[BACKSIM] Lt. Robin Hopper: She Bangs

Robin Hopper

Dec 9, 2022, 8:30:15 PM12/9/22
to Amity Outpost

((OOC – This is the last Shore Leave sim that’s still ‘Open’ for me. Moving it forward and closing it, as per the 48/72 hr rule.))

((Amity Outpost – Security Center))

Robin clasped her hands together, excited at the prospect of using a vintage projectile weapon for the very first time. Many of the classic literary heroes she revered toted a gun from time to time, and she couldn’t help but picture herself exploring the “mysterious” and “exotic” Amazon Basin (now a massive and well-charted nature preserve) in the party of Professor George Edward Challenger, a rifle slung over her shoulder.

Hopper: Cool!

She looked at Nathan with a twinkle in her eyes, and caught his seemingly-equally-enthusiastic smile. As the one who had brought the historical Earth weapons to their training scenario, she imagined he must feel gratified at their keen interest.

Hopper: ::Looking over Richards’ firearms collection:: How do they work? ::A glance at Ikaia:: And, um, how do we use them safely?

Wong: Response

Iovianus: He has some testing to do on our dampening field and came up with an ingenious way to explore that as well.

Nathan smiled and nodded. He didn’t expect to be handling the dampening field project during this training session, but it seemed fitting.

Hopper: Oh really? ::Eyebrow raised:: Do tell.

Richards: So, a normal dampening field draws in whatever energy that attempts to pass through it, right? Making communications, transporters, and even phasers virtually useless. Projectile weapons, however, are not affected by dampening fields which makes them dangerous if we run into someone that doesn’t believe in energy weapons. I had the thought of seeing if there were any modifications that could be made to our dampening fields to correct this possible issue.

She nodded along with the explanation. From a physics perspective, it was somewhat simplified; the performance of dampening fields varied between different energy applications, it was true – however, a projectile, such as a bullet, would apply multiple forms of energy in rapid succession; mechanical, thermal, elastic, and so on. Much of this energy would be captured by existing dampening field designs, though mechanical applications had always been a weak-point.

Iovianus: Meanwhile, Knowing that we can still operate in those conditions is important as well.

Wong: Response

Robin placed her hands on her hips – ready to get started.

Hopper: Alright, well, I won’t say I’m not intrigued.

Richards: ::Smirking:: I thought you would be.

Iovianus: Choices on where to start seem to be almost crippling

Wong: Response

She turned, once more, back to the antique weapons collection.

Hopper: Right, first things first - this is a pistol, right?

Her eyes flicked to Nathan, who nodded in confirmation.

Hopper: And that’s a hunting rifle?

Again, he nodded.

Hopper: ::Looking at Nathan with questioning eyes:: I take it I should probably start small here as well.

Having fared reasonably well with a phaser rifle on their recent mission to Idrustix, she had opted to try the more-diminutive Aquilla Type Two phaser during their time-trial with Iovianus.

Richards: When it comes to these ancient projectile weapons, smaller isn’t always easier.

Hopper: ::Smirking::  So, bigger really is better, hmm?

Wong: Response

Hopper: ::To Nathan:: Okay, what do you recommend then?

Richards: ::Picking up the Colt 1911 pistol:: With antique weapons like these, gunpowder was used to propel the projectile from the barrel. Essentially you hold a tiny explosion in your hand when you pull the trigger.

Iovianus: Your own little warp core to detonate each time.

Robin’s expression shifted to one of slight concern as she glanced down at the gun in Nathan’s hand.  oO That sounds like an exaggeration… Right? Oo  While she understood the theoretical mechanics of the weapons, she was also beginning to wonder whether her enthusiasm to ‘try one’ had been misplaced.

Hopper: ::Taking it more seriously::  Okayyy… Well that sounds bad…  We’re sure these weapons are still in safe working order, though, right?

