Keehani Ukinix - Sensible Sensing

Wil Ukinix

Oct 12, 2021, 4:19:24 AM10/12/21
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Flashback - Vataix Estate, Betazed – After Rivi's ceremony where she is officially named an ambassador))

Keehani
: ~~Ambassador Vataix.  ::Offering hand, warm smile:: Congratulations. ~~

Vataix: ~~Thank you, Miss Ukinix. I hadn't realized you'd come.~~

Keehani: ~~ ::Looking around:: Oh, I have my ways. ~~

If there was one thing that Keehani Ukinix inherited from her matriarch-in-dispute grandmother Vaxa, it was the confidence of a Noble.

Not that Keehani actually knew when she was growing up that her grandmother was an ex-noble.  It was only in 2396 that she found out, when Vaxa was diagnosed with an acute neural disorder which was a possible side effect of Empathic Synaesthesia.

After Vaxa subsequently told Keehani, the young Betazoid was furious. The naturally determined Keehani immediately began the long legal process of regaining control of the Ninth House from the appointed administrators.  In truth, disillusionment with Betazoid Nobility was what probably drove her to join The Guardians of Betazoid, a political activist group seeking independence from the Federation.  It was subsequently disbanded when they were linked to the Maquis Reborn, a terrorist group responsible for a psionic attack on Rixx.  Keehani renounced her membership of The Guardians (which all but dissolved anyway), but that didn’t stop her being put on a Federation watch list.

Vataix: ~~I'm a bit surprised, given your previous views on Betazed's involvement with the Federation.~~

Keehani: ~~I will come to the point, Ambassador.  I have recently graduated Exopolitics at the University of Betazed, majoring in Diplomacy, with flying colors.  Through family contacts I have learned of Amity Outpost, and ::handing over PADD with CV:: I would like to join the Federation Diplomatic Corps.~~

Rivi took a glance at the PADD without accepting it, furrowed her brow in disbelief before she continued to the next platter, where an attendant was waiting.

The new Ambassador took one look at the PADD while furrowing her brow.  Keehani sensed disbelief in Rivi, which was to be expected – and in fact, Rivi seemed more focused on the food on offer.

Vataix: ~~You're joking. This is some sort of laugh for you, isn't it? It's not very funny, I have to say. ~~ ::to the attendant:: Oh, thank you! Yes, I'll have two please.

The young exo-politics graduate wasn’t about to give up that easily.

Keehani: ~~You need me.  I am perfectly qualified for this position, my studies were focused on diplomatic relations with jurisdictions beyond the Federation, I’m a fellow Betazoid, and I’m a hard worker.  ::Confident smile:: The Four have aligned the stars.~~

Vataix: ~~You're also on a Federation watch list. You think because your cousin is the Starfleet attache, you're going to have some clout? Did he give you that impression?~~

Keehani slowly turned her head and looked at her Human/Betazoid hybrid second cousin Wil Ukinix in the distance.  He was standing next to a short, red-haired fellow Starfleet officer, slowly sipping a beer and for some reason looking a little pale.  He still hadn’t seen Keehani yet.

The corner of the left side of her mouth turned up into a cheeky, proud smile.

Keehani: He doesn’t know.

Vataix: I'm not giving you special treatment.

Keehani: ::Looking back at Rivi:: Of course, Ambassador, I wouldn’t expect it.

As she watched Rivi chewing on a cookie, she knew what the Noble had just said was the truth.  Given Keehani’s history with the Guardians, and the fact she knew that Wil would not be enthusiastic about the idea, she genuinely didn’t expect special treatment.  She expected to work hard, learn fast, and apply what she had learned through her years of university studies.

Vataix: ~~I'll take a look at your CV tonight. Until then, consider it a "tentative" assignment.~~

Keehani sensed that Rivi’s thinking was beyond the “tentative” stage.  But she played along…

Keehani: ::Knowing smile:: Of course, Ambassador.

That was punctuated when Ms Vataix snatched the PADD out of Keehani’s hands, which made her smile get a little bit bigger.

Vataix: ~~And if you try to pull any of your "activist" nonsense from your university days while a part of my staff, I'll drop you off at the nearest Borg transwarp hub. Are we clear?~~

Keehani: ~I assure you Ambassador, my Guardians of Betazed are finished.  ::smile wanes:: I have learnt my lesson the hard way.~~

Keehani was greeted with a smile that could launch a hundred thousand vessels.

Vataix: Welcome aboard, First Secretary Ukinix. Now if you'll excuse me, I promised Mr. Deha of the FNS an interview.

Keehani: ::Eyes Sparkling, genuine smile:: Thank you, Ambassador.

Vataix: Be sure to enjoy the rest of the House of Hearth's hospitality.

Once Rivi had turned around and was making her way towards the FNS reporter, Keehani looked at the ground, closed her eyes tight, and screwed up her nose in joy.    She rose a clenched a fist in front of her chest.

Keehani: ~~YES!~~

The Betazoids in the room nearby suddenly all stopped their conversations, and looked in her direction.  When Keehani opened her eyes, all she saw was black eyes staring back at her.

Keehani: ::Palms up:: ~~Oh. Sorry!~~ ::Grimaced, quiet whisper:: Sorry.

She chewed her smiling bottom lip as she made her way towards the door.  Just as she was about to leave, she looked at Wil and considered going over to tell him the news, but stopped.  She would tell him on the Thor instead.

End Scene for Keehani!

Keehani Ukinix
Graduate, Exopolitics (Diplomacy Major)
University of Betazed (Medara Campus)