Lt. Robin Hopper: Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Part 1)

Robin Hopper

Jan 31, 2023, 7:53:58 PM1/31/23
to Amity Outpost

((OOC – Moving this scene forward to a close, as per the 48/72 Hr Rule. I’m also splitting it into two parts, to make it a more digestible read, as it’s gotten rather long, thanks to some excellent simming taking us from place-to-place! You can reply in two parts as well, or reply in one part starting where your first new tags are.))

((Amity Outpost – Science & Research Center, Level 7))

Standing in the middle of the SRC’s seventh level (dedicated to various Physics-based sciences), Robin watched the Hirogen with a combination of curiosity and nervousness as they examined their surroundings. She couldn’t be sure, but it seemed to her like they were always assessing – looking for weaknesses, exits, hiding places, traps… she couldn’t be entirely sure. Perhaps it was just their nature.

Tazik: This would make for a great trophy room.

Robin tilted her head, scanning the room with her eyes skeptically.

Iko: Well, it's not.

Robin shot a look at Iko and crossed her arms. She hoped the Security Officer would take it as a sign that any unnecessary contradiction of the Hirogen at this stage was not helpful.

Fortunately, Tazik merely smiled again in response.

Tazik: I know. But it could be.

Veers: AAaanyway, do you have any sort of questions you’d like to propose. I think we can talk warp engines, at least, the theoretical science behind it. That or… Ensign S’Raga can talk about our upgraded communications systems that let us talk between our quadrant and here.

Hopper: Indeed. The Hirogen, of course, are no strangers to advanced communications systems – such as your famed Communications Relay Network. We’ve made great strides in communications over great distances, as Ensign S’Raga can elaborate on…

S’Raga: Indeed! When the USS Voyager was stranded in the Delta Quadrant, establishing communication with their crew became one of Starfleet's top priorities. The first method to yield promising results involved sending a subspace signal through an artificial micro-wormhole, which allowed Starfleet to send small data packets to Voyager. Eventually, Starfleet was able to successfully bounce a phased tachyon beam off of a quantum singularity, which allowed live video feeds for several minutes per day. Since then, we've been using a combination of both these communication methods to maintain contact with the Alpha quadrant, continuously making improvements wherever possible.

As S’Raga spoke, Robin took to the central console and began pulling up visualizations of the technology and theories he was addressing. She was careful to avoid anything overly-technical – which would not only be difficult to comprehend from a holographic model, but might also provide more information than they were willing to as yet. Still, she hoped it would provide context for what the HCO was discussing.

oO I hope Veers and Nadeshiko are taking notes… Oo  she thought. Watching the Hirogen delegation and determining what seemed to interest them – then focusing in on those topics – was the best way, in her mind, to convince them of the value that peace with the Federation had to offer.

Nadeshiko: Response

Hopper: ::Chiming in::  And it’s not just communications signals which can be sent across greater distances. We’ve had some leaps in transporter technology as well, along similar lines.

S’Raga: Right! In the last few years, Starfleet scientists and engineers have achieved an over thirty percent increase in the range of our transporters, and we're optimistic we'll see even greater results from that project over the coming years.

Tazik: And how has this been achieved?

There was a brief pause, as the other Betas perked up. Robin noted their keen interest in transporter technology. It made sense, given their typical Hunting strategy. Preferring one-on-one combat – what they called a “fair fight” – to simply blowing their targets out of existence from the safety and comfort of their starships, it was typical for Hirogen hunting parties to disable their Prey’s shields, beam aboard, and engage them.

Iko: I don't believe we are at the liberty to discuss that.

Hopper: ::An affirming nod to Bec::  Not at present, no.  ::To Tazik::  We’re here to demonstrate some of the technological advancements that the Federation has made. Technologies which are available to members of the United Federation of Planets and their allies.

The flip-side of course, in withholding the details, was to show the Hirogen just how far Federation technology had come – and let them consider how it might make them a stronger and more resilient foe, if their minds should stray that way. Robin understood the Hirogen appetite for “worthy prey” – but she also knew that they were not truly as ‘relentless’ as they liked to claim. Hirogen Hunters generally didn’t have a death wish and would turn from a fight they knew they could not win, so that they might live to hunt another day.

Nadeshiko/S'Raga/Veers: Responses? (Optional)

Robin nodded in support of her colleagues, then turned to face the assembled Betas once more, tucking her hands behind her back and straightening up.

Hopper: I’m sure you can all understand then, that any trade of technology with the Federation will need to be deemed mutually beneficial.  ::Smirk::  We can’t make things too easy.

Tazik: How unfortunate.

The Hirogen were hard to read. She couldn’t be too sure, but she thought – or perhaps merely hoped – that under Tazik’s outward disappointment, she sensed a spark of interest. If it was there, she intended to do everything in her power to stoke it. If the Hirogen were enticed, drawn in by the allure of the Federation’s scientific advancements, perhaps they stood a chance. After all, that had been Janeway’s tactic.

With that in mind, Robin pointed towards the Warp Science lab, leading the group towards it.

Hopper: Another thing you might find fascinating is the breakthroughs we’ve made recently in Warp Theory and Quantum Slipstream technology.  ::Turning around, walking backwards as she spoke::  This outpost’s origins were in Borg Research – a threat I’m sure we’re both familiar with. Research into Slipstream was originally inspired by Voyager’s time here in the Delta Quadrant, and it functions somewhat like Borg Transwarp technology.

Veers: One of my personal favorite rooms and projects.

They entered the Warp Science lab, the large sliding glass doors parting to grant them entry. As they stepped inside, they found themselves staring at a facility resembling a (somewhat miniaturized) dilithium energizer room, complete with a functional matter/antimatter reactor.

Tazik: Now this. This is something I am very interested in. Please, do go on.

S’Raga: Amity Outpost really couldn't have been possible without Quantum Slipstream technology.

Nadeshiko: Response

Once the group was assembled, Robin stepped between the others and the reactor, turning her back to it. While it was nowhere near the size of Amity’s main reactors (housed in Engineering), only used for research and demonstrative purposes, it still emitted a familiar and satisfying humm that emanated throughout the room and made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end.

Hopper: While different technologies and resources are used by Quantum Slipstream Drives than traditional Warp Drives, we still use a matter/antimatter reaction as a primary power source – and the QSD fields are generated through navigational deflector systems, not unlike Warp.  ::Turning to face the Hirogen::  This means that many ships capable of Warp travel can be upgraded, with relative ease, to allow QSD speeds.

She made sure to drive home this last point. While QSD technology took years of dedicated scientists and engineers working collectively to develop – not something that could be easily duplicated or reverse-engineered – it could be deployed with relative simplicity. It was an extremely enticing carrot to dangle… one they would need to be careful not to overplay

S’Raga: Developing Quantum Slipstream technology definitely didn't come easily. The problem of overcoming the phase variances of the quantum field took years to overcome.

Beta Tazik nodded – Robin could see the spark in his eye now.  oO I guess the Hirogen are hungry for more than just blood and guts. Oo  She glanced at Veers, raising an eyebrow.

Veers: I can talk a bit deeper on this if we’d like. I specialize in Quantum and Warp Physics

Robin nodded, stepping aside and letting the Ensign take the ‘center stage’ for a moment. As Veers spoke, she watched the Hirogen keenly. Several of the ‘secondary’ Betas leaned in to listen, one even licked his lips – a good sign, she hoped. Tapping on a nearby console, she brought up another Holographic display, as she had while S’Raga presented.

Veers: So, when Admiral Janeway first arrived, she was roughly… 75,000 lightyears from familiar space, give or take a few hundred. The safe cruising speed at warp for the older Intrepid Class starships was around Warp 9.2… I think 9.186 was the exact figure but I might be wrong there.

Comfortably, yes, but the Intrepid was made for exploration. Pushed to the limit, Voyager had been capable of safely maintaining a maximum warp speed of 9.975 for over 12 hours ((OOC – Source, Source)). But Robin could see that Veers wasn’t talking about pushing the ship to its limits – she was talking about sustainable warp travel over great distances without hope of drydock or refresh.

Veers: So to make this easier math, let's say they traveled at Warp 9 in perfect conditions, seeing as warp factors are variable due to environmental conditions, that’s roughly a tenth of a lightyear an hour, 2.4 lightyears in a day… So eight hundred seventy…. Seven, in a year. It would take them roughly…. ::types in the numbers in her PADD:: 85 and a half years.

She punched in the numbers Veers provided displaying a floating graphical representation of the journey behind the Ensign.

Veers: With quantum slipstream we make that trip in around 6 weeks depending on the starship. Though these are still generation 1 QSDs,  if we make any breakthroughs in material science and power generation we can cut that down to about a week and a half.

Robin smiled to herself.  oO She’s been keeping up with the research. That’s good. Oo

Veers: The largest benefit though is like Lieutenant Hopper said, this system is a relatively simple modification to the deflector arrays of starships, old and new, to be able to use the QSD assuming that its engines can provide enough power.

Tazik: Would you ::glancing at Iko:: if permitted of course, be able to describe to me how exactly this technology works?

Robin grinned, but quickly stifled the expression, reducing it to a simmering smile. Tazik appeared almost ravenous now. She had to admit she was surprised. She hadn’t expected a species so closely associated with killing to be so intrigued by scientific discovery and starship design. It was refreshing, and made her question just how well she thought – how well the Federation thought – they knew the Hirogen.

Iko: We are not obligated to share… ::glancing at Hopper for a moment:: However, if you have anything you may be willing to share in return?

Hopper: As I mentioned, Beta Tazik, these technologies aren’t ‘giveaways’ – but the Federation is interested in valuable exchanges. You’ve seen some of the things we may be able to bring to the negotiating table, if your people should want to sit down with us… Perhaps you can consider what advancements the Hirogen might share with us. I know I’d be interested in seeing that proposal.

Nadeshiko/S'Raga/Veers: Response

The Hirogen Beta smiled.

Tazik: Well, what would you like to know?

Robin smiled in return. She was feeling more confident now – more on an even playing field than she had ever expected to. But there was a deep curiosity, perhaps a sense of adventure within the Hirogen Beta that she found… relatable.

Hopper: ::Turning the Beta’s own words back to him::  I want to see… whatever it is you want to show me.

Tazik: Response

Hopper: ::Grinning::  Well, in the interest of fairness, let’s finish our tour… See how the dinner this evening goes… And if you’re still open to talking with us, perhaps you can put together your own demonstration for us.  ::Raising her eyebrows for emphasis::  A mutual exchange.

TBC in Part 2...

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)
Chief Science Officer, Amity Outpost