of the handguns first, he felt he should probably have them start with something that didn’t ‘kick’ too much.

Richards: When it comes to these ancient projectile weapons, smaller isn’t always easier.

Wong/Hopper: Response

Richards: ::Picking up the 1911:: With antique weapons like these, gunpowder was used to propel the projectile from the barrel. Essentially you hold a tiny explosion in your hand when you pull the trigger.

Iovianus: Your own little warp core to detonate each time.

Nathan nodded at Cassian’s analogy.

Wong/Hopper: Response

Richards: With handguns, the only thing to stabilize the gun and yourself, is your wrist. If you aren’t prepared for it when you squeeze that trigger, you are going to be in the Medical Center with a broken wrist. I think we should maybe start with a rifle. ::pulling out an XM5 rifle:: With a longer body and shoulder stock, all of the force is transferred into your body as opposed to your wrist.

Iovianus: It can still do damage regardless. ::bringing the rifle up to aim down range:: There is no limit to our safety today.

Wong/Hopper: Response

Richards: But, I don’t want to ruin anyone’s fun. ::Smirking:: So I will let you choose which one you want to use and help you get familiar with it. Go ahead and pick one.

Iovianus: I think the KAR and I are having a nice conversation already.

Nathan chuckled. The KAR had always been one of his favorites. Accurate, easy to handle, and there was something very satisfying about the bolt action nature of the weapon.

Wong/Hopper: Response

Richards: While you two pick out which ones you want to use, I will get the program loaded and ready.

Nathan moved over to the control console, and entered in the code for the training program that he had set up. It was one that would allow each of them to get used to handling the firearms, and let them experience what it was like to use those firearms in a combat setting. Nothing dangerous of course.

Iovianus: So what have you got in store for us?

Wong/Hopper: Response

Richards: Well, first we are going to start with some stationary target practice so you guys can get used to the feel of the firearms. Then, we will move on to moving targets, again nothing too ‘over the top’ just simple targets. Once you all feel comfortable, we will move into a more ‘situation ready’ simulation with smart targets.

Iovianus/Wong/Hopper: Response

Nathan moved back to the table to see what the other two had chosen for their weapons.

Richards: ::To Wong:: Good choice. That one will feel like an extension of you. Very easy to handle and fire.

Wong: Response

Nathan turned to Robin and stopped.

Richards: Umm…Are you sure you want to use that one? That one is a bit of a beast…

Hopper: Response

Nathan held up his hands in defeat. He wasn’t going to argue with her. Perhaps she needed to find out for herself.

Richards: Alright. Pick a lane and get ready. I will come by and show you how to load them and hold them for the most comfortable experience. You look like you already have yours all taken care of, Commander.

Iovanus: Response

Wong/Hopper: Response

Richards: Alright, Let’s get started.

Iovianus/Wong/Hopper: Response