Wong: Response

Fortunately, Nathan offered some additional explanation, which helped to put her at ease:

Richards: With handguns, the only thing to stabilize the gun and yourself, is your wrist. If you aren’t prepared for it when you squeeze that trigger, you are going to be in the Medical Center with a broken wrist. I think we should maybe start with a rifle. ::pulling out an XM5 rifle:: With a longer body and shoulder stock, all of the force is transferred into your body as opposed to your wrist.

Iovianus: It can still do damage regardless. ::bringing the rifle up to aim down range:: There is no limit to our safety today.

Robin nodded. In the time they’d known each other, Robin had never found any reason not to trust Nathan at his word.

Hopper: Well, if you both think it can be done safely, then I’m not going to doubt you. After all, I’m not the expert here.

Wong: Response

Richards: But, I don’t want to ruin anyone’s fun. ::Smirking:: So I will let you choose which one you want to use and help you get familiar with it. Go ahead and pick one.

Iovianus: I think the KAR and I are having a nice conversation already.

Nathan chuckled – but Robin was busy, surveying the options on the table before her. Despite his advice, it was hard to look at the much larger guns and imagine them being ‘easier’ to handle…

Hopper: I’ll take a minute to look them over, I guess. Find something that looks ‘manageable’.

Wong: Response

Richards: While you two pick out which ones you want to use, I will get the program loaded and ready.

Nathan moved over to the control console, and entered in the code for the training program that he had set up.

Iovianus: So what have you got in store for us?

Wong: Response?

Richards: Well, first we are going to start with some stationary target practice so you guys can get used to the feel of the firearms. Then, we will move on to moving targets, again nothing too ‘over the top’ just simple targets. Once you all feel comfortable, we will move into a more ‘situation ready’ simulation with smart targets.

Iovianus/Wong: Response

As Ikaia made his selection, Robin let out a little sigh. She felt a little like she was being asked to pick from behind a curtain. Even though she could see her choices, none of them jumped out at her as being ‘right’...

Richards: ::To Wong:: Good choice. That one will feel like an extension of you. Very easy to handle and fire.

Wong: Response

…Finally she settled on one. She didn’t know exactly what it was, but it seemed ‘simpler’ than some of the others and she expected it was older. It had a long barrel and a sizeable shoulder stock.  oO Following all the advice… Oo

Richards: Umm…Are you sure you want to use that one? That one is a bit of a beast…

Hopper: ::Annoyed::  Ugh. Nathan… I’ve got to use one of them!  ::Shaking her head and chuckling::  Look, I don’t know what I’m doing, so just… Show me how to do it right, okay?

Nathan held up his hands in defeat – as he should – and Robin ‘Hmph’ed in satisfaction. He was almost certainly right that whatever this thing she was holding was out of her league, but from the sounds of it, they all might be. So she might as well pick one and get on it with. Perhaps it would simply ‘get easier’ from here if she started with a challenge.

Richards: Alright. Pick a lane and get ready. I will come by and show you how to load them and hold them for the most comfortable experience. You look like you already have yours all taken care of, Commander.

Iovanus: Response

Wong: Response

As Nathan made his way around to Ikaia and then Robin, adjusting their stance and positioning – explaining how to properly use the weapons they were holding – Robin tried to re-enter the ‘excited’ headspace she had been in before… though of course now the unwelcome image of the thing exploding in her hands kept forcing its way into her fantasies.

Hopper: ::As Nathan stepped away::  Okay… I’m as ready as I’m going to be.

Richards: Alright, Let’s get started.

Iovianus/Wong: Response

Robin watched as Iovianus and then Ikaia, in succession, gave their weapons a try.

Hopper: Wow! These things are loud

Iovianus/Wong/Richards: Response

She turned to look down the range at her target, trying to imagine some sort of Victorian-era prehistoric ‘monster’ leaping out of the jungle foliage at her as she let out a slow breath.

Hopper: Here goes nothing…

Iovianus/Wong/Richards: Response

And as she fired the gun, despite all her attempt to ‘ready’ herself, the force of the shot blew the gun straight back out of her hands, leaving her standing – stunned – still facing down the range with her hands in the air…

Hopper: Holy #$%@!

END

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)