Lt. Robin Hopper: The Love Boat

Robin Hopper

Nov 28, 2022, 4:01:39 PM11/28/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Turbolift from Science & Research Center to “The Cellar”))

Robin had been learning to enjoy the brief turbolift ride from the terminus station at Amity’s Science & Research Center down, past the Starfleet Science levels, to the aptly-named “Cellar” (officially titled the Ancillary Support Section). At least once a week since her arrival on the Outpost, she had made the trip down, often with coffee in hand, to find Nathan working away on his pet project…

The knowledge that they were nearly done – that soon the project would end and he would go back to full-time duties in Engineering and she would go back to spending full days in the SRC’s administrative section – weighed on her like a little lead balloon. She was happy for The Targhee to be fully restored and to see her fly again, but a small part of her wanted to find some new issue that would keep them working on it for a few weeks longer.

As the lift doors opened, she did her best to shake off the feeling, and be present. Then again, Nathan often made it hard to be anything but present. She liked to think that she had met precious few people who could meet – or exceed – her own zest for life. He was one.

Richards: And he’s watching us all with the eeeyyyeeeesss…Of the tigeeeerrrrrr!

She shook her head and rolled her eyes as she stepped off the lift to the sound of Richards singing and dancing atop the shuttle, but couldn’t contain the beaming smile that instantly spread across her face. As she approached, Nathan spotted her and slid down one of the wings with an equally-wide grin.

Richards: Good morning, Lieutenant!

Hopper: Good afternoon  ::she corrected him::.  Working hard today, or hardly working?

She held out the drink tray, letting Nathan take his cup of coffee and then taking her own. She turned to the crate on her right, adding the tray to a little stack that had been forming with each day they had worked together.

Richards: It’s a good day today. My girl is complete! ::Smiling at Robin:: I couldn’t have done it without you. Thank you.

She felt a little pang of sadness, looking at the stack of coffee trays. His words made it all the more clear – that was it for their work on The Targhee. She took a sip of her coffee and turned back, looking at the shuttle, and avoiding eye contact with Nathan for the moment while she tried to get her own emotions in check.

Hopper: It was my pleasure…  ::Taking another sip before finally looking at him::  Thanks for making it so fun.

Richards: So you did enjoy the show? ::winking and laughing:: I’m just in such a good mood! ::Jumping around a bit::

Hopper: ::Chuckling::  God, you’re like a kid at Christmas. You’d think you got a new hoverbike or something.  ::Shaking her head::  I’m glad this shuttle has been good for you. Commander Carter was right, this was a good way for you to work things through, hmm?

She took another sip of her coffee, and eyed Richards’ prosthetic arm. He seemed to be adjusting well to it, and it seemed to be giving him a lot less trouble than the temporary one replicated for him in the field. It would likely still take years of adjustment before it felt like a part of him, even with advances in bioneural feedback pathways.

She could remember what it was like, being fitted for a new leg every few months, growing up. They’d copy over as much of the adaptive programming from one to the next as they could, but it was always a process – replacing a part of your body, learning to use it again, learning to feel like it was a part of you; The ghost of the old one, long-since recycled, still haunting your neurons.

Richards: Response

Hopper: Good for you. Seriously, this is an achievement. I hope you have a plan to celebrate! She needs a proper launch, maybe a little ceremony or something. Ambassador Vataix and Commander Carter should be there at least.

Robin sidled up beside Nathan, bumping his arm with her elbow as they looked on the shuttle together. The paint job really did make it look ‘complete’ – no longer a cobbled together mess of components. She was pretty.

Richards: Response

Hopper: Are you kidding? I wouldn’t miss it.  ::Teasingly::  Hell, if I’m not sitting in the cockpit when you launch this thing, you’re going to need a few more weeks of therapy.

Richards: Response

Hopper: ::A teasing smirk::  Good boy.

She took another sip of her coffee – but ‘playtime’ was cut short at the sound of the turbolift doors swishing open behind them. Robin turned to see who it was and, while she had been relishing the chance to spend one last afternoon indulging in their typical banter, she wasn’t displeased at the sight of Amity’s Chief Counselor at all.

Hopper: Oh, hey! Commander, you made it!  ::Chuckling::  I’m afraid there’s not much more work to be done, but… ::Pointing to the shuttle::  Take a look.

Carter/Richards: Response

Robin smiled as Richards and Carter discussed the shuttle. It was sweet to see Nathan so proud of his work – and so eager to show it off.

Hopper: ::Agreeing::  Isn’t she a beauty?

Carter/Richards: Response

Hopper: Well, why don’t we get in there? You’ve done so much work since I saw her last – we could both use a tour, hmm? Don’t you think, Commander?

Carter/Richards: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